U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I wouldn't go that far. Twice recently the candidate has lost the popular vote and won the EC. Both Republicans and both controversially.  

Before Bush, a candidate hadn't won the Presidency without winning the popular vote for over 100 years, and dislike of the EC was a bipartisan issue until the last 20 years. The fact that both recent examples have resulted in Republican presidents kinda highlights the issue. If Trump were to win the EC and lose the popular vote (he is extremely likely to lose this, 538's model puts his chances of winning the popular vote at 3%) then 7 of the last 8 elections would have had a Democrat win the popular vote, whilst only winning the Presidency 50% of the time. The Republican platform is becoming more and more out of touch with the American people, but by stacking the deck in their favour they have managed to cling on to the presidency more often than they should have, all whilst becoming increasingly obstuctionist and detached from their supposed beliefs, seemingly morphing in to a party that believe in "stopping the libs" rather than conservative ideals (For example, what has Trump promised to do in his second term? I'm pretty sure his entire campaign has been Democrats=Bad, nothing else).

After both 2008 and 2012, it was said that the Republicans needed to adapt to the changing face of America, and they appeared to be trying to attract more diverse support, at least in appearance if not substance, by having Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio as major candidates in 2016 (both 1st generation immigrants), but then Trump made them realise they could be completely unrepresentative of the American people whilst still winning the Presidency so are doubling down further and target very select groups of people in a handful of states, instead of trying to represent all Americans. And that is all thanks to the EC being so unrepresentative, which cause the votes of the average Pennsylvanian to be worth more than that of a New Yorker, Californian, Texan or Montanan.

There's a reason why when America exports "Democracy" around the world, they never set up Electoral Colleges.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics by Jonathan Wilson would be my tip here

Excellent recommendation regardless.

• Like 1

Out of interest how many people on here are actual Americans and how many ex Europeans who have emigrated. I am fascinated by the "local" insight but wondering if it's pure native* or with a European slant. 

Just realised that using the word native when talking about Americans could be confusing! I meant it in a born in the USA kinda way. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Out of interest how many people on here are actual Americans and how many ex Europeans who have emigrated. I am fascinated by the "local" insight but wondering if it's pure native or with a European slant. 

I believe @maqroll is born and bred. 

47 minutes ago, darrenm said:

OT: I think it was Reep who Graham Taylor and Roy Hodgson borrowed their percentage based football from. Causing Taylor to rescue Watford then us.

Also interesting that he worked extensively with Brentford in the early 50s - looks like their analytical approach goes back a long way. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Out of interest how many people on here are actual Americans and how many ex Europeans who have emigrated. I am fascinated by the "local" insight but wondering if it's pure native* or with a European slant. 

Just realised that using the word native when talking about Americans could be confusing! I meant it in a born in the USA kinda way. 

I think there are very few native Americans on this board.

I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As someone with only a very basic understanding of US presidential elections, I found this video fascinating

That’s where the White House defences come in handy

Federal authorities are expected to re-erect a “non-scalable” fence around the White House on Monday, a day before a presidential election many fear may lead to mass protest, civil unrest and even armed insurrection.

Amid speculation that the election result will not be immediately known and signs Republicans will either declare victory early or mount legal challenges if Donald Trump appears to have lost, multiple news outlets reported the White House plan, citing anonymous sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/02/white-house-non-scaleable-fence-election

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics by Jonathan Wilson would be my tip here

16 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Excellent recommendation regardless.

yep. Horrendously off topic but probably the best football book ever

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He is so weird

To be honest this is my favourite thing he's ever done as president :D

Not sure an iconic gay anthem would appeal much to his supporters though

• Like 2

Â