Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Proven in the Championship means nothing. Ross McCormack was proven at Championship level. We all know how that signing ended up - with our current club captain crashing his Land Rover 4 years later after a house party during a pandemic enforced lockdown when Ross hadn't played for the club for about 3 years.

Having said that I think Gayle would be a decent signing as he offers something different, he's quick and strong, works hard for the team and has a nose for goal, but I'm not going to entertain this notion of proven Championship quality because there are too many external factors which influence a players performance.

In any case we're going to win the last two games and stay up so I hope we're aiming higher than Gayle.😉

Agree, has to be a player bought based on the system you plan to play

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We will be without Tammy and Jack this time.

We got no prolific goal scorers up front. Next to no creativity in midfield. Our wingers are shocking.

I can see this team finishing around 9th if we fail once again in the recruitment. And remember there will be next to no pre season. New season will start almost straight away.

And remember Purslow is against loans. Unless there is a buy back clause.

I dont think anyone can predict anything until we know what team we have, the Jack replacement in the championship is already at Villa if he stays and thats Luiz - He has been great in the holding role but he is much more than that. I personally would only say Jack, Trez and Mings are certain to go the others could easily go either way

3 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

I dont think anyone can predict anything until we know what team we have, the Jack replacement in the championship is already at Villa if he stays and thats Luiz - He has been great in the holding role but he is much more than that. I personally would only say Jack, Trez and Mings are certain to go the others could easily go either way

Think you're wrong about Luiz.

Clubs will gladly be willing to pay up for his supposedly 25 mill buy back clause.

Midfielders like him is a very rare breed and extremely valuable for any team. There will be no shortage of takers.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Think you're wrong about Luiz.

Clubs will gladly be willing to pay up for his supposedly 25 mill buy back clause.

Midfielders like him is a very rare breed and extremely valuable for any team. There will be no shortage of takers.

That's why I said IF he stays.............

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

At worst, we'll lose half a dozen of our best players and be the richest team ever to arrive in the Championship.

We could go down and spend more this summer than we did last summer.

Really?

I think we will get back around what we initially spent. Remember our net spend has been around 140-150 million including the Samatta signing. But we didn't really get much income in terms of players out. 

It would surprise me if we spent more than 30-40 million. 

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Really?

I think we will get back around what we initially spent. Remember our net spend has been around 140-150 million including the Samatta signing. But we didn't really get much income in terms of players out. 

It would surprise me if we spent more than 30-40 million. 

We made that £140m back in Premier League TV money - we'll have made a loss on the CV stuff, but I would hope not a massive one and I don't think our operating losses in our season in the Premier League will be massively significant. We'll go down with parachute payments and a more sensible wage bill which should offer some protection to our bottom line in 2020-21.

We can then expect somewhere between £100m and £200m from player sales AND I think we have a board that is still keen to invest.

If you add the holes in the squad that will be left by players leaving, and the holes in the squad depth that were there already, you get a club that have a squad that will definitely  need strengthening, a reasonable balance sheet and a huge amount of money potentially available to invest in a revamp.

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

At worst, we'll lose half a dozen of our best players and be the richest team ever to arrive in the Championship.

We could go down and spend more this summer than we did last summer.

That would be sweet.

But oh my lord.....please let us buy some good players......please.....

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

That would be sweet.

But oh my lord.....please let us buy some good players......please.....

.. yeah like we did last time, and the time before that, and the time before that ........

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It all depends on who stays and who goes.

In a scenario where Mings, McGinn, Jack and Luiz goes we are is serious trouble.

This relegation is an absolute disaster for the football club. Massively slows down our building progress. Basically losing half our foundations and have to rebuild.

Last time we went down (with a far worse squad) we signed Chester, Gollini, McCormack, Adomah, Jedinak, Kodj and Elphick by the end of that August. Yes a couple of those were disasters but a few of those were also still part of the squad and involved v Derby so proved good signings at that level.

Does make me smiling people predicting we won't challenge when looking at this squad and seemingly thinking we won't sign anyone when we'll probably get at least five new outfield players in. Who knows how good they'll be but I'm sure 2-3 of them will be given the lower quality level. We will have to use the loan market again and we showed last time we were down there we could pick up premier league standard players like Snodgrass, Axel and Tammy.

Baulking up the squad is a must anyway given the chaotic fixture list that's going to be next season.

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We made that £140m back in Premier League TV money - we'll have made a loss on the CV stuff, but I would hope not a massive one and I don't think our operating losses in our season in the Premier League will be massively significant. We'll go down with parachute payments and a more sensible wage bill which should offer some protection to our bottom line in 2020-21.

We can then expect somewhere between £100m and £200m from player sales AND I think we have a board that is still keen to invest.

If you add the holes in the squad that will be left by players leaving, and the holes in the squad depth that were there already, you get a club that have a squad that will definitely  need strengthening, a reasonable balance sheet and a huge amount of money potentially available to invest in a revamp.

assuming we sell grealish and the board puts up 40m, that 100m ish to spend with only losing grealish, and only minor impact on our finances overall.

As you say, every other player we lose is also money to invest.

Personally I would prefer to only lose grealish and have 100m to spend, than lose 5 or 6 key players, have 200m to spend but need to ensure that 200m is spent wisely.......

Without grealish, with 100m to spend, we would probably only need 3 or 4 good players to make us a really good side.

Would rather that than having to spend 200m on 10 players again and not knowing if it will work out or not.....

Would prefer some stability, lose 1-2 players, invest 100-120m on 4 or 5 very good players, and improve the team with a view to immediate promotion.

Edited by MaVilla

The looming black cloud is the Championship wage cap proposals - if they limit wages to £18m per team then it won't matter how much we have to spend, we won't be able to pay enough good players to progress in any way.

The Championship wage cap finishes the idea of developing a team in the Championship and then getting promoted - they become two entirely separate things - win the Championship and then buy a new eleven would be the only way to survive on promotion.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The looming black cloud is the Championship wage cap proposals - if they limit wages to £18m per team then it won't matter how much we have to spend, we won't be able to pay enough good players to progress in any way.

The Championship wage cap finishes the idea of developing a team in the Championship and then getting promoted - they become two entirely separate things - win the Championship and then buy a new eleven would be the only way to survive on promotion.

Can you see that getting implemented?

If it did it would ruin football, the premiership would be effectively severed from the league below it.

Although that's probably what they want tbh.......

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Can you see that getting implemented?

If it did it would ruin football, the premiership would be effectively severed from the league below it.

Although that's probably what they want tbh.......

They've had one go at getting it passed but they couldn't reach agreement - the Championship is a madhouse in terms of it's governance and regulation, anything could happen.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The wage cap idea is seriously terrible, like.....so terrible I don't understand why any club would vote for it.

Although, will probably get voted in by all the smaller clubs who want to drag the other teams down to their level.

It would ruin football imo.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

They've had one go at getting it passed but they couldn't reach agreement - the Championship is a madhouse in terms of it's governance and regulation, anything could happen.

wonder if a rich club (like us), could legally challenge it?

Maybe legally challenge it and keep it in the courts for a year or 2 while we get promoted :)

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, MaVilla said:

wonder if a rich club (like us), could legally challenge it?

Maybe legally challenge it and keep it in the courts for a year or 2 while we get promoted :)

They're genuinely keen to bring it in for the start of the new season.

That could be the end of August. We'd have no say in that until we're relegated and no time do anything about it if we were.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They're genuinely keen to bring it in for the start of the new season.

That could be the end of August. We'd have no say in that until we're relegated and no time do anything about it if we were.

So basically we could be in disastrously huge trouble when we go down.

• Like 1

Â