Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

It will be interesting what the plan is for these players in terms of integrating them, loaning and selling. There's so many highly rated youngsters it will be difficult to manage if they fulfill their potential. A good problem to have though. 

Always good to remember, reputation and 16 is far from reaching potential. I watched Eng v France under 16s at Aggborough maybe 1997ish? The only England players to really have a high level career from that day were Ledley King, Scott Parker, Francis Jeffers maybe Bywater was one of the keepers. Matthew Ghent was the other from Villa. I don't think any of the French really became household names at all, in UK at least. 

• Like 1

I notice Lino Sousa left-back from Albion commenting on a lot of our players posts recently, probably reading too much into it but makes me wonder if he's another that we're going for, especially as we seem to be light in the left-back area. Was impressed with him when I watched them against Everton in the FAYC, didn't realize at the time he was still only sixteen, England youth international.

24 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

It will be interesting what the plan is for these players in terms of integrating them, loaning and selling. There's so many highly rated youngsters it will be difficult to manage if they fulfill their potential. A good problem to have though. 

We hired a Head of Emerging Talents & Loans and Mile Jedinak as our new Loan Player Development Coach, so looks like there is a clear game plan in place. 

It’s a bit silly but after the feel good factor of the FA youth cup victory this season I can’t help wondering who would be in the team in the forthcoming season.

The U18s and FAYC both have the same eligibility criteria (18 as of 31Aug 21) which rules out many of the important members of the winning team / squad from this year:- Young, Barry, S Revan, A Ramsey, Lindley, Kessler, Raikhy, Marschall, Appiah, M Sylla. (Based on BOF’s list of DOBs)

Presumably these players move into the U23 and give us a bit of a foundation for a promotion push.

Meanwhile in the FAYC /U18s Chukwuemeka, Chisene, Bogarde and Swinkels  remain eligible although I suspect Carney might not be involved this year. Shakpoke should hopefully be able to lead the line replacing Young. Bogarde could move to DM in place of Lindley.

Then some of the new signings might come into play. Feeney could replace Bogarde at centre half. Burchall could come in as the right forward. Then the list of players on the club website looks like they are there to fill the gaps.

Aston Villa is delighted to announce that 10 players have signed scholarships with the club. 

James Wright, a goalkeeper with excellent distribution, has joined from Manchester City, where he spent a number of years in their Academy.

An athletic, technically gifted full-back, Jayden Barber arrives from Fulham. The youngster has been selected for England training camps in recent seasons.

A product of Villa’sAcademy, Harvey Rhoadescan play right-back or centre-back and has been at the club since joining the Under-9s.

Centre-back Luke Softley has displayed his leadership qualities and passion for defending on his way up through the ranks since joining as an Under-9s player.

Finley Munroe joins the Academy from Chelsea. Munroe is a versatile left-footed player who can play in a number of positions, having performed well for theBlues at centre-back, left-back and as a holding midfielder.

Another homegrown youngster, Todd Alcock, is a holding midfielder with great technical ability, an eye for a pass and has displayed a mentality to improve as he’s moved up through the age groups.

Mikell Barnes is another local player who joined Villa as an Under-9. Barnes is a footballer who manages the ball effectively from midfield and can link the defending unit to attack.

Charlie Lutz joined Villa as an Under-9 and can play in wide attacking positions and also as a centre-forward. A desire to improve and fulfil his potential has helped him be rewarded with hisscholarship.

Kobei Moore is a centre-forward who has developed into an effective goalscorer with good movement. Moore has impressed Academy coaches with his mentality since joining Villa as an Under-9.

Kyrie Pierre recently joined the club from Bristol Rovers and is a creative attacking midfielder with excellent technical ability,movement and an eye for goal. He has settled in well since arriving in May.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 00:41, useless said:

I wonder if we will try and sign Thierry Small, he's only sixteen so one for the future, but he's apparently stalling on signing a deal with Everton, watching him for them in the Youth Cup against Albion he looked their best attacking player despite being a left-back. He came through the West Brom academy, so our staff will know him already.

Not the most reliable of sources but 'Football Insider' are now linking us to him, nephew of Bryan Small.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who are the U23s training with the first team? Craig Shakespeare said there were 10 of them. From photos and social media I see there (presuming it was first team training):  Young, Barry, Raikhy, Bridge, Wright, Bogarde, Kesler, Revan, Chrisene....Chuck count?

Edited by nepal_villan

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Apparently we have signed Finn Azaz from West Brom... 20 yr old who was on loan at Cheltenham last season

Interesting considering he's Ramsay's age, who obviously got a fair few games last year.

I doubt the links to Finn Azaz, the link seems to originate from a self proclaimed 'West Brom ITK' twitter account, and I think that's probably where Football Insider picked up the story from. Wouldn't really make sense, will be twenty-one in a couple of months so too old for our academy and I doubt we'd sigh him for the first team squad blocking the routes of the likes of the Ramsey brothers, Chukwuemeka, Raikhy, Bogarde, and potentially Iroegbunam if he signs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went in for some of their younger players though, Jamal Jimoh, Lino Sousa, and Harry Whitwell are all England youth internationals, and Fenton Heard has been linked to us previously and Man City.

51 minutes ago, useless said:

I doubt the links to Finn Azaz, the link seems to originate from a self proclaimed 'West Brom ITK' twitter account, and I think that's probably where Football Insider picked up the story from. Wouldn't really make sense, will be twenty-one in a couple of months so too old for our academy and I doubt we'd sigh him for the first team squad blocking the routes of the likes of the Ramsey brothers, Chukwuemeka, Raikhy, Bogarde, and potentially Iroegbunam if he signs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went in for some of their younger players though, Jamal Jimoh, Lino Sousa, and Harry Whitwell are all England youth internationals, and Fenton Heard has been linked to us previously and Man City.

Lino Sousa eh? I hear he can cover the whole pitch… 😬

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Charlie Farr has ruptured his ACL poor lad. Horrible injury. Hope he makes a full recovery and is back before too long.

Shocking news for such a young player 

I wonder if we are one of clubs going for Lewis Bate? He’s v.highly rated and likened to a young wilshere. We should sign him up alongside Tino Livramento and why not make it a threesome and get Myles Peart-Harris whilst we are at it. All forced to team with the U16 as they won’t sign new contracts. 

Edited by thabucks

I'd be surprised if were interested in Lewis Bate, he turns 19 in a couple of months so doesn't fit the age profile of the players that we normally sign for our academy, Iroegbunam is older but even he's still younger than Barry and won't turn 19 until June next year so after this coming season.

And it's not as if we don't have plenty of midfielders coming through either, Chukwuemeka, Aaron Ramsey, Raikhy, potentially Iroegbunam, Chrisene, Lindley, Sylla, Hart, Rowe, O'Reilly, Bogarde who has been playing in defence but is also very good in midfield, then you've got the younger ones that seem to be highly rated like Patterson, Pierre and Barnes.

Edited by useless

Â