Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Mad, I know, but I’m relaxed on the Watkins situation. I really like him, and think he offers a lot, but I’d also be interested to see how good we could be with somebody with a different skillset to his up top.

You have to remember that he’s not expected to run the channels and chase hopeless long balls as much under Emery (probably his best attribute) so a striker who does his best work centrally and is more technical could improve us.

Ultimately, we can improve on every single player in the team within reason, Martinez, Kamara and Torres aside. Watkins is fairly low down on the priority list in terms of a replacement. 

It’s worth noting his fitness record is phenomenal. As far as being an athlete goes, I can’t remember one quite like Ollie at the club before. He’s fairly fast, strong and is never injured. The management team will really admire him for that. 

I wonder if our 3 new signings will encourage Ollie to sign a new contract. All 3 have abilities that will improve the number and quality of chances that he will get each match. If he stays fit, he really will have the chance to get 20 plus league goals this season. That will put him right in the mix for the next Euros even with Spudgate in charge.

Hopefully this will get sorted before too long. He has his weaknesses Ollie but he is still really great for where we are right now.

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I wonder if our 3 new signings will encourage Ollie to sign a new contract. All 3 have abilities that will improve the number and quality of chances that he will get each match. If he stays fit, he really will have the chance to get 20 plus league goals this season. That will put him right in the mix for the next Euros even with Spudgate in charge.

Hopefully this will get sorted before too long. He has his weaknesses Ollie but he is still really great for where we are right now.

Said before, these 3 new signings have probably all signed above average wage contracts

So yes they probably have convinced him to sign a new deal! Watkins has a very nice £100k a week deal on the table, Diaby, tielemans and torres all come in on £120k a week, Watkins agent is licking his lips

It'll be sorted but if he's got any sense he waits for the big signings and then asks to be in their ball park as he's a key player

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

These 3 new signings all feature attributes that Ollie has so we won't feel his loss when he leaves.

>_>

Linked with Chelsea today - can’t see it, but if they do offer £100m I’d sell for that money and trust Unai and Monchi to replace well. I am not condoning and wanting him sold, but for £100m it would be hard to resist!

Not sure what the £100m plus Marcus Rashford is about 😅 poorly written headline as it’s just a quote from Collymore in the article stating United would need to pay £100m plus Rashford 😂

Edited by villan-scott
  • Haha 1

He's holding out for that Digne salary. And why shouldn't he.

Two years left is it? I wonder if we'll bow to demands after the window. No wonder there are striker rumours, better to address now than have Watkins with a year left and minimal alternatives.

• Like 1

Every time one of our team is at the top of this forum it's due to some utter gashdribble story in the "know-****-all" media.

I’d imagine Watkins is waiting to see who else comes in during the transfer window before committing to signing a new deal. Think it’s been reported Tielemans is the highest earner and I’d imagine Torres and Diaby will be on fairly high wages. With his form under Emery, he is quite rightly making sure he is going going be amongst the highest earners at the club and that might just mean waiting for the window to be shut first.

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Linked with Chelsea today - can’t see it, but if they do offer £100m I’d sell for that money and trust Unai and Monchi to replace well. I am not condoning and wanting him sold, but for £100m it would be hard to resist!

Not sure what the £100m plus Marcus Rashford is about 😅 poorly written headline as it’s just a quote from Collymore in the article stating United would need to pay £100m plus Rashford 😂

I see the Express online has the same story (link below).  Archie Griggs writes that "no concrete approaches have been made by the Blues as things stand" and adds that Watkins "is said to have a market value of just £35million, which could represent a bargain for Chelsea if they manage to agree a deal at that price in the near future." £35m! what a joke, that would indeed be a bargain.:rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1793934/Chelsea-Ollie-Watkins-Man-Utd-Marcus-Rashford-Premier-League-transfer-news

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

You say that, but we should also ask the question why Pochettino and Chelsea would want him for 100 mill?

It would mean we already have a phenomenal, and league proven asset we can use.

The increase in quality around him should, will see him thrive even further.

We'd essentially be strengthening a rival as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I see the Express online has the same story (link below).  Archie Griggs writes that "no concrete approaches have been made by the Blues as things stand" and adds that Watkins "is said to have a market value of just £35million, which could represent a bargain for Chelsea if they manage to agree a deal at that price in the near future." £35m! what a joke, that would indeed be a bargain.:rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1793934/Chelsea-Ollie-Watkins-Man-Utd-Marcus-Rashford-Premier-League-transfer-news

Ah yes we've developed him for 3 seasons into a good premier league striker just to sell him for basically what we paid for him 😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The contrast between Villa and Chelsea is remarkable: we’re clearly building something and on an upward trajectory. Poch or no Poch, they’re a team in decline run by a man (Boehly) who doesn’t have any idea about football. The place is a mess. 

I said this a few weeks back in the Martinez thread, but the biggest threat we face is the wages that these clubs pay. The Digne thread sees us talk about his massive income, but last season both Chelsea and Liverpool had an entire team of players each on more than him. For Liverpool, practically half of their 25 man squad earned more than our highest earner.

Add to that the additional exposure lands personal endorsements around the world plus automatic call ups to national teams. Chelsea have 40 million people following their Instagram compared to our 3 million.

This is not a slight on Villa, but there are plenty of non-footballing reasons why an agent and player would be tempted.

Thankfully, we are a very exciting project with a truly wonderful manager and set of owners. If we can have another successful season, these rumours will become fewer and far between. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You say that, but we should also ask the question why Pochettino and Chelsea would want him for 100 mill?

It would mean we already have a phenomenal, and league proven asset we can use.

The increase in quality around him should, will see him thrive even further.

We'd essentially be strengthening a rival as well.

Yeah, the story is complete bullshit anyway. But if there were even a shred of truth to it… it does demonstrate how much of a commodity a decent and reliable CF is in this day and age…

Certainly expect Ollie to go from strength to strength here… hope and pray he breaks Gabby’s scoring record asap too…

Crazy how times have changed, used to be so many star strikers back in the day…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

A Wellesbourne market value? 

• Like 1

Â