U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

52 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Scary situation, though perhaps 'attempted homicide' is an exaggeration of Bamford-esque proportions.

I don't know mate. Ramming an SUV with a pick up truck on a highway? I'm not sure of the speed but reckless endangerment for sure. 

Certainly not Bamford-esque. 

Feels like to pot could boil over here at any second anywhere - it's awful.

34 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Feels like to pot could boil over here at any second anywhere - it's awful.

I am kind of suprised that Trump hasn't been assasinated, but when you think of it, he has most of the crazies on his side.  What chance has Biden got? I'm surprised he's not had any pot shots taken at him during campaigning. 

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am kind of suprised that Trump hasn't been assasinated, but when you think of it, he has most of the crazies on his side.  What chance has Biden got? I'm surprised he's not had any pot shots taken at him during campaigning. 

In fairness, he hasn't been out much :D

51 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The pickup truck was in the right hand lane and the SUV is the one straddling two lanes trying to get in front of the pickup isn’t it? 

Yeah, it was totally the unmarked SUV antagonizing all those patriotic Trump supporters with flags hanging out of their cars who were just out for an afternoon drive displaying that they had weapons.

Poor folks, I hope that they get over it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Brown trousers time:

'giving Trump the room to undermine the validity of uncounted mail-in ballots in the days after' is not exactly a promising phrase.

Even the Presidents advisors are publicly admitting that their plan is to keep it close enough so that they can steal the election.

That is where we are.  

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Going to be a lot closer than people think 

I keep hearing/reading this. It’s puzzling, for many reasons.

1) I don’t think anyone, having learned our lesson four years ago, is ruling out a Trump win. I’d say the mood is more anxious than it is confident. 
2) It seems to be based on very little evidence. All evidence says Biden is likely to win, and will almost certainly win the popular vote by more than Clinton did in 2016. The argument seems to be that «the polls were wrong in 2016, so they’ll be wrong again» which is a flawed argument. The polls weren’t that wrong in 2016, and they’d have to be more wrong now to give Trump reelection.

3) It seems to be said in anticipation of an «I told you so» in case Trump wins, which is bizarre. Not necessarily true for you, Dem, but for many. What’s the point? Predicting a Trump win given the available evidence doesn’t make you a genius, it makes you a pessimist. Congratu-freaking-lations! 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

Predicting a Trump win given the available evidence doesn’t make you a genius, it makes you a pessimist. 

Or, potentially an optimist. Depending on your point of view.

Maybe you've judged @Demitri_Cincorrectly. 

Maybe he'd like to explain his analysis of the polling methodology and where the flaws are, and then, given that it's going to be "closer than people think" he'd quickly offer which states he thinks Trump will win that he's currently not expected to, in order to bring about the "a lot closer" result that he's predicting. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I should, in the spirit of fairness, concede both points without further argument :D 

Available polling data right now gives Biden roughly 350 electoral votes. Of those, Florida, Arizona and Georgia are close and Trump could carry all of them. That still gives Biden 295 electoral votes. Next in line is Pennsylvania, which has been consistently polling in favour of Biden but is still close enough to plausibly flip. That still leaves Biden with 275 votes. Trump would then have to carry either one of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota or North Carolina, neither of which seems very likely to happen given the available polling. Biden really doesn’t have to outperform Hillary Clinton by much at all to win, in terms of total votes. A few thousand votes in the right places is all he needs. Right now, a Trump reelection looks unlikely, but not entirely impossible. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Maybe he'd like to explain his analysis of the polling methodology and where the flaws are, and then, given that it's going to be "closer than people think" he'd quickly offer which states he thinks Trump will win that he's currently not expected to, in order to bring about the "a lot closer" result that he's predicting. 

I’ve seen a few articles suggesting Trump could win , the vast majority are firmly on a Biden landslide though ... but could it be the silent voter scenario again?

from a sample size of one , I went to see Eddie Izzard last sat and there was a bit of audience participation, one woman was from America , asked if she had voted , answer was yes ... who for was met by silence , which tells you she voted Trump 

I think that’s the basis that is being carried forward for the “could be close “ argument ..

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve seen a few articles suggesting Trump could win , the vast majority are firmly on a Biden landslide though ... but could it be the silent voter scenario again?

from a sample size of one , I went to see Eddie Izzard last sat and there was a bit of audience participation, one woman was from America , asked if she had voted , answer was yes ... who for was met by silence , which tells you she voted Trump 

I think that’s the basis that is being carried forward for the “could be close “ argument ..

Polling firms are very aware of this though, and are weighting likely Trump respondents up. In other words, polls could just as easily be overrating Trump’s chances as underrating them. 

• Thanks 1

Scoop: Trump's plan to declare premature victory

President Trump has told confidants he'll declare victory on Tuesday night if it looks like he's "ahead," according to three sources familiar with his private comments.

• That's even if the Electoral College outcome still hinges on large numbers of uncounted votes in key states like Pennsylvania.

Behind the scenes: Trump has privately talked through this scenario in some detail in the last few weeks, describing plans to walk up to a podium on election night and declare he has won.

• For this to happen, his allies expect he would need to either win or have commanding leads in Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Arizona and Georgia.

Why it matters: Trump's team is preparing to falsely claim that mail-in ballots counted after Nov. 3 — a legitimate count expected to favor Democrats — are evidence of election fraud.

Details: Many prognosticators say that on election night, Trump will likely appear ahead in Pennsylvania — though the state's final outcome could change substantially as mail-in ballots are counted over the following days.

• Trump's team is preparing to claim baselessly that if that process changes the outcome in Pennsylvania from the picture on election night, then Democrats would have "stolen" the election.
  • Trump's advisers have been laying the groundwork for this strategy for weeks, but this is the first account of Trump explicitly discussing his election night intentions.

https://www.axios.com/trump-claim-election-victory-ballots-97eb12b9-5e35-402f-9ea3-0ccfb47f613f.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

Â