Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

17 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

I can understand people questioning his form this season but “Watkins had a fairly good first season” I find difficult to agree with.

I thought he was one of our best players last year and probably the best striker we have had since Benteke

Regarding his headed chance,in the 1970 World Cup when Banks saves Peles header was that a bad miss on Peles part?

Everything about that 1970 moment was beautiful. The cross, the leap from pele, the header and the save.  But everything else I agree with you on. Watkins had an outstanding season last year. He hasnt been as good this year but he's not as bad as people on here are making out and the goals will come. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Everything about that 1970 moment was beautiful. The cross, the leap from pele, the header and the save.  But everything else I agree with you on. Watkins had an outstanding season last year. He hasnt been as good this year but he's not as bad as people on here are making out and the goals will come. 

As discussed before we disagree how poor he’s been this season but aside from that I really hope the player comes back with goals but I don’t think goals are the main part of his game.  He’s not a great goalscorer at this level.

I like Ollie too.....and while its not happening, I hope he is working on things to get back to the form we know he can show.

I think he has lost, that bit of aggression in his game.

I don't mean going around kicking defenders.....I mean with himself.

I see him, not chasing so many lost causes, or challenging to cause errors, his touch has eluded him a bit too.

I do think he has missed Jack, whose passes were off a bowling green.....we have new players around him, so cohesion, will need time.

While he is not scoring goals and yes he needs to....he still looks a pedigree player....it will come back.

a fully confident Ollie would have scored that header that Pickford saved....He is doing no worse than Harry Kane, who has twice the reputation.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

a fully confident Ollie would have scored that header that Pickford saved

He was a mile offside though!  He needs to sort out his positioning not only for that but many parts of his play.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He was a mile offside though!  He needs to sort out his positioning not only for that but many parts of his play.

I agree Nick

I didn't want to say too many neggies, else it gets deemed as an assassination...and its not my intention.

When you watch Vardy, who is a little ferret.....His aggression is what grabs me.....Aggressive running and willing to get close to his defender to unnerve him...its that kind of aggression, I think is missing.

Ollie stands too far off his man, his first touch is iffy right now, and he loses his duel, in many cases.

The aggression, he needs to show, is by rattling his opposite number.....standing off won't hurt anyone.

Its frustarting, because he actually looks like a footballer.

Gary Lineker wasn't exactly a physical mixer, but his reading of the game and knowing when to make runs in to space, was sublime....Ollie needs to be more like Gary for me.

He won't be an Andy Gray or Alan Shearer, not robust enough for that.....but he needs to work on what he can be.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree Nick

I didn't want to say too many neggies, else it gets deemed as an assassination...and its not my intention.

When you watch Vardy, who is a little ferret.....His aggression is what grabs me.....Aggressive running and willing to get close to his defender to unnerve him...its that kind of aggression, I think is missing.

Ollie stands too far off his man, his first touch is iffy right now, and he loses his duel, in many cases.

The aggression, he needs to show, is by rattling his opposite number.....standing off won't hurt anyone.

Its frustarting, because he actually looks like a footballer.

The problem we have is if we combined Ollie and Ings best attributes we have the striker we need but separately both are missing things and I don’t think that will change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The problem we have is if we combined Ollie and Ings best attributes we have the striker we need but separately both are missing things and I don’t think that will change.

How many players can we say that about....its part of progression, I guess.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Very true but Olie can improve of the things Ings is good at I dont think Ings can improve much on the things Watkins is good at 

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Very true but Olie can improve of the things Ings is good at I dont think Ings can improve much on the things Watkins is good at 

Not sure I agree, being a natural/clinical finisher to me is not something you learn but something you have already.  You can certainly improve if you have it but even at his best last season we knew Ollie didn’t have that.  Ollie has all around game which is him but I’m not convinced he can improve his finishing.  I agree, Ings is what he is now and that won’t change.

Whether it be Watkins or Ings as a lone striker, they will both score goals given the kind of service I think they're likely to get from now on. Starving your strikers for so long and then blaming them for "going off the boil" is unfair criticism imo.

Let's watch them over the next seventeen games and then have this conversation before the start of the Summer transfer window.

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Whether it be Watkins or Ings as a lone striker, they will both score goals given the kind of service I think they're likely to get from now on. Starving your strikers for so long and then blaming them for "going off the boil" is unfair criticism imo.

Let's watch them over the next seventeen games and then have this conversation before the start of the Summer transfer window.

The problem is, it’s not the goalscoring element of his play that has been poor (albeit he hasn’t scored many!), it’s his all round game. He doesn’t seem to be able to dribble past players and even hold the ball up anymore. Things he looked a lot better at last season. 

His drop in form is a worry. I still think he starts for me in our best XI. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

The problem is, it’s not the goalscoring element of his play that has been poor (albeit he hasn’t scored many!), it’s his all round game. He doesn’t seem to be able to dribble past players and even hold the ball up anymore. Things he looked a lot better at last season. 

His drop in form is a worry. I still think he starts for me in our best XI. 

I believe that he's lacked space and support without Grealish attracting defenders away from him like a magnet. The form of Buendia and the addition of Digne and Coutinho will change that in my opinion. I'm not saying Ollie is the finished article or the ultimate real deal, but he's much better than he's been able to show so far this season.

Ollie is a team player not a "look at me" individual striker, so he needs the team to show up around him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

You havin a laugh, These guys are supposed to be Premier League strikers, if they do nothing in seventeen games they need binning. I'm expecting improvements with Ollie every next game I watch, but still prove to be disappointed with his attitude and over all game.

I questioned his celebration for the goals last week and got jumped on for saying he didn't really seem interested, Anyone see him celebrate the goal with his team mates this week as much as everyone else. If you did please report back, cause what I saw was he was the last there again.

He's still working hard and harassing CB's. Not everything is coming off, but that's also because he doesn't have acres of space anymore because everybody is drawn to Jack Grealish and the ball. It's going to take time for him to hit the heights of last season, and he needs to develop an understanding with Buendia and Coutinho, as well as work on the one he has with Ings. There's work to be done, but we know he's nothing if not hard-working. He's the last player I thought could get the fans on his back this quickly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 08:32, PaulC said:

Thats yet to be established. 14 goals in the league last seaosn is a good return. This season not so good but that can change. 

Benteke only had 6 by end of January and people were saying rubbish, get rid, then he finished on 19. How long did we have to be patient with JPA?

Â