Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

30 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Speaks volumes that people except Wesley to be here. I agree however. I wish we could retain the others, but guess this is how football is. 

Mings and McGinn I've had some hope of retaining, but Grealish's silence on the club has kinda showed he's already out IMO, but we'll see. So much for being a Villa fan eh. Days of players like Le Tissier and Totti are over. 

If Grealish wants to play for England in the rescheduled euro's then, if we go down he has to leave as Southgate has said he won't pick players not playing at the  highest level. Comparison with  Le Tissier and Totti is unfair as to the best of my knowledge both those players clubs never played outside of the topflight. 

• Like 2

If we go down and at this point I think we will we need to look at the squad we have and see who's cut out to play in the Championship. It's a long season and you don't get the protection you get in the Premiership. For me I'd try to build a team around a core of

Heaton

Guilbert Konsa Hause Targett

Marv or other?

Hourihane McGinn

??????           Wesley          ?????

I'd love to think the Luiz, Mings, Jack will still be there but I don't see that happening. For those 3 players we should be looking at 80-100mil. That must mean we can keep the rest? Then it's down to the players. I think El Ghazi and Trez will go. I'm not sure about Marv, I think if a decent offer comes in for him we would take it same goes for Samatta. I'd like to see Engels stay as he would be good at that level same for Elmo and Taylor. 

We would need to go into the transfer market for some attacking talent, a few wingers will pace for a start and then replacing those who will leave. 

23 minutes ago, Nabby said:

If Grealish wants to play for England in the rescheduled euro's then, if we go down he has to leave as Southgate has said he won't pick players not playing at the  highest level. Comparison with  Le Tissier and Totti is unfair as to the best of my knowledge both those players clubs never played outside of the topflight. 

I don't think it's unfair at all, but if it matters lets say Del Piero, like it was pointed to on the last page. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think it's unfair at all, but if it matters lets say Del Piero, like it was pointed to on the last page. 

Del Perio stayed and they were promoted that season , Jack has done 3 years in the championship with us already.

Also Del Perio stayed with a club that he had won titles with and staying with them didn't effect him being picked for Italy

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep. It's hard to grasp. Tbh I like the general idea of this, but you have to get the PL on board or it's doing what you said. 

I agree  if pl did it then it wouldnt be so bad. But having the pl not do it and the efl does there is no chance of the gap closing. If anything will expand even further.

You will see more premier league managers getting sacked because of more panic and also you will see more panic buying from the lower ends of the pl as yoh wilm be terrified of getting relegated.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree  if pl did it then it wouldnt be so bad. But having the pl not do it and the efl does there is no chance of the gap closing. If anything will expand even further.

You will see more premier league managers getting sacked because of more panic and also you will see more panic buying from the lower ends of the pl as yoh wilm be terrified of getting relegated.

It would, also, just be the same clubs coming up and down in my opinion. It's an insane idea and I pray it doesn't happen.

10 hours ago, Nabby said:

Current championship clubs meeting to discuss a 18mil a year wage cap to be implemented from next season 

That will certainly stuff us if we go down..

I'm not so sure. If you're going to get the same wages whoever you play for, who would you rather play for in that league? Us or Reading? 

They cant take into account existing wages signed before any cap. 

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It would, also, just be the same clubs coming up and down in my opinion. It's an insane idea and I pray it doesn't happen.

Absolutely agree. If anything just scrap ffp and im sure alot of clubs would get wealthy owners to survive even in the efl

42 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

If we go down and at this point I think we will we need to look at the squad we have and see who's cut out to play in the Championship. It's a long season and you don't get the protection you get in the Premiership. For me I'd try to build a team around a core of

Heaton

Guilbert Konsa Hause Targett

Marv or other?

Hourihane McGinn

??????           Wesley          ?????

I'd love to think the Luiz, Mings, Jack will still be there but I don't see that happening. For those 3 players we should be looking at 80-100mil. That must mean we can keep the rest? Then it's down to the players. I think El Ghazi and Trez will go. I'm not sure about Marv, I think if a decent offer comes in for him we would take it same goes for Samatta. I'd like to see Engels stay as he would be good at that level same for Elmo and Taylor. 

We would need to go into the transfer market for some attacking talent, a few wingers will pace for a start and then replacing those who will leave. 

Don't forget Conor was still largely inconsistent in the championship. When you took away goals and assists it was even more damning. He would be a great squad player / back up, but if we are looking at automatic promotion we need to get better player in to start.

Central midfield is still going to be a very important recruitment position for us. We are going to need to replace Jack and Luiz. Two excellent players and in jack's case our only talisman for years. 

Two more wingers, two centre forwards and two midfielders.

Defence and keeper can remain pretty much intact

27 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Del Perio stayed and they were promoted that season , Jack has done 3 years in the championship with us already.

Also Del Perio stayed with a club that he had won titles with and staying with them didn't effect him being picked for Italy

Apples and oranges. Del Piero was already an established super star when he stated the club deserved  his services despite relegation. Jack stayed down there with us mostly cause he wasn't much better. He developed by playing and is above that level now, but lets not pretend he was a PL player in 2016. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wonder if the EFL is trying to become a league more in its own right ? 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Apples and oranges. Del Piero was already an established super star when he stated the club deserved  his services despite relegation. Jack stayed down there with us mostly cause he wasn't much better. He developed by playing and is above that level now, but lets not pretend he was a PL player in 2016. 

He wasnt established but he could have got a move back to the Premier League to a team like Spurs, he had done more for Villa in the top tier than Adama did and he got a Premier League move that summer.

EFL are a separate entity and they will make the rules to look after the majority of their clubs. Same with the Premier League. I don't think the EFL could give a toss if it means any promoted club just cannot compete once promoted and that is a bloody big problem for football.

With Leeds gone we will be like the Man Utd of the Championship in the sense of the club everyone would love to beat. It will be like a cup final for everyone having to play us.

That's one good thing about Covid-19. Players won't have to feel the additional pressure from the crowd. That will help a lot.

McGinn will be at Newcastle next season. I think it's important to retain proven Championship players - Konsa, Targett, Elmo, Hourihane  (who I'd make captain). I think some others will cut it too - Guilbert, Nakamba, Wesley. Not seen anything from Samatta to convince me he'll be up for it. 

Hopefully the Grealish, Mings, Luiz and McGinn money, plus parachute payments, will give us some financial muscle. Unlike this season we should bring in 4-5 experienced Championship players, maybe a couple that won't cut it in the Prem (like Leeds did this season with Costa). 

Biggest call is the manager. I can't make up my mind. I think I'd probably look elsewhere, but won't be gutted if Smith is given another chance. Hard to see what Terry is bringing though.  

9 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

McGinn will be at Newcastle next season. I think it's important to retain proven Championship players - Konsa, Targett, Elmo, Hourihane  (who I'd make captain). I think some others will cut it too - Guilbert, Nakamba, Wesley. Not seen anything from Samatta to convince me he'll be up for it. 

Hopefully the Grealish, Mings, Luiz and McGinn money, plus parachute payments, will give us some financial muscle. Unlike this season we should bring in 4-5 experienced Championship players, maybe a couple that won't cut it in the Prem (like Leeds did this season with Costa). 

Biggest call is the manager. I can't make up my mind. I think I'd probably look elsewhere, but won't be gutted if Smith is given another chance. Hard to see what Terry is bringing though.  

If these wage cap rules come in it doesnt matter how much we make

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He wasnt established but he could have got a move back to the Premier League to a team like Spurs, he had done more for Villa in the top tier than Adama did and he got a Premier League move that summer.

He could have, but it would have been detrimental to his progress. I can't say anything he's done the last 4 years have been done for anything other than Jack's own benefit. He stayed after promotion cause he got captaincy and a huge salary, along with guaranteed playing time. 

He's developed into a quality player, but lets not portray him as something he's not. If he moves this summer he's just another Gareth Barry. 

We do have some quality in the squad that will be fine in the championship, providing we add in the right areas. I’d keep: 

Heaton (would probably be one of the best keepers in the league) and Steer. My only concern with both is the injuries, so we’d need a third choice that’s content with not playing. 

Targett will be fine, he’s performed in the championship with Fulham before. I’d replace Taylor with a more effective attacking left back. Preferably someone better than Targett, but competition at the very least. 

Guilbert - keep, should improve with another year under his belt. Has pace.

Elmo - keep 

Konsa - keep

Mings - keep, it we can

Engles - keep, should be good in the championship

Hause - replace 

Hourihane - keep

McGinn - keep if we can, and I think we can 

Luiz - do everything we can to keep, but may well be gone. 

Nakamba - not sure on, could get better but looks bad. Replace with better ideally. 

Lansbury - sell

Grealish - gone 

El Ghazi - I would keep but as back up, we really need two quality wingers to start.

Trez - sell

Jota - keep for the squad

Wesley - keep

Davis - loan out

Samatta - no idea if this guy can cut in the champ, could be good, could be useless. I’d be looking for a new proven striker so we don’t have to rely on Wesley again.

Heaton

Guilbert  Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz/another 

McGinn                  Hourihane 

New winger                      New winger 

New striker/Wes

Not too much disruption, but does depend on whether we can keep our better players. A compete rebuild is just too much in the timeframe we have. 

2 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Making hourihane captain is crazy. I'll say it again but short memories. He was an impact player used for goals / set pieces even towards the end of our stay in EFL.

Great squad / impact player but need an upgrade for starting 11 if we are serious about automatic promotion

• Like 2

Â