U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I wouldn't stress about that too much. Yet. Reading the article, it's basically a Trafalgar Group poll that RealClearPolitics are including in their aggregate. And Trafalgar have had Trump winning pretty much everything since March.

So he might still win them, and the election - but it's nothing new today. 

Phew. Hopefully it's bogeycrap then. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Phew. Hopefully it's bogeycrap then. 

Hopefully Yougov's will make you feel a bit happier...

You'd think that if they had even the smallest doubts then they'd hedge and go 280-258 or something so they don't get laughed at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

You'd think that if they had even the smallest doubts then they'd hedge and go 280-258 or something so they don't get laughed at.

Yeah they're all in for Biden there!!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already asked this and I've not seen it. Sorry if this is the case.

Are the electors able to vote outside of the rules for the electoral college in their state and if they do is there a way to overturn it without years of litigation?

17 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already asked this and I've not seen it. Sorry if this is the case.

Are the electors able to vote outside of the rules for the electoral college in their state and if they do is there a way to overturn it without years of litigation?

Apologies if I have misunderstood the question, but I think you're asking if a state votes for one candidate, can one of the electors 'go rogue' and vote for another candidate?

If that's the question, the answer is yes, and it has happened a few times before, but never in a way that actually mattered to the outcome.

EDIT: Actually checking this, it's not quite true . . . it has mattered before, but not since the early 19th century. Apparently 33 states and DC have laws against electors being 'faithless' as well, so it's not very likely to happen. Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

Edited by HanoiVillan

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Apologies if I have misunderstood the question, but I think you're asking if a state votes for one candidate, can one of the electors 'go rogue' and vote for another candidate?

If that's the question, the answer is yes, and it has happened a few times before, but never in a way that actually mattered to the outcome.

I was asking that, just less clearly that you put it. 

I just find it interesting in light of the things Trump has said (or avoided saying) about accepting the decision as well managing to pack the courts massively in his favour. 

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I was asking that, just less clearly that you put it. 

I just find it interesting in light of the things Trump has said (or avoided saying) about accepting the decision as well managing to pack the courts massively in his favour. 

Gotcha. I think you wouldn't attempt to steal an election through faithless electors, it would be too hard to organise. Maybe one day someone will try, but I think Trump is just hoping to be ahead on the night tonight before mail ballots are counted, and then sue to stop the counting.

I think Trump wins either way sadly. If he wins then obviously he gets his second term, he loses and pushes this narrative of a fraudulent election and I reckon certain red states will reject the democratic authority and proclaim Trump as their leader still. 

1 minute ago, SuperTed said:

I think Trump wins either way sadly. If he wins then obviously he gets his second term, he loses and pushes this narrative of a fraudulent election and I reckon certain red states will reject the democratic authority and proclaim Trump as their leader still. 

In a twisted way, it would be interesting to see the latter. Sounds unprecedented. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Gotcha. I think you wouldn't attempt to steal an election through faithless electors, it would be too hard to organise. Maybe one day someone will try, but I think Trump is just hoping to be ahead on the night tonight before mail ballots are counted, and then sue to stop the counting.

I don't think it's particularly likely to happen either. You're right it would be impossible to organise, particularly without becoming public. 

The context of this election has just made me expect a surprise and with so many voting by mail I was thinking a few states that normally go with the popular vote could try something dodgy if they're late in the result cycle. 

3 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Yeah I think that’s about right. 

• Sad 1

Trawling US Psephology Twitter like a loser...

(i.e you take the Trumpiest Trump territory and extrapolate the trends there across the rest of the state, then he needs to be reporting around 70% of the votes to be Republican)

It's currently around 91k votes and it's approximately 59% Republican. 

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

If it is close he can try and go with the fraudulent election bollocks but if it is a landslide for Biden I can't see how even he could try to run with that line.

42 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's pretty bold calling Florida, Ohio, Georgia and Texas all going Blue. That would be the fisting and shellacking of a political lifetime for Trump. 

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

If it is close he can try and go with the fraudulent election bollocks but if it is a landslide for Biden I can't see how even he could try to run with that line.

He will do it to cause disorder, there will be many who will want to take up arms and Trump loves chaos 

• Sad 1

Â