Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Don’t think he can be upset at the situation really. It shows him how far he has come in a rapid amount of time that he has gotten himself into a position to be considered for the national team squad. A few years ago look where he was. Hopefully he sees it as congratulations not commiserations. Great for Villa as well as it shows us how we are progressing too.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Rashford and Sterling are very lucky to go, on their form....they look stale to me.

Only an idiot would include them on current form. Just sayin. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think DCL is ok, but that is not the reason Ollie has been omitted.

with Greenwood pulling out, I thought he was pretty much nailed on.

I think Rashford and Sterling are very lucky to go, on their form....they look stale to me.

Southgate goes with the name only, he loves a big name & a big club. I would take Ollie Watkins over those two on any team I was putting together. 

• Like 2

Bizarre that one of him or even Bamford have not been included. With Greenwood pulling out (who certainly would have been included), it is a real gamble.

I don't think both kane and DCL will get injured, but if they do we're screwed. No where else are we screwed with 2 injuries.

Too many right backs, too many injured players that haven't played for weeks. Shame for ollie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Southgate goes with the name only, he loves a big name & a big club. I would take Ollie Watkins over those two on any team I was putting together. 

Jaden Philogene-Bidace is sure to be the starting winger next tournament then. 

• Haha 2

Missed out by the smallest of margins. Its interesting that only Ollie, Ward-Prowse and Lingard who will stay on and play with the 26 man squad in the friendlies/warm up games - that means they are very, very close. But it I find it starnge that they are likely to get game time in the warm-ups ahead of the tournament - why give game time to players who wont be there? Very odd, but shows how highly they are thought of - it can only be good for Ollie.

• Like 1

I completely understand the reasons why Watkins wouldn't be in that Euros squad.

Other than the fact Vardy, Ings, Bamford and Greenwood all also aren't in it. I'd argue Ollies case but I'd understand if one of those was selected over him. 

But to take 2 recognised strikers (one in form, sort of) and 4 Right Backs is pretty nuts. After Greenwood pulled out I was sure Ollie made the cut.

• Like 2

I think DCL is a decent player, but if Kane gets injured and all we have up front at a major international competition is DCL, we aint getting out of the group.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I think DCL is a decent player, but if Kane gets injured and all we have up front at a major international competition is DCL, we aint getting out of the group.

I dunno we only have to finish 3rd and we're playing Scotland....

To be fair I love Ollie but I'd say the same about him too, neither of them have the experience or the pedigree at this level, I think it's daft that we're only taking 2 strikers, can only think that Southgate thinks rashford or sterling can cover, I don't think he would have played though if Kane stayed fit

Hopefully fires Ollie up, the qualifiers will come round again soon and the WC is next year, glad he's stuck with the squad and hope he gets minutes on the friendlies but it'll probably be DCL 

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Missed out by the smallest of margins. Its interesting that only Ollie, Ward-Prowse and Lingard who will stay on and play with the 26 man squad in the friendlies/warm up games - that means they are very, very close. But it I find it starnge that they are likely to get game time in the warm-ups ahead of the tournament - why give game time to players who wont be there? Very odd, but shows how highly they are thought of - it can only be good for Ollie.

Because half the squad isn't back from Europa/champions league finals yet. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Because half the squad isn't back from Europa/champions league finals yet. 

They can also make changes up until the day before the Croatia game

This squad isn't final, I think maguire or Henderson won't make it 

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

No bias there then. He has been brilliant for us all season but has one season in the premier league and 20 minutes at international level and yes I know he scored but that isn’t enough at the level he is aiming for at the moment . His time will come if he kicks on from where he is now. Just be patient.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Good news for us. He has a bright future in front of him and now a full summer to be ready to push on next season.

And incentive to be better. He knows he's on the cusp of a World Cup if he improves in his second PL season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smg said:

No bias there then. He has been brilliant for us all season but has one season in the premier league and 20 minutes at international level and yes I know he scored but that isn’t enough at the level he is aiming for at the moment . His time will come if he kicks on from where he is now. Just be patient.

For me it's all about picking in form players not reputations. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Good news for us. He has a bright future in front of him and now a full summer to be ready to push on next season.

After my first thought of disappointment for him, this was my second thought.  It’s great news for us.  At the end of the day Villa are my priority.

• Like 1

Â