Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 05/05/2022 at 12:27, VillaParkAvenue said:

"However, they were quoted an extremely high valuation of the player and did not end up pursuing him. Speaking on the West Ham Way Podcast, Ex said, “Moyes really likes Ollie Watkins at Aston Villa. We made a tentative enquiry for him in January and were quoted ridiculous figures.”

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/david-moyes-wants-to-sign-aston-villa-forward-ollie-watkins-after-january-west-ham-enquiry/

I wonder how high a ridiculous figure is, as West Ham have given Rice a pricetag of 150m.

Going back to this, its interesting that Villa *didn't* say to West Ham 'he's not for sale'.  But instead quoted a price.

Now it may well be that quoting 'ridiculous figures' was intended to mean 'he's not for sale at any price anyone would pay'.

Like VPA I'd love to know what the 'ridiculous figures' quoted were!

11 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

In a possession based team Watkins isn't needed as much as Ings. But as it stands right now Watkins is more important as he is an outlet that never stops running. 

To be a possession side you have to press a lot, which Watkins is good at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Definitely, my problem is outside of the top strikers in the world, It's hard to find a decent striker without much risk. Jonathan David/Osimhen are a bit risky due to them playing outside the prem(It's not that much of a factor for me personally) and the latter is going to cost A LOT. I'm not even that convinced by Osimhen if I'm totally honest I think he's alright but a bit overhyped. Nunez is likely to go to Utd, Jesus is probably off to Arsenal and Adeyemi is off to Dortmund. 

I'm sure there's strikers out there, that's what scouting is for but I just think the position in general is not what it used to be.

I agree but again there maybe an option we don’t know about that Gerrard and management do.  Like I say, if they have another option then sell, if not keep.  I think very few of our players are unsaleable.

• Like 1

Pros:

Pressing
Stretching teams
Strong runner

Cons:

Linkup play
General technique
Average finishing ability for a number 9
Spotting runs for a key pass in behind

£50m? Sell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Going back to this, its interesting that Villa *didn't* say to West Ham 'he's not for sale'.  But instead quoted a price.

Now it may well be that quoting 'ridiculous figures' was intended to mean 'he's not for sale at any price anyone would pay'.

Like VPA I'd love to know what the 'ridiculous figures' quoted were!

to West Ham owners 20 million is a ridiculous figure

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol, what " reasonable " figures were they expecting to be quoted? Piss off.

Ironic that it's the same club that value Rice at a reasonable 150m.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

to West Ham owners 20 million is a ridiculous figure

They spent £45m on Haller, and according to Moyes made "3 club record bids" that were turned down in January.  So there is money there.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Pros:

Pressing
Stretching teams
Strong runner

Cons:

Linkup play
General technique
Average finishing ability for a number 9
Spotting runs for a key pass in behind

£50m? Sell.

His linkup play is getting better, he's also learnt how to play in a 2 this season and the Watkings partnership looks like it could have legs. Would be stupid to tear that up after a year of development that is actually starting to finally bear some fruit. 

Just now, lexicon said:

His linkup play is getting better, he's also learnt how to play in a 2 this season and the Watkings partnership looks like it could have legs. Would be stupid to tear that up after a year of development that is actually starting to finally bear some fruit. 

I've not seen any signs of his linkup play improving, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yeah 5 subs will make a massive difference next season.  Players who might have went on loan will probably stay around the first team now, and will benefit players like Sanson who should see more minutes even if it's from the bench.

The problem is, this cuts two ways. Before we could go to someone like Chuk and say "do you really want to go to City/Liverpool/Chelsea and sit on the bench?" Now our high-potential players like that will be more inclined to leave because their chance of getting some minutes at a (currently) bigger club have increased.

It would be ironic if we sell Watkins now that he and Ings are finally learning to play together.

He's not untouchable, but I agree with others...it would take a big price and a suitable replacement for me to consider it.

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You didn't see that chipped pass to Ings the other day? 

Or the big part he played in Buendia’s goal at the weekend. Nice cushion header down to Ings, received it back and then lays a simple but inch perfect pass to Digne to pull back first time to Emi.

33 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You didn't see that chipped pass to Ings the other day? 

No, but fair enough. I did see plenty of not spotting runs and then failing to execute through balls when he did spot them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No, but fair enough. I did see plenty of not spotting runs and then failing to execute through balls when he did spot them.

Did you miss that perfect through ball to Ings then too? 

Â