Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

So we are paying the price we knew he would cost a month ago. 

Again, you don't know that. You don't know how much Brentford were asking for. You don't know how the negotiations went. 

Is making frustrated conclusions on skant evidence something you make a habit of in your day to day?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

£33m. One good season in the Championship. Hogan had one good season in the championship. As did Rudy Gestede.

That’s just insane money. They’d better really hope this one pays off. Brentford have properly pulled our pants down here. Can we really not scout for a better striker outside of Brentford?

It does seem a hell of a lot, but the 'one good season in the championship' narrative is bollocks. He's had 3 good seasons, 2 as a winger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

£33m. One good season in the Championship. Hogan had one good season in the championship. As did Rudy Gestede.

That’s just insane money. They’d better really hope this one pays off. Brentford have properly pulled our pants down here. Can we really not scout for a better striker outside of Brentford?

He hasn't had one good season in the championship. He's been good in every season, only he was playing as a wide forward for the previous ones. 

Very happy we seem to have got this over the line - even if it is for more than we might like.

Think he looks a cracking player and should hopefully bag double figures. Also very excited to see what he will do when playing off Welsey too - could be a great partnership. 

19 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Very interesting point from the Mail this: (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/watkins-aston-villa-transfer-brentford-18899154)

How much would Tammy have been worth before a ball was kicked last season??

Think this from the Mail is a very lazy comparison. Tammy had 2 20+ goal seasons in the championship and was 3 years younger than Watkins. Watkins is at a Championship club (therefore shouldn't be commanding the same fees) whereas Tammy was at a Prem club with no plan to sell and under a transfer embargo. This comparison is ridiculous.  

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Patience was for a couple of weeks ago when you could legitimately look at the clubs around us and say none of them have strengthened. We literally escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth and a huge slice of luck.

I don't think we should just pay whatever Brentford want for him with no regard to our own valuation. I would hope the club haven't spent the whole wondow chasing someone who's expressed no interest in coming to Villa but of course it's possible someone more attractive could come in and take him at the last minute, shit happens. At some point though, the club has to make a decision or force Brentford to make a decision because we can't wait indefinitely.

If we don't strengthen we will get relegated this year...that's not being hysterical it's just fact. It would be nice for the club to get their business done earlier just once so the squad have time to familiarise.

This aged quickly.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Wes and Ally say hi. We all think they are crap so we buy domestically and then we think we have overpaid.

24 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Very interesting point from the Mail this: (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/watkins-aston-villa-transfer-brentford-18899154)

How much would Tammy have been worth before a ball was kicked last season??

Yep....Everyone would've been happy on us splashing 30 -35m on Tammy blast year, and probably 40-50m now. I just think it's the going rate these days for a tier 2 A grader CF with his prime ahead of him. If he make the step up he'll be worth 60plus so I'm not alarmed to be honest. It also put's into perspective how much of a bargain Wes could turn out to be if he comes back stronger from his setback.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Again, you don't know that. You don't know how much Brentford were asking for. You don't know how the negotiations went. 

Is making frustrated conclusions on skant evidence something you make a habit of in your day to day?

I know.

I have been playing football manager since before it was football manager. I was on the original LMA manager. When I wasnt playing that I was playing Alex Ferguson player manager on the PS1.

I know.

I know what it takes to get a deal over the line.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, eholm said:

Great article here about his style of play, movement etc..Quotes from OW as well when he was moved to CF; the boy has confidence. 

https://www.twenty3.sport/ollie-watkins-from-winger-to-centre-forward/

Good to see a special relationship with Smith too.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This is football suicide imo and will be why we get relegated 44mil so far on championship players is pathetic. At that sort pf money we should.get somone that has played at highest level. YET AGAIN we are in the Young with potential marlet great in terms of business if sold on but will not work Football clubs need quality players this is what we are lacking.

Edited by villan501

Paul Tidsdale former Exeter manager. Love this "There are so many players out there with great ability who have a bad attitude but Ollie has got everything. He has the ability and he has the perfect attitude. He has the perfect personality really." 

28 minutes ago, eholm said:

Great article here about his style of play, movement etc..Quotes from OW as well when he was moved to CF; the boy has confidence. 

https://www.twenty3.sport/ollie-watkins-from-winger-to-centre-forward/

Thanks for sharing, this is a great read. As the writer suggests from the analysis - "Watkins has scored every goal imaginable this season. " - this should excite us and probably justifies the hefty fee. I'm afraid that this is the going rate nowadays and by the looks of it, we might look back on it being a snip if he bangs them in and keeps us up. Really excited!!

• Like 1

Well, last season I think a lot of us on here was disappointed that we missed out on Maupay as that was obviously Smith's choice of striker. I for one, am glad we're not going to be moaning about the same shit again this season with posts stating 'If only we didn't miss out on Watkins'. The fee is the fee and fair play to Brentford, all we can do is sign him and we're doing just that. I'd rather us pay a bit more now and get it over the line than trying to haggle a few million and risk losing out altogether. 

• Like 1

Â