Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, nick76 said:

So everybody else is wrong? Got it!

Not sure Gerrard would, Gerrard has high expectations and Ollie didn’t get close to that and the best comment for his game today is from you which was he had a fine game, which I’m sure Gerrard wouldn’t agree is an acceptable level.  So all the comments of how crap he was, I’m sure Gerrard will be less happy if he feels the same way.

Ings can't meet the physical demands in a Gerrard system.

He can't hold the ball up. He isn't quick. He isn't strong.

I'd be amazed to see Ings starting ahead of Watkins. Absolutely amazed.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

But by the same token half the team isn't on the same wavelength when it comes to the final attacking third, our lack of goals isn't just down to Watkins. 

I agree but Watkins is there to score as is Ings.  Watkins, by some, gets excuses that it’s because of Ings but it makes no difference like today when he’s on his own.  Buendia is finally now starting to click and we now have Coutinho but Watkins is still as poor as before.  Time to try Ings.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

At what point today did Watkins show any of those qualities?

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Me too 

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

It's not that simple though. It is proven and sports stars have admitted it does affect them.

They are human.

Have you watched Martinez, he’s not human, he’s a superhero!

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Villatalk analysis on strikers.

Scored a goal=Played well.

Didn't score a goal=Played bad.

Did some one upset you today?

I think forwards can do a lot without scoring. 

What did he do today that amazed you so much?

(I would rather he started than Ings btw.)

In terms of improving the team, I'd prioritise in order, cdm, central defender, striker.

I though Watkins was fine today. Ings definitely struggled when he came on but we had sat quite deep to be fair.

I think when at home against teams around us so the emphasis is on us to break them down having a clinical finisher like Ings would work better. Away from home where running the flanks and holding up play is more important then I’d start Watkins.    

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

It's not that simple though. It is proven and sports stars have admitted it does affect them.

They are human.

BuT tHeRe PaYeD MiLLioNs tO kIcK a BaLl aRoUnD. Duh!

• Haha 2

Can't fault Olllies work rate and he's a very important player obviously but he doesn't look dangerous in front of goal. In fact scoring goals seems secondary to everything else! He's a great forward player but not a striker. 

• Like 1

I am fine for them to both compete to start. So is Gerrard. Nothing wrong with having two good forwards fighting it out. I am gonna paraphrase Gerrard ,we need more games to play in Europe & Cups to support our strength in depth, not less strength in depth.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The ball over the top when he brought it down and poked it wide sums him up this season.

Great running and presure, terrible first touch to let the ball run away from him and poor finishing. 

I'd rather see Watkins run and miss chances than seeing Ings ghosting, not getting involved at all.

Â