U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Right now Biden is heavy favourite, nearly 10 points ahead in the national polls as the OP says. If that sort of margin were maintained on election day, you would expect Biden to win nearly every swing state and maybe one or two surprises as well. Of course, it might not be maintained. Per @Seat68's comment, if Trump pulled the margin back to a Biden lead of 3 or 4 points he might have an edge in the electoral college that would allow him to repeat 2016.

Unwise to make strong predictions, especially after getting burned in 2016, but on balance I don't expect Trump to win at the moment. He has become even more polarising - there are few undecided voters, and the vast majority of those who do not currently support him tell pollsters they wouldn't even consider voting for him. While many Democrats are not particularly fussed about voting for Biden, they are extremely passionate about voting against Trump.

Another interesting question is the down-ballot implications. It doesn't look like Republicans will win the House, but can they hang on to the Senate? In a Dem wave in 2018, Republicans nevertheless expanded their lead in the Senate. With Jones certain to lose in Alabama, they have a better chance of hanging on than might be expected. Just to be contrary, I'm going to predict a 50-50 Senate.

• Like 1

Apologies, I voted 'other' thinking this was a preference poll. Jumped the gun, my bad.

Trump and the whole beast that is the USA conjures thoughts of elections being postponed indefinitely as a consequence of martial law, or even worse, the country going to war, as congress would then hold the cards on what is to come of things. But I'm sure I'm just spouting my ignorance and cynicism on the subject and not much more! It's not a prediction regards the election, but if Biden does win, the USA has some hope of systemic change, and I wonder if the voting population are ready for that in the USA, I wouldn't know. 'He has approved our undertakings' is the phrase on the back of the dollar bill which implies a God given right, and when you consider the USA's war culture, having spent 93% of her history at war, the motto 'might is right' is quite fitting and synonymous with the Latin printed on the dollar bill. Trump personifies that kind of mentality, I'm not sure Biden does. There's a long way and a many an obstacle 'til November.

It all depends of covid19. If it keeps up, Biden can stay in hiding, the economy will be in the shitter and Trump is toast.

If covid19 has started to die down and the economy is bouncing back somewhat, then Trump has a chance as Biden is a walking disaster and a democratic party Bob Dole. 

Most importantly, it's 2020, so don't bother as there's 6 more months of chaos to come.

• Like 2

Trump. He's survived every scandal so far, I'm sure his brain dead cult like maniacs will sweep him to power. **** the polls now, as soon as it gets to election week / month, the usual assault on the senses in the press and through the tweets will see this corrupt **** win again. I refuse to believe he is capable of losing, certainly not gracefully. Obviously hope he loses, but he won't. It's a rigged system, and a good few million americans love and take pride in violent ignorance and stupidity, they embrace his racism etc. ****'em, but they'll win. I don't expect any decent preferable, even halfway liberal candidate in any modern country to win elections these days. The populace in so many countries is alive with frothing rabid racist words removed, anti covid illiterate words removed, anti science words removed, anti basic empathy words removed, anti nuance, pro dictatorial propaganda tribalism. 

words removed everywhere

• Thanks 1

I predict Trump. The nutters elected him once and Biden doesn't really seem like a good enough opponent.

Voted other because I hope for a Matt Santos-type to join the race.

Depends on the voter turnout and which demographic turns up, polls mean little any more any but post corona turn out could be shite, depends who that favours

America has somehow gone for the douche vs the turd sandwich again though, mad that Biden is so old

At least they'll spend billions trying to prove the other one is worse 

Far better than expected employment figures out today.

Trump taking personal credit for it and telling people no other president in history could have done it.

It’s an awkward position for some, wishing economic and medical collapse and misery on millions in the hope it causes a Biden win.

I voted "other".

While Biden would win emphatically if the election were tomorrow, Trump still has a (narrow) path to victory and it's hard betting against the latter given his ability to sow and capitalise on division / fear given the current climate.

All that said - it's 2020, which started with an impeachment process (remember that?) where even the concepts of lockdown orders, the economy crashing or defunding the police would have been almost impossible to explain to the majority of the electorate.  And we only just passed the half way mark for the year.

I'll go both candidates dead by November, so Stacey Abrams edging out Mike Pence.

Oh, and **** 2020.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Far better than expected employment figures out today.

Trump taking personal credit for it and telling people no other president in history could have done it.

It’s an awkward position for some, wishing economic and medical collapse and misery on millions in the hope it causes a Biden win.

I have absolutely zero faith in the reported numbers. 

Â