Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

27 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The ball over the top when he brought it down and poked it wide sums him up this season.

Great running and presure, terrible first touch to let the ball run away from him and poor finishing. 

Yep. That control and finish was exactly what I expected him to do when I saw the ball sailing over the Everton defense to him. 

I was never fully convinced. To me he’s a supporting character in the Grealish show who was made to look really good by association . See also Targett. 

Edited by kevpants
  • Like 1

I like Watkins, But we have to considered the options... I been texted to my Villa's Fan Uncle Mike, about Watkins and Ings, we different options about him. I log to this forum and see the same problem we talking about this for whiles. 

He told me, he insist keep play Watkins as he brilliant at running and chase, pressured defender, play channel. He prefer Watkins over Ings..

yet I'm understand he is way better than Ings term - running and chase, pressured defender, play channel, when we passing to channel which Uncle Mike say about this, i agreed about this.

I point the problem with Watkins to lost easy challenge to ball that turn to against us, and he give away cheap, and not drive to threat as he driven that paused wait for bring when our player to move position to recieved that Watkins not hold ball strong or not focus, or not shield ball and opponent of take ball and thanks you and turn against to pressure as we into attack phase that paddle to defend phase and cant able to press as Watkins lost ball cos plenty space for opponent to play on. It is make me angry when it is easy solve and coach, he keep same mistake all this season even last games and 2 games ago, 3 games ago and he not yet learn the mistake and carry on.. 

I told him Watkins need sort himself and need play Ings to purpose as we show he is not automatic in first choice striker.

Ings is better keep ball, hold ball to bring other player use feet if passing to his feet (not area to make dangerous channel which Watkins does) and can turn ball into threat which Watkins cannot do this. He is excellence ghost and pop out of blue to finisher when we need him to do and he is reliable. when he called and play his own he is bring goal and reliable finisher. I want see him play behind Coutinho and Buendia to proves us and Gerrard suit the task. Uncle say insist play Watkins even Ings better in this area. 

I told Uncle that if we against like liverpool or asrenal, man city, chelsea - i would prefer play Watkins over Ings. Team like Burnley, Etc We should play Ings over Watkins as we will got ball more and play up front more

Play Watkin if we in sit behind to chase ball and quick counter attack to reveal pressure or threat them to force them sit deep. Watkins did brilliant this last years but we not see him do same this season we need seriously think about to do him... if next 1 or 2 season same as this season we need find replacement him and ings too (Watkins X Ings = this player what we should look for next).

Seem like i not only one also Mike case is not only one.. it is annoy to see this problem during the match ... Hope Gerrard know what to do.

next match vs Leeds - hard to pick which one to play... as Leeds love geopress on us - we might paddle back - if we stop let them play at start so we can keep pressure them to entrench deep, so we have to play Watkins ideal this, so when Leeds tired that Sub Waktins for Ings to push up field to control with Countinho for someone - both come on later to make impact Leeds tired.

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The ball over the top when he brought it down and poked it wide sums him up this season.

Great running and presure, terrible first touch to let the ball run away from him and poor finishing. 

I mean, he was like that last season. He just had Grealish helping him.

7 hours ago, Dale said:

He's become the new El Ghazi on here. He was perfectly decent, held the ball up well. Didn't get much at goal, but ran channels well, a good cut back too.

I think he was very poor.

7 hours ago, Dale said:

A lot of criticism is undeserved.

Not today.

7 hours ago, Dale said:

Ings doesn't offer half as much to the team. 

I agree.

• Like 1

I do think it would be interesting to try coutinho and buendia behind Ings. We’d lose a bit of physicality and pace but gain more guile. I’ve seen no evidence of Watkins and buendia being on the same wavelength but plenty for buendia and Ings (the Brentford goal the best example). I think coutinho/buendia will need a striker ahead of them who can make clever runs and Watkins doesn’t really do that 

I thought he was OK, it was a tough game. He held the ball up well, made some dangerous runs, took players on and got into some good positions.

Yerry Mina is a nasty one too.

Villa need Watkins in this formation for his energy and pace, Ings is a little slower so he struggles on his own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It seems to be mainly VT who think he was crap. On Biurmingham Live he was given 7.5. The commentator thought he was good.  I thought he was ok but maybe I am watching a different game. 

There's an agenda against Watkins on villa talk. 

No idea why. 

Legit one of our best players. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There's an agenda against Watkins on villa talk. 

No idea why. 

Legit one of our best players. 

Yes the agenda is to see the best of our players on pitch.  It’s wanting the best for Villa and sometimes that clashes with our favourite players, when those same favourite players are playing poorly.  Our agenda is what’s best for Villa not what’s best for a player, if they are clashing objectives.  Yes he is one of best players but has been playing poorly for half a season now so needs to shape up, ship out or get some reflection time on the bench.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

You can write yesterday off as a tough game.

Everton battled hard and made it almost impossible for us to play any football.

Watkins struggled, but most of the team did as well. Personally would have given Ings a bit longer on the pitch instead of Watkins to see what he could do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t know Gerrard had mentioned VillaTalk 😜

said he was our best player a while back but that was befire Buendia started performing well. The reason I dont think Ings is right because we have skillful players like Bunedia and Coutinho but if you put Ings in we have zero pace up front. we'd be too static. 

10 hours ago, kevpants said:

Yep. That control and finish was exactly what I expected him to do when I saw the ball sailing over the Everton defense to him. 

I was never fully convinced. To me he’s a supporting character in the Grealish show who was made to look really good by association . See also Targett. 

That is kind of where I'm at. Not saying he isn't a serviceable PL striker but I doubt we see him firing in 16+ goals a season again. 

I am holding out hope that once Digne and Coutinho become comfortable on the left we will begin to see a bit more from him. 

16 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

He's just had a baby.

What if it's a simple as he is getting no sleep 😂

Maybe it is something else he is not getting and he may be a little frustrated. This is where we miss JT, he could bring Ollie out for a few drinks and a bit of fun

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

said he was our best player a while back but that was befire Buendia started performing well. The reason I dont think Ings is right because we have skillful players like Bunedia and Coutinho but if you put Ings in we have zero pace up front. we'd be too static. 

Not sure I agree, it’s not all about pace.  Intelligent movement and positioning can give you that one yard extra step and the likes of Buendia and Coutinho will find that intelligent movement and Ings has the finishing abilities that one second is enough for him to strike.

Its also not as if Ollie has blinding pace that gets past defenders.  His movement this season has been poor, his decision making has been poor and his finishing has been poor when he’s had chances.  So even if he has that extra pace he’s not doing anything with it unfortunately.  I want the old Ollie back but I’m worried that after half a season where he’s gone.  

While both strikers are off form, naturally Ings style suits Buendia and Coutinho’s game.  Ollie had a chance today so now Ings should get a chance given Ollie didn’t convince he deserved it in the next game as you can see from all the comments on this board.

Also when Ings was injured Gerrard was praising Ings massively and said he couldn’t wait for him to be back and Ings hasn’t yet had a chance on his own.  So Gerrard has praised them both.

• Like 1

Â