Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 hours ago, Paulie said:

Watkins is a player who’s game relies on his pace and pressing, not his technical ability or finishing.

I’d rather sell too early than too late.  Once his legs go the drop off will be quick… now, ollie seems to take great care of his body so I can’t see him having a gabby type drop off… but he’s put miles on his legs the last few seasons.

selling for 40-50m opens you up to comfortably spend into that 60-80m bracket of striker… we have Ings and Archer for cover until we get the move made.

it makes sense to me.

Really good point this. He's already limited to me, but his deterioration will be rapid and dramatic.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Paulie said:

Watkins is a player who’s game relies on his pace and pressing, not his technical ability or finishing.

I’d rather sell too early than too late.  Once his legs go the drop off will be quick… now, ollie seems to take great care of his body so I can’t see him having a gabby type drop off… but he’s put miles on his legs the last few seasons.

selling for 40-50m opens you up to comfortably spend into that 60-80m bracket of striker… we have Ings and Archer for cover until we get the move made.

it makes sense to me.

It's a great point, I still see him as young in my head, but he turns 27 later this year. He's as good as hes going to be and in a few years that pressing and energy will likely wane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, that's just how the transfer market game is played. Everyone's looking for the best value for money deal out there and there are winners and losers everywhere. Often for one side to win, the other side has to be wrong with their valuation. Which happens quite often.

Historically how often would you say we have been the winner when we have sold one of our first team to someone above us in the table for big money?

I am not actually that against us selling him - key thing is I guess having someone identified in advance who we want to bring in.

Edited by Adam2003

22 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Historically how often would you say we have been the winner when we have sold one of our first team to someone above us in the table for big money?

I am not actually that against us selling him - key thing is I guess having someone identified in advance who we want to bring in.

Grealish 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Its hard to say because we don't know how that player would've fared had he remained with us. Jack Grealish for example doesn't look anywhere near a 100 million pound player right now and if he had this form and continued with us, we'd probably be in a worse position this year.

I don't think i'd be selling him this summer tbh. Him and Ings are finally looking like they have formed a decent partnership and there's too many other areas that need looking at before we disrupt this new partnership.

EDIT: Obviously if we could convince a player of the calibre of Nunez to sign for us then we should obviously sell him but that ain't happening really. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Origi would be a good replacement actually…

Never really thought much of him.  Got a few incredibly important goals for Liverpool but just never seen much in him even when we were linked with him a few years back.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Addition perhaps?

AC Milan bound isn’t he? So they see a lot in him that I never saw but that’s why I’m a fan and not recruiting for any club 😂

Just now, nick76 said:

AC Milan bound isn’t he? So they see a lot in him that I never saw but that’s why I’m a fan and not recruiting for any club 😂

Oh well I suppose that's a train that's passed then

I thinks its only Kane and Vardy are the only other English players to have scored 10 or more premier league goals in the last 2 seasons. One advantage for Ollie is that he rarely gets injured. He will give you 30 plus games and probably 10-15 goals a season.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thinks its only Kane and Vardy are the only other English players to have scored 10 or more premier league goals in the last 2 seasons. One advantage for Ollie is that he rarely gets injured. He will give you 30 plus games and probably 10-15 goals a season.

I'm sure there is more than that? Sterling is surely in double figures every season?

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm sure there is more than that? Sterling is surely in double figures every season?

This season - Bowen, Watkins, Smith Rowe, Saka, Mount, Sterling, Vardy, Toney, Kane and Vardy have all hit double figures in the league. Hardly some elite club.

• Thanks 1

Vardy must be due a trip to the glue factory anytime soon , so I could see Watkins going to Leicester as his replacement , similar sort of workhorse style 

amusingly , my West Ham friends seem to think he'd be going to West Ham to be backup to Antonio .. backup to a shit Marlon Harewood (as I  like to refer to him as :) ) .. yeah , that's not happening 

9 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

It was different. We were forced to sell: Barry, Milner, Downing, Young, Delph, Benteke and Grealish. 
But for Watkins, we actually like the thought of him being sold because of how limited he is. 
It’s only Martinez that would be on the same caliber of the ones up. Other than that you have Cash, Luiz, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins, Buendia and Bailey. All we might lose, some we might be gutted but no one would be taken without our choice. It’s the likes of Chuck who have the potential to be a new Grealish or so that we have a fear to lose. And most likely it’s because of not playing rather any other thing.

In another word, sell Watkins and we already have a better all round striker in Ings. This is the only summer that we can sell him for more than 40m. We might be losing Luiz. If both can get us 60-70 then that would put us in a very good position without losing much quality (for me Luiz is quality but more of an 8, which we rarely yes. So we aren’t using his best abilities to lose it anyway.

Â