Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its funnny that when I speak to fans from other clubs like Everton and Burnley they all really highly rate Watkins and think we'd be bonkers to sell him!

I wouldn't sell Ollie Watkins, under normal circumstances.

If we get in the right players in the summer, Ollie could be noticibly affected, for the better.

His form with Danny , is getting better.....needs to work on his first touch.

• Like 1

Yeah the manager really seems to like him as he went out of his way to praise him after the Leicester game aswell.

It's interesting as I assume Ollie was missing DS arm round the shoulder management given his more withdrawn mood on the pitch this season so assumed him and Gerrard had a more formal relationship behind the scenes but appears not.

Just wondering though how far we can really get up the league with the attacking options. Of course we should be expecting better from Bailey and Ings next season but get the feeling we'll be hoping from a hot spell from Archer at some point.

Gerrard seems to love all the players if you go through his interviews.  Are we going to sell anybody or we just going bloat our squad bigger than the 25 allowed.  It just concerns me because some of these players like Ollie arguably aren’t going to take us to the next level.  

Reports suggest we are looking for another striker, so with him loving Ollie, him loving Ings and supposedly he’s about to get an extension as well, we have Archer so where does another striker fit?

On 13/05/2022 at 11:49, PaulC said:

Its funnny that when I speak to fans from other clubs like Everton and Burnley they all really highly rate Watkins and think we'd be bonkers to sell him!

Probably because they only see his highlights?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's interesting as I assume Ollie was missing DS arm round the shoulder management given his more withdrawn mood on the pitch this season so assumed him and Gerrard had a more formal relationship behind the scenes but appears not.

To be fair, his form and " mood " were pretty bad from the beginning of the season. So I'm not sure it had anything to do with change of Manager. ( You could argue his form also helped get Deano the push )

I'd be more inclined to say lack of sleep with new kid, plus feeling uncertain and a bit disgruntled with the signing of Ings.

However, he's obviously since been assured, and him and Ings seems to have developed a great relationship, so a bit happier recently probs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It just concerns me because some of these players like Ollie arguably aren’t going to take us to the next level.  

I suppose it depends how much Gerrard backs his coaching of individuals - he might well think Ollie isn’t good enough for the next level now, but that over the next year or so he can turn him into a player who is. The best managers do that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

Gerrard seems to love all the players if you go through his interviews.  Are we going to sell anybody or we just going bloat our squad bigger than the 25 allowed.  It just concerns me because some of these players like Ollie arguably aren’t going to take us to the next level.  

Reports suggest we are looking for another striker, so with him loving Ollie, him loving Ings and supposedly he’s about to get an extension as well, we have Archer so where does another striker fit?

Is he meant to pinpoint the ones who he thinks are shite / have no future here and nakecheck them to the media? Lol

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is he meant to pinpoint the ones who he thinks are shite / have no future here and nakecheck them to the media? Lol

My point was that he’s been positive about most of the players but when a name comes up, on social media people automatically then assume that player won’t leave in the summer.  I reiterate, my point was, are we going to keep all the players he loves and add more? Of course not imo opinion but it does concern me that we may continue to be unbalanced in the squad.

I take what Gerrard or any manager says with a pinch of salt because like you say they are rarely negative about players but then it surprises us when something happens which contradicts that.  Gerrard has misinformed us before like Smith did before him and like all managers.

But if Gerrard is in for another striker, and we keep Ollie and Ings, and with Archer and Davis, that’s a lot of strikers.  Assume Davis gets sold which seems obvious, then we have three senior strikers and a youngster. That quite a lot of strikers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Chance Conversion %

Ronaldo 15.9
Ings 15.9
Watkins 14.1
Kane 12.5

I think people see what they want to see a lot of the time. When he takes a chance, however difficult, it’s glossed over and then he misses a couple and he’s a bad finisher.

We’d be hard pushed to bring in a better striker and it would cost us a lot of money to do so.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

Davis will leave surely so we'll certainly need four strikers in the squad if we're going to start two of them regularly. Plus Ings reguarly picks up knocks so if we want a good cup run next season then we need four + Bailey for sure.

Ings was just as guilty as missing good chances today, despite how poor we were first half could have been two or three up, at least Watkins got a goal. Truth be told can see why Gerrard wants to improve that area, we need someone more ruthless in front of goal than both Watkins and Ings.

Â