Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Benteke only had 6 by end of January and people were saying rubbish, get rid, then he finished on 19. How long did we have to be patient with JPA?

To be honest Benteke showed a lot other than goals that season. Even before January.

Watkins has the ability, but many things aren’t right. 

For me when I suggest to sell him it’s not that I don’t rate him, but I think he’ll be one of the first that we’ll plan to upgrade on. So sell as long as you can get a good amount of money for him. He isn’t irreplaceable actually we’ll look at replacing him. 

26 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest Benteke showed a lot other than goals that season. Even before January.

Watkins has the ability, but many things aren’t right. 

For me when I suggest to sell him it’s not that I don’t rate him, but I think he’ll be one of the first that we’ll plan to upgrade on. So sell as long as you can get a good amount of money for him. He isn’t irreplaceable actually we’ll look at replacing him. 

Maybe he's adjusting to new tactics under new coaching staff and we have to trust they'll get him firing or if they can't we'll make new signing(s) down the line

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Maybe he's adjusting to new tactics under new coaching staff and we have to trust they'll get him firing or if they can't we'll make new signing(s) down the line

To be honest I think his main problems are there since last season. People underestimate the effect of Grealish. Not only assisting for him. But most of teams focus on Grealish. After Grealish got injured things changed. He scored some but issues started to get clearer. His decision making is horrible. His finishing isn’t bad but his decision kills the attack before even giving himself a chance to finish. His first touch as well isn’t good. If he fixed those two I think he’ll be one of the best strikers in the leagues. This season something eveb more feels not right. Not sure what. If he was angry on Ings signing (which he shouldn’t) both managers depended on him more.

His press used to be great such as against Liverpool and Everton. This season is not the same. But he’s still working hard. 

For me, we need to sell any replaceable  player at the right time and price (when you’re not dependent on them).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

For me, we need to sell any replaceable  player at the right time and price (when you’re not dependent on them).

I've thought for probably near 2 decades that we've not been ruthless enough but that's changed under NSWE and possibly more under Gerrard. That's a great thing but I think some people are writing off certain players too early. Not so much Watkins but some others

• Like 1

I think we just need to be patient, he will come good. He's become a dad recently, that could have an effect on him as well as Dean and Jack departing. Pretty sure DS was a big factor on him coming here too so who knows what impact that might have had. Lots of changes for him professionally and personally and it does seem that he is an overthinker/ too hard on himself. As daft as it sounds he just needs some goals to get his tail up again.

• Like 3

A question i'll surely get pelters for, but f*ck it.

If big Keinan could stay fit, and massively improve his finishing, would he be a better striker than Ollie?

He is actually quite good with the ball at his feet, and strong as an ox, can also pass.

I'm only asking as i've been picturing a scenario where, we could potentially get big money for Watkins and Ings, and have the likes of Keinan and Archer as our strikers.

" Big Man | Little man " combo even possible.

Generate a shed load of money for other areas and promote from within?

Bring in Suarez as an " insurance " policy?

Obviously this would depend on how the rest of this season goes.

I'm also aware it could be footballing suicide. lol

Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With Ollie I certainly wouldn't sell before he hits 28, as i can only see him improving. We see on the pitch how hard working he is, and how demanding of himself he is, he also rarely gets injured, so i expect him to keep improving. His versatility is also a real asset to the club.

Currently he has been played left or as 1 of a 2 upfront mainly. This is a guy whose MO is to run the defense ragged all by himself (he's done this for two seasons prior). Quite frankly incorporating Ings has directly, and negatively affected how he plays. Not to mention this is his third season as a striker. This is a learning season for him that could make him a better player. 

If you look at the games he hasn't missed a glut of chances (sure a chance here and there), he hasn't had loads of chances to feed off, but he has been far more influential than Ings. 

People who think Coutinho and Buendia would work better with Ings are plain wrong (sorry but it's true)!

How can you have three forwards and not one really works the channels and gets in behind? You always need that one that stretches teams and Ings doesn't really do that. On the flip side Watkins is relentless at doing that, it's why our counter attack last season was so lethal. 

In reality Ings would work better with Bailey as the right side of the wide forwards playing almost as a striker himself (Ings drifting off the left, while Bailey drifts off the right both like wide strikers, with Buendia or Coutinho drifting all over creating overloads in wide positions and through the middle).

Watkins would work better with two wide playermaker forwards like Buendia and Coutinho. In fact Coutinho is similar to Grealish so should be able to strike up a similar relationship. Grealish benefited as much from Watkins stretching defenses with his relentless running, as much as Watkins benefited from Jack's creativity. 

Something that has been forgotten is our best front 3 last season (in terms of performances and results) was Jack, Watkins, Trezguet. Trezguet's workrate, pressing, and movement is very good, this really helped Watkins a lot with pressuring the oposition defense, and often popped up in the right places to link things up nicely. He is our Dirk Kuyt (we all bemoan his quality on the ball, but his quality off it can be invaluble)! Fortunately now we have Buendia we have a player that will, do the running and hard work (not quite as well but almost), as well as offer quality on the ball consistently. We now also have Coutinho to fill Jack's void so what we should be saying is how eager we are to see Watkins being unleashed again!

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If big Keinan could stay fit, and massively improve his finishing, would he be a better striker than Ollie?

He is actually quite good with the ball at his feet, and strong as an ox, can also pass.

I'm only asking as i've been picturing a scenario where, we could potentially get big money for Watkins and Ings, and have the likes of Keinan and Archer as our strikers.

Just thinking out loud.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just thinking out loud.

If Keinan massively improved his finishing and movement he would be better than Ollie, but he’s 24 I’m not saying he’s crap or anything but championship football suits him,it’s his level, Archer on the other hand is deadly , maybe he needs to improve on other aspects of his game the type of stuff ironically Keinan Davis is good at to become a starter  or option for us.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

If Keinan massively improved his finishing and movement he would be better than Ollie, but he’s 24 I’m not saying he’s crap or anything but championship football suits him,it’s his level, Archer on the other hand is deadly , maybe he needs to improve on other aspects of his game the type of stuff ironically Keinan Davis is good at to become a starter  or option for us.

So if we had to get rid of one of Ollie or Ings, what would you do? ( Age aside )

Get rid of Ings and promote Archer for example?

That's what i'd probably do ( Given my Keinan proposal is probably far fetched/ridiculous lol )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just thinking out loud.

I really like Davis! He just needs to learn to be smart infront of goal. He gets it on target, but goes to the near post too often, he needs to do the those cute things like looking in a different direction from where he is shooting, and feigning. If he can add that he will score goals. Unfortunately this is a feature of footballing intelligence which maybe he doesn't possess. However a loan like his current one will give him a run at a level where he can build confidence. If he scores 7 or 8 goals at forrest i'd bring him back. Archer on the other hands needs to score more than 10! Archer is a goalscorer primarily so if he isn't scoring loads he isn't contributing as much.

Personally I sell Ings at the end of the season regardless and have Archer (if he stays fit 10 goals will happen at PNE) for sure as a back up to Watkins. Then depending on Davis look at Suarez on a free. Ings is going to be 30 next season, and his value will drop considerably after this summer. Plus there is his injury record!

On Archer people were saying Louie Barry is a young Vardy, but for me Archer is more of a young Vardy! He has that knack for being in the right place at the right time, and intelligent finishing. Even if he isn't good enough to be our first choice, having a lad with a knack of scoring ready to come in or off the bench is aways a handy thing to have!

• Like 2

If Davis get's a career anything close to say Marlon Harewood he should be delighted. He needs a move and a fresh start in the lower divisions.

Unless Villa massively regress again I can't see a place for him here.

Watkins has shown he can do it here, this season has been very disappointing thou and he needs to step up or risk being obsolete.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just thinking out loud.

Absolutely not, not even close

If Ollie can sort his head out he's an England player 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So if we had to get rid of one of Ollie or Ings, what would you do? ( Age aside )

Get rid of Ings and promote Archer for example?

That's what i'd probably do ( Given my Keinan proposal is probably far fetched lol )

I don’t know it’s a tough one, I rate Ings more than Ollie tbh, But it’s rare to see a young striker leading the line in the Premier League, I think he needs a full season banging them in at championship, last thing he needs is to return and become a bit part player.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

A lot of Watkins goals comes from counter attacks with space or balls in early.

for me he’s in the same issue boat as Lukaku at Chelsea. 

the best strikers can deal with tough, quick balls into the box early. 

Another example is Vardy, if you don’t commit to giving him the ball early (a risk) you’re not going to get the best out of him and he won’t be scoring shed loads of goals. 

Watkins is tall, strong and holds the ball up incredibly well. 

we need to be better at utilising him tbh. 

Â