Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

2 hours ago, useless said:

Watched Iroegbunam for them a few times last season in the FAYC and he looks a very good player... I think there was talk of him having a chance of getting game time for Albion's first team next season...

Was on the bench for their last game of the season against Leeds... If he does sign will be interesting to see where he fits in, the few times I watched him for Albion they played with him and Teixeira as two holding midfielders with Rico Richards in front of them as a No.10, but he was very good at running with the ball and bringing it forward, more like a box-to-box midfielder than a traditional DM.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Looks a good ball playing defender...

193cm high at 16 years old! What have they been feeding him?

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

Considering we poached most of their Academy staff as well, they should know the most about the talent over there.

Yes, this is a good point. It might not fit the traditional profile of one of our youth signings given his age, but he's a player we know well.

17 hours ago, thejoker said:

Another one through the door. I’m loving NSWE’s commitment to the youth team. 

im really impressed how we are going in for young players, nothing overt, barry big bo***cks or trying to steal youth from teams, we are going in quietly, doing it right, agreeing a good/fair fee, selling our vision and making a good name for ourselves as a good club to deal with!

great stuff, you love to see it.

According to transfermarkt Finley Munroe has joined us after leaving Chelsea, they have him down as a defensive-midfielder, but when he played for the U18s on trial at the end of the season he played left-back. I think he's around the same age as Travis Patterson as they've both been in England camps together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The club has exercised an option to extend Louie Barry's contract until 2024 and Brad Young, Hayden Lindley, Arjan Raikhy, Filip Marschall and Chisom Afoka have all signed new deals. Under-18 team-mate Patrick Zito has also penned a short-term contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Aston Villa is delighted to announce that 10 players have signed scholarships with the club. 

James Wright, a goalkeeper with excellent distribution, has joined from Manchester City, where he spent a number of years in their Academy.

An athletic, technically gifted full-back, Jayden Barber arrives from Fulham. The youngster has been selected for England training camps in recent seasons.

A product of Villa’s Academy, Harvey Rhoadescan play right-back or centre-back and has been at the club since joining the Under-9s.

Centre-back Luke Softley has displayed his leadership qualities and passion for defending on his way up through the ranks since joining as an Under-9s player.

Finley Munroe joins the Academy from Chelsea. Munroe is a versatile left-footed player who can play in a number of positions, having performed well for the Blues at centre-back, left-back and as a holding midfielder.

Another homegrown youngster, Todd Alcock, is a holding midfielder with great technical ability, an eye for a pass and has displayed a mentality to improve as he’s moved up through the age groups.

Mikell Barnes is another local player who joined Villa as an Under-9. Barnes is a footballer who manages the ball effectively from midfield and can link the defending unit to attack.

Charlie Lutz joined Villa as an Under-9 and can play in wide attacking positions and also as a centre-forward. A desire to improve and fulfil his potential has helped him be rewarded with his scholarship.

Kobei Moore is a centre-forward who has developed into an effective goalscorer with good movement. Moore has impressed Academy coaches with his mentality since joining Villa as an Under-9.

Kyrie Pierre recently joined the club from Bristol Rovers and is a creative attacking midfielder with excellent technical ability, movement and an eye for goal. He has settled in well since arriving in May.

They join duo Josh Feeney and Ajani Burchall, who have each signed for the club's Academy this week.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

No mention of Travis Patterson or Kadan Young amongst those new scholars, I'm guessing it must be something to do with their age, Young doesn't turn sixteen until next year, wouldn't normally be fully promoted to the U18s until the 22/23, but given we started giving him game time at the end of last season I imagine the intention is to use him this coming season a year early, I think he might be another we got from Albion.

Right wing seemed to be a bit of problem area for us last season, I think we played a different player in that position in every round of the FAYC, so Ajani should help with that. Must have something about him to have already played for Bournemouth's first team in the championship as a sixteen year old, even if only briefly. He and Feeney might start initially in the U18s but I'm guessing it won't be long before they're with the U23s, similar to Bogarde and Chrisene last season.

Edited by useless

Â