Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He missed a glorious chance. He can get great in so many ways, but that is simply not good enough.

Him missing that chance does not negate all the good he did today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Half chance at best. Ball was slow and Ollie had to literally wait for it to catch up to him. People are in here acting like it was a 1v1 versus the keeper. 

I think people are mislead by the quality of the shape of the pass, the way it cut through the defenders but it didn't have the pace on it, it was an almost perfect pass but it wasn't perfect 

Its not as easy a chance as it looks

But the touch was poor

And as useless says that chance wasn't why we didn't win today, we were poor, can see why people are venting but the constant bashing of him is boring 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Certainly has turned it around. Hopefully he can bring this into next season but I still think we hills be signing a better striker. Ings and Watkins just aren’t quite cutting the mustard although having said that I guess their goal return lately isn’t actually that bad…

He's scored in eleven seperate games this season, which is the same as last season, and even if he plays 90 minutes in the next two games will have played quite a few minutes less than last season. Main difference in terms of goal scoring is that this season he isn't having games where he scores more than one goal.

I'm a doubter of him, looked good today though, may be getting it back, hope he does. No excuse for those poor touches though, these are premier League footballers, most could trap and turn with a ball, even if it's not coming down exactly how you want it, I've seen it in League 1.

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm a doubter of him, looked good today though, may be getting it back, hope he does. No excuse for those poor touches though, these are premier League footballers, most could trap and turn with a ball, even if it's not coming down exactly how you want it, I've seen it in League 1.

Whilst I generally agree with his first touch letting him down, I think it's worth remembering that the majority of these are taking place as he's under pressure from defenders.  He can't bring the ball in to trap it (as would be the normal situation), he has to control it... "outwards" if that makes sense, so that his second touch can lead to finding a teammate.

Often, though, it has far too much "outward" and seems to ping off him.  I think it's the nature of the beast tbh.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Fed on scraps and staggering we dropped an extra striker against the lowest of low blocks.

Fed on scraps. he needs to start looking for space, like Ings did 10 seconds after he came on. Watkin's came off for a reason tonight!

• Like 3

Bit of England media I stumbled across. Ollie Vs Grealish.

Receive the ball in the D, one touch to control, one touch to pass into a target goal. 

Watch Ollie's first set of attempts. 

He's a good player for us, but this sums up his issues pretty well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Bit of England media I stumbled across. Ollie Vs Grealish.

Receive the ball in the D, one touch to control, one touch to pass into a target goal. 

Watch Ollie's first set of attempts. 

He's a good player for us, but this sums up his issues pretty well.

wow.

dont it just.

He’s aware of those issues. Good interview with him in the Guardian today where he sets himself a target of 20 goals next season and says he wants to step up. He’s 26 so coming into his peak years now, his daughter is 8 months old so he’ll be getting a full night’s sleep next season - lets see what happens and I’m sure plenty of people on VT will pile on and say he’ll never hit 20 goals but credit to him that’s his plan.

Â