Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

I notice Kerr Smith has started the last two games for Dundee United, not sure if he would give up first team football with them to play for our U23s. A connection he does have with us is that his current manager is Micky Mellon, and he and Adam Henshall worked together at Shrewsbury and Henshall has since stated that he had a good working relationship with Mellon. Maybe we could sign him and send him back on loan.

Sounds like we've given Bristol Rovers a decent sum for Kyrie Pierre, this is from their official site...

Academy player Kyrie Pierre has joined Aston Villa for a record fee received by the Academy for a player.

The U16's playmaker has linked up with the Premier League side after impressing Villa's scouts in fixtures for the Rovers Academy sides.

The undisclosed fee involved is a record payment received by the Academy for a youth player and will allow the setup to continue to develop and produce the next generation of players in the years to come. 

Speaking about the deal, Academy Manager Chris Hargreaves said, "‘Kyrie is a fantastic young man and a very capable player and everyone at the Academy is delighted for him to be joining such a historic football club. 

"Having spoken to Mark Harrison (Academy Manager) at Aston Villa, we wanted to allow Kyrie and his family the opportunity to speak to the club. 

"Both Mark and I have built a good relationship and look forward to working together over the coming years. 

"The move works for all parties, primarily of course for the player and his family, and also for the Academy and Bristol Rovers Football Club.

"This is a record fee for our Academy and means that the Academy can look to become more sustainable and fit the brief of producing high-quality players that can play in our first team, whilst being realistic that in a competitive market place, players may have the opportunity to develop at Premier League clubs. 

"It is all about the player in these situations and we wish Kyrie and his family the best of luck going forward and we will be keeping a keen eye on his progression."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, useless said:

Sounds like we've given Bristol Rovers a decent sum for Kyrie Pierre, this is from their official site...

Academy player Kyrie Pierre has joined Aston Villa for a record fee received by the Academy for a player.

The U16's playmaker has linked up with the Premier League side after impressing Villa's scouts in fixtures for the Rovers Academy sides.

The undisclosed fee involved is a record payment received by the Academy for a youth player and will allow the setup to continue to develop and produce the next generation of players in the years to come. 

Speaking about the deal, Academy Manager Chris Hargreaves said, "‘Kyrie is a fantastic young man and a very capable player and everyone at the Academy is delighted for him to be joining such a historic football club. 

"Having spoken to Mark Harrison (Academy Manager) at Aston Villa, we wanted to allow Kyrie and his family the opportunity to speak to the club. 

"Both Mark and I have built a good relationship and look forward to working together over the coming years. 

"The move works for all parties, primarily of course for the player and his family, and also for the Academy and Bristol Rovers Football Club.

"This is a record fee for our Academy and means that the Academy can look to become more sustainable and fit the brief of producing high-quality players that can play in our first team, whilst being realistic that in a competitive market place, players may have the opportunity to develop at Premier League clubs. 

"It is all about the player in these situations and we wish Kyrie and his family the best of luck going forward and we will be keeping a keen eye on his progression."

I really hope we see some olayers break through  soon

Post grealish no one else has really made it here. Im sorry but i cant include Davis. 

Im optimistic with the likes of kesler barry and chuk

The other thing that I really like is that with this one (and the Chrisene from Exeter) that the other club has stated we've been fair, professional, and not being 'cheap' when it comes to signing these kids for the academy. Helps us keep building relationships with other clubs academies and knowing that we will be good partner to sell to without trying to buy on the cheap. We're finally being run super professionally. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I really hope we see some olayers break through  soon

Post grealish no one else has really made it here. Im sorry but i cant include Davis. 

Im optimistic with the likes of kesler barry and chuk

Over the next few years I think we'll see a few of them progress through and get a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Over the next few years I think we'll see a few of them progress through and get a chance.

Yeah im feeling more optimistic than i was under the xia nightmare 

Apparently Filip Marschall is currently at a training camp with the Poland U18 team, he was also part of the recent England U18 squad and has represented England at younger age groups as well.

Arsenal's Hubert Graczyk also a goalkeeper and who has also recently played for England U18s is also there as well.

Travis Patterson also with England U16s. Seems an interseting player, played on the right wing against Arsenal, and in the last two games played at left-back, he's also played left-back, central midfield and on the wing for England. I think he could be another one that advances to the U23s very quickly, he's already made the bench and doesn't turn sixteen until October.

• Like 2

On 01/06/2021 at 12:41, useless said:

Travis Patterson also with England U16s...

Started today and got an assist as they beat Northern Ireland 6-0. He wore the no.8 shirt, so presumably played in central midfield.

• Like 1

is it me? or do we seem to have a fetish for playmakers?

There seems to be more links with playmakers than any other posistions?

when is the next Gary Cahill or Gareth Barry due?

Surprised but glad to see that Patrick Zito has been offerred a contract, felt sorry for him last season, seemed to make the bench quite a few times but only made one brief appearance for about ten minutes.

Â