U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Na, he's done more for the blacks than Abe Lincoln, that's what he said himself - who am I to say he's wrong?

Well done that guy. 

And not forgetting how he's killing Coronavirus. 

He truly is the messiah 😁

I for one am now 'locked in' to the US election coverage - Trump wins it and the world is quite utterly screwed. At least good old Boris got us nicely placed as Trump's bitch, we'll be better off being on the side of a facist superpower. 

Just now, avfcDJ said:

Anybody staying up to watch the results roll in?

I know it won’t all be sorted on the night, it just fascinates me, so I’ll be up.

Other way around. Bed early and up early, there won’t be much to see* before 3-4am our time because of the time zones. 

*Except the rioting. 

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

Other way around. Bed early and up early, there won’t be much to see* before 3-4am our time because of the time zones. 

*Except the rioting. 

I've got some extra work to do on top of my FT job so will just pull an all nighter 😁

• Like 1

Could someone explain how the Electoral College works? 

I know it holds substantial power over regular individual votes, but what is it?  Why does it hold so much sway? why is it a thing? and how come so much is rested on it? 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I know it holds substantial power over regular individual votes, but what is it?  Why does it hold so much sway? why is it a thing? and how come so much is rested on it? 

Basically a system designed to give relative weight to each of the states in a national election, so Idaho etc still have a meaningful say despite having a much lower population than California, for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Awol said:

Basically a system designed to give relative weight to each of the states in a national election, so Idaho etc still have a meaningful say despite having a much lower population than California, for example. 

So why's the beef with it? 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

If you voted for Hilary last time and Trump got in, despite her getting 3 million more votes, you might feel cheated. Despite the fact it’s not (and has never been) a system that simply aggregates the popular vote, but is specifically designed to ensure a more geographically (not individually) representative result. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Briefly, unlike in France (for example), the US does not have a national presidential vote. Instead, the individual states are awarded a number of 'electors', which roughly reflect the size of the population. The smallest states have 3 electors; California, the largest, has 55. These electors are the people who choose the president. In the vast majority of states, the candidate who receives the majority of the vote statewide receives all of the state's electors (Maine and Nebraska do something slightly different).

In most elections, the distinction between the national popular vote (ie, the total vote across the country for each candidate) and the 'electoral college' (the number of electors pledged to each candidate) does not matter, because one candidate wins on both measures. Occasionally, like in 2000 and 2016, a candidate can win by getting more electors but fewer nationwide votes.

The relevance of *this* is that Trump has almost no chance of getting more votes this year, across the country, but he has a small-but-slightly-larger chance of getting more electors.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

There isn't that much beef with it. The side which loses normally has an issue with it.

It can mean that a candidate with fewer votes can win. Like Trump last time and (almost certainly) this time if he wins again.

But if you just do it on popular vote then it consolidates nearly all the power with the richer, more populous coastal states and erodes the rights and powers of the individual states.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

Â