Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Watkins is a player who’s game relies on his pace and pressing, not his technical ability or finishing.

I’d rather sell too early than too late.  Once his legs go the drop off will be quick… now, ollie seems to take great care of his body so I can’t see him having a gabby type drop off… but he’s put miles on his legs the last few seasons.

selling for 40-50m opens you up to comfortably spend into that 60-80m bracket of striker… we have Ings and Archer for cover until we get the move made.

it makes sense to me.

• Like 3

Its very easy to make a case for him to stay and also very easy a case for him to be sold. He is one of those players. 

Strong ..selfish

Amazing work rate... lack of vision

Barely injured... bad touch 

Good shot on him... will shoot even when its going to be blocked. 

Scores pretty regularly... scores more often from a mistake due to his workrate that lets him score rather than pure skill 

Pretty quick .. pretty inconsistent 

You can go on all night really with these opposing views . ... 

He will go to the World Cup  as he is a managers dream who will offer different things to Kane and Abraham who he will be on the plane with barring injury 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

No way should we sell him. Hes a key player for us moving forward

Not really!  He’s not key.  If we keep him then great but if not it’s not a big deal, he’s limited in many ways and good in a number of ways.  If we get a good offer it’s reasonable to think about it and whether another striker we are interested in, if we are, would be a better fit.  He’s certainly one that could be moved on if the right opportunity arises.

Just now, nick76 said:

Not really!  He’s not key.  If we keep him then great but if not it’s not a big deal, he’s limited in many ways and good in a number of ways.  If we get a good offer it’s reasonable to think about it and whether another striker we are interested in, if we are, would be a better fit.  He’s certainly one that could be moved on if the right opportunity arises.

I think he is, i know you like ings but im not sure hes going to remain fit to risk selling Watkins who is still a work in progress. Id keep them both and focus on getting a top class cb and cdm.

keep watkins, we paid 33 mil for him so 50 mil isnt very good imo. he has still got 10 goals for us in the prem this season and thats with an underwhelming one as a whole in the league. guarantee if he goes to west ham he will score a hatful for them. 24 goals since arriving in 2020 isnt bad at all and he will get better as him and ings build more of a rapport. we should keep ollie, i feel like we will miss him a lot if he leaves as we will take the pressing and effort for granted. Yes he can be frustrating at times and isnt the most clinical finisher but he is one to keep.

the optics of us selling what the outsiders see as our star player will be awful aswell, we will look very small time selling to west ham and fans of other teams would start to think we have no ambition again. if watkins goes he should go somewhere like arsenal or chelsea or man u, not somewhere like hammers or newcastle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I think he is, i know you like ings but im not sure hes going to remain fit to risk selling Watkins who is still a work in progress. Id keep them both and focus on getting a top class cb and cdm.

I guess it all depends on funds, systems and whose available.  

Certainly I don’t think the striking position is the biggest area of weakness for us but if an opportunity arises to get that next level player then the funds we could get from Ollie will help with that transfer whereas we wouldn’t get anywhere close to the same fee for Ings because of his age.  

If the right opportunity doesn’t arise then having them two as our strikers is not the worst thing in the world.  I just don’t see the point of selling Ings given the likely fee we’d get.  

You are right though, other areas are needing more focus but we can walk and chew gum, keeping an eye out for the right opportunity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

the optics of us selling what the outsiders see as our star player

I travel quite a bit and my social discussions when I talk about Villa with non-Villa fans is that Ollie never comes up as our star player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

out of interest, who does?

My take at the moment is that a lot of our players are of a similar level, that middle of the league type quality. It's not like when we had Grealish playing with Hourihane and Elghazi, and clearly Grealish was the star. Therefore I think that if the aim is to replace our good premier league players with better players, then we shouldn't be concerned by what it looks like from the outside if and when they leave.

• Like 1

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

out of interest, who does?

Obviously recently it has been Coutinho.  Ollie and Mings seem to get dissed quite easily by other fans, we see that when Mings gets picked for England as a starter and the social media abuse that gets but I get similar looks about Ollie.  JJ gets talked about as our star kid.  Matty Cash gets a lot admirers.  McGinn gets mixed, either loved because of his Scotland appearances or seen as a Donkey.  Martinez is admired.  Buendia is generally seen as a flop despite what we know is different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Obviously recently it has been Coutinho.  Ollie and Mings seem to get dissed quite easily by other fans, we see that when Mings gets picked for England as a starter and the social media abuse that gets but I get similar looks about Ollie.  JJ gets talked about as our star kid.  Matty Cash gets a lot admirers.  McGinn gets mixed, either loved because of his Scotland appearances or seen as a Donkey.  Martinez is admired.  Buendia is generally seen as a flop despite what we know is different.

interesting

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

My take at the moment is that a lot of our players are of a similar level, that middle of the league type quality. It's not like when we had Grealish playing with Hourihane and Elghazi, and clearly Grealish was the star. Therefore I think that if the aim is to replace our good premier league players with better players, then we shouldn't be concerned by what it looks like from the outside if and when they leave.

we should be looking to do what the better teams do imo, we shouldnt rush to sell. Look at man city, stacked with attacking talent and keep adding to it year after year. already this season they have signed julian alvarez and haaland, they have got jesus firing and have mahrez and sterling and grealish, foden etc, some of which are benched in the game. before we start thinking about selling ollie we should aim to add to the team and if he gets replaced naturally in the starting 11, after a period of time, then is when we should entertain offers.

• Like 2

Maybe he wants to go. Maybe him and his partner are homesick, especially with the new child and little family support up here. I have no idea, I’m speculating but if he’s not happy then I suppose we have to cash in.

8 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I don't get why we would sell him to West Ham. Given they are better than we are, surely if they want him it means he's good enough for us still?

I’m surprised they don’t just sign the hypothetical guy referenced in this thread as better than Watkins who we could sign with the fee we get for him.

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

I travel quite a bit and my social discussions when I talk about Villa with non-Villa fans is that Ollie never comes up as our star player.

That's my perception of what other people think too. Good player, but star player is really stretching it.

Although I would argue we don't really have a star player anymore since Grealish. The quality of the teams has become a lot more spread out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m surprised they don’t just sign the hypothetical guy referenced in this thread as better than Watkins who we could sign with the fee we get for him.

I mean, that's just how the transfer market game is played. Everyone's looking for the best value for money deal out there and there are winners and losers everywhere. Often for one side to win, the other side has to be wrong with their valuation. Which happens quite often.

Selling him would be ridiculous, he's our starting striker and an England international. All this dismissive talk about him....he pulled Liverpool all over the place and caused massive issues for them first half.

Klopp will be all over him at £50m and Arsenal as well. Who we gonna replace him with ? Ings isn't going to be able to play every game, Kieran aint ready and neither is Archer. 

Let him go and we will go down next season unless we spend £70-100m on another forward. 

• Haha 1

Â