Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It isn't the same thing. Leeds were a mid table to lower end if the table team when Bielsa took charge. He turned them into a top 3 side within his first season. Quite the transformation.

Villa had been in a Cup Final the season before Smith took  charge. 

Garry **** monk took them to 7th 2 years before. Paul heckingbottom, who has proven to be a poor manager, finished 13th. Bielsa took them to 3rd. It's not that huge an improvement. 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Garry **** monk took them to 7th 2 years before. Paul heckingbottom, who has proven to be a poor manager, finished 13th. Bielsa took them to 3rd. It's not that huge an improvement. 

It isn't just in terms of the league finish.

It's the clear pattern of play. The fact that they are dominating nearly every single game. Exciting to watch.

Leeds fans treat him like a God. Just like Newcastle did with Rafa.

Going back to the 18 million wage cap.  What is to stop players becoming self employed and invoicing the club so off the wage bill.

That's what happens in many businesses around the world.   Makes them work harder to keep that income coming in too!

I think Jack obviously goes.

Someone will want Mings and for his England career he’ll go. I’m still unsure about whether anyone pays for Luiz, but I don’t think he’ll want to play championship.

Trez looks to be going and I think Smith has lost patience with El Ghazi
Without any additions I see the squad as:

Heaton

Steer/Nyland

Elmo

Guilbert

Konsa

Targett

Taylor

Konsa

Engels

Hause

Nakamba

--

Hourihane

McGinn

Samatta

Wesley

Davis

Even if the youth gets games,  additions wise we’d need at least:

1 x LCB

1 x DM

2 x b2b m

3 x wide forwards

Thats still a big rebuild to do. Add on a small time period for the restart, do we really want to risk that by not having a manager in? I’m very much in 2 minds.

I think one of El Ghazi or Trez will stay. Even if it’s as a rotation option. I’m sure some will be annoyed at that, but El Ghazi got promoted with us before and Trez hasn’t looked miles worse than him. So I think either could still do a job.

What we’re going to need to do, is to use some of the incoming money to invest in goalscorers, either up front, out wide or in midfield.

Hourihane will get some, and I think Wes/ Samatta/ Davis are capable of getting a few goals down there too, but we really need a good, PACY midfielder or two. If no-one goes in for that Eze chap from QPR, he’d seem like an obvious candidate.

As much as people will be gutted to lose Grealish, him going will move us away from having to have one main danger-man in the team. It’ll be a nice change to maybe have a couple of dangerous wingers and a dangerous CM/AMC too.

I can see Trez moving back to Turkey, he's a high profile player for his country and he may want to go to a league where he'll have it easy and be seen as a hero. I'm sure his agent has been touting him around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If were to lose Grealish, Mings, McGinn, Trezeguet and Luiz, we'd have the money to invest in a side that could dominate the championship.

That would kill any chance of promotion if all of them left. We might as well accept being mediocre like blose.

Out of all those grealish trez and mings would be only ones id sell. That brings 100m or close to

We dont need to sell anyone else

• Like 1

Sorry I haven’t been keeping an eye on this thread regularly so sorry if it’s been asked and answered already. Does anybody know if the EFL could look at the ground sale again and/or our spending ala QPR? I know Prem were happy in the end but is that it settled for good?

Edited by thabucks
Irrelevant second paragraph

The EFL would have looked into our finances when we were promoted if they'd have found anything wrong we'd have been punished then, they wouldn't have to wait for us to come back down as was the case with QPR since the rules have changed since then.

Same with the sale of the ground that will have already been investigated and if there had have been any wrong doing we would have heard about it. Quite a few teams have sold their ground that in itself isn't against the rules, Derby and Wednesday are in trouble because of discrepancies involving the sale of their grounds, Derby because there's a suspicion that they overvalued it and Wednesday because they put the sale in the wrong accounts.

• Thanks 1

With COV-19 and the impact on clubs finances, I don’t expect there’s going to be high transfer fees, except from the very rich clubs. With this, clubs aren’t going to give their players away unless they get what they are worth, so it’s easy to say we’ll loose this player and that, but in reality outside of Grealish, we aren’t going to get the same as we paid for Mings, so does the club make a $10m loss? I don’t believe so.

There’s deals to be done, maybe loans in the other direction, but I don’t see as many going as some have suggested. And maybe some of these players will give the club 12 months to set it right.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That would kill any chance of promotion if all of them left. We might as well accept being mediocre like blose.

Out of all those grealish trez and mings would be only ones id sell. That brings 100m or close to

We dont need to sell anyone else

McGinn will stay still has 4 yrs on his contract no one would pay our valuation, other 3 will go trez will be zero loss, will need to be very clever replacing the other 2 though. 

Worth noting that 2nd place will probably go up on 85 points. WBA could even go up on 82 points which would be one less than we managed in 17/18.

I can see a slow start next season and people will get in a muddle about how we must get 95 points to get automatically promoted when this season has shown you can get automatic promotion without needing two points a game ratio.

Think next season will be weaker anyway with less transfer activity and some of the teams potentially starting on - points.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Worth noting that 2nd place will probably go up on 85 points. WBA could even go up on 82 points which would be one less than we managed in 17/18.

I can see a slow start next season and people will get in a muddle about how we must get 95 points to get automatically promoted when this season has shown you can get automatic promotion without needing two points a game ratio.

Think next season will be weaker anyway with less transfer activity and some of the teams potentially starting on - points.

Yeah but knowing our luck there will be 3+ teams all crushing it like wolves Cardiff and Fulham that year

On 17/07/2020 at 17:37, S-Platt said:

Going back to the 18 million wage cap.  What is to stop players becoming self employed and invoicing the club so off the wage bill.

That's what happens in many businesses around the world.   Makes them work harder to keep that income coming in too!

That would have to change in unison.....otherwise no one would sign for you, if it was selective.

14 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

So those scumbags from West Yorkshire are back in the premier League. Here's hoping the Qataris don't buy them. They're going to stick a finger up at ffp if they do and find ways around it.

well, I think we are a perfect example......you can have the money, but if it is not spent wisely, what use is it......I hear Fulham clapping in the background.

Â