Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Wasn't great, but still played better than Ings has ever played for us. Don't mind giving Ingsy a go, but I don't think it would be long before people are calling for Watkins to come back into the team. It's like Janet Jackson once said.

Are you saying ollie's performance is better than anything ings has produced for us?

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Wasn't great, but still played better than Ings has ever played for us. Don't mind giving Ingsy a go, but I don't think it would be long before people are calling for Watkins to come back into the team. It's like Janet Jackson once said.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I'm saying his overall performance today was better than any of Ings overall performaces. Ings is basically anonymous in terms of team play unless he's scoring goals, so if he's playing he has to get goals otherwise it's like playing with ten men and that's not a criticism of him it's just the kind of striker that he is, it's actually very good to have such a player available but most top teams won't start with such a player.

With Watkins I think it's got to the stage where people are waiting for him to do something that can be deemed as a negative so they can jump on it and overreact, exactly the same thing has happened with Mings in the past.

My major cricisim of him is that he needs to start scoring more goals, otherwise I can see us spending £70m on a best in class striker in the summer and his place coming under threat, not because of him being bad, but because we want to improve as much as possible, other favorites too might find their positions as first team players also under threat.

Had a very poor season and once again was anonymous tonight.

Got 14 goals and 9 assists last season, and was pretty much actively involved in our good play in every game last season.

Grealish is gone but to see the complete reversal in his form is quite staggering, especially now we have Coutinho and Buendia behind him and that doesn't seem to have helped.

I think it's now time to maybe try Ings but I'm not at all confident that will work either. We've got some serious issues defensively but also serious issues with our striker situation and I don't really know what the answer is. Maybe trying Bailey up front is our last hope. 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm saying his overall performance today was better than any of Ings overall performaces. Ings is basically anonymous in terms of team play unless he's scoring goals, so if he's playing he has to get goals otherwise it's like playing with ten men and that's not a criticism of him it's just the kind of striker that he is

This is just not true! He had better pressing stats than Watkins not so many games ago for the season so far(don’t know current stats) he links well with other team members…this is just false narrative you are saying.

With Watkins I think it's got to the stage where people are waiting for him to do something that can be deemed as a negative so they can jump on it and overreact

Just BS.  If you seriously believe with your own eyes this is the same Watkins as last season then I’ll be shocked because poster after poster on here are disagreeing withyou

My major cricisim of him is that he needs to start scoring more goals, otherwise I can see us spending £70m on a best in class striker in the summer

We agree

not because of him being bad

Disagree, if he was playing like last season I don’t think we’d be trying to upgrade

but because we want to improve as much as possible, other favorites too might find their positions as first team players also under threat.

You’re just deflecting from the issue that Ollie has massively regressed since last season and nobody knows why.  

Edited by nick76

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Did they, what for? Was it Bielsa that gave the special praise?

Dublin, saying how well he did keeping out the way, thus creating space for our better players, I shit you not.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm saying his overall performance today was better than any of Ings overall performaces. Ings is basically anonymous in terms of team play unless he's scoring goals, so if he's playing he has to get goals otherwise it's like playing with ten men and that's not a criticism of him it's just the kind of striker that he is, it's actually very good to have such a player available but most top teams won't start with such a player.

With Watkins I think it's got to the stage where people are waiting for him to do something that can be deemed as a negative so they can jump on it and overreact, exactly the same thing has happened with Mings in the past.

My major cricisim of him is that he needs to start scoring more goals, otherwise I can see us spending £70m on a best in class striker in the summer and his place coming under threat, not because of him being bad, but because we want to improve as much as possible, other favorites too might find their positions as first team players also under threat.

There was that ball that Digne flashed across in the second half and Watkins couldn't quite reach it. He didnt anticipate it. He just isnt a poacher or out and out goalscorer. It feels now with this side that we need that sort of striker. Ings is more that, but then I question his mobility. 

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is just not true! He had better pressing stats than Watkins not so many games ago for the season so far(don’t know current stats)

The best I can get for pressure stats is from this season, not selected weeks. 

Watkins 28.1% 76 successful from 270

Ings 19.2% 40 successful from 208

If I check last season Watkins was 26.5% and Ings 24% for Soton.

Watkins better % than last season and last season % better than Ings 2 seasons at 2 different clubs

Edited by Kiwivillan

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The best I can get for pressure stats is from this season, not selected weeks. 

Watkins 28.1% 76 successful from 270

Ings 19.2% 40 successful from 208

If I check last season Watkins was 26.5% and Ings 24% for Soton.

Watkins better % than last season and last season % better than Ings 2 seasons at 2 different clubs

Thanks.  I did see something around Xmas time that had some pressing stats for both and Ings was slightly ahead of Watkins for the season.  If it wasn’t posted on here by somebody I’ll have to try and find it tomorrow or Friday.  Then we can see what the difference is.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Absolute dreadful, was like watching Gabby in his last days up top

When was his last goal? When did he last look like scoring? 

yeah but its ok mate, he works hard.

:trollface:

Â