Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

30 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Genuinely really looking forward to championship next year.

I've been disillusioned with the PL since long before our relegation. The top four push before being blown out the water by city and almost bankrupted just emphasised the pointlessness of it all. We'll never win it, even with sugar daddy owners, we will never be allowed to win it with FFP. Top level football really is set up to protect the status quo these days.

On top of all that, VAR has genuinely ruined football for me. I haven't celebrated a goal properly all year, waiting for some nonsense review before I can accept it. Totally ripped the emotion out of it.

While we would be angry at wrong decisions before that could always be accepted as human error, but to have obviously wrong decisions upheld after five minutes and ten camera angles just sends me into apoplectic rage.

I just want to watch my team play good entertaining football. Maybe win a title (playoff or championship feel just as good at the time) rather than a best case scenario of plodding along to a top six finish while sacrificing any cup runs time and again.

The fact we have that to look forward to in a league as relentless and competitive as the championship. Playing twice a week every week and without VAR is great. I'm looking forward to it

I said it before but it's just a shame being in EFL long term isn't financially sustainable and the prize for winning it is going back to the horror show that is the Premier League

Do you know think teams in the championship will look at us the same as the top 4 in PL .We are bigger, we can outspend them so is it a level playing field? I don't see the point of being excited to win the Championship if there is no interest in the prize - promotion to the PL.

The PL is tough and breaking the top 4 more so ( though Leicester are close to doing it again  and Wolves and Shef U have gotten close ) but as a club as big as us with 42,000 fans at home games I want to see us compete with the likes of Spurs , Everton etc rather than playing at Barnsley , Luton  clubs a third of a our size so we can be the Man city of the league and thrash them.Let's not forget in 3 years in the league we outspent everyone , we brought 3 strikers at a total cost of 50 mil from smaller teams.We were promoted after loaning a striker and paying 50k a week wages for him. I also don't recall us taking the cups too seriously , I'm sure we played weakened teams as we were concentrating on going up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again people base the championship on the last 2 months we were in it .For alot of it , it was just as shit as being in the PL we still lost  except it was against much smaller clubs it was shit.Drawing last night with Everton was crap but not as crap as drawing to QPR etc.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

By definition players who are too good for the championship do not sign for championship teams. 

You may get a player on deadline day who you perceive is too good for the championship but only because a PL team has not come in for them.

Unless you get a player who is happy to pick up mega bucks and I mean massively over what anyone in the PL is willing to pay him to play in a lower league, and then I would question his motive/desire. 

We will only get the best of the championship or else the will be in the PL. 

We have rich owners who if they are still serious will have us invest a solid portion of the money we get from selling Grealish, Mings, Trez, McGinn, Luiz or whoever else leaves. 

I'm not suggesting we sign a bunch of already established PL players on massive wages and huge fees. But the wages we can offer even without going crazy is still way more than players in most teams and leagues makes, way more. Good scouting helps you find players before they've made their big move and there are loads of quality players out there who will shine in the Championship. We may not have the Mendes connection but we are a big club with wealthy owners who if they can present an interesting project should be able to draw players.

We even managed to pull some quality players ourselves last time in the Championship by using the loan market. It shouldn't be the core of the squad obviously like last time but a couple smart loans goes a long way.

Last time we were down we had tons of money but mostly wasted it on average Championship crap, we need to be smarter with our money this time.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

And Che Adams 1 goal in 25 this season is the answer? Hogan actually has a better Championship scoring record

Erm why you referring to his premier  league record when im referring to his record in the championship? He is proven at championship level thats what we need for next season.

But lets stick with samatta who has 2 goals all season and had like 4 shots on target since January 

48 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I really don’t understand this. You remember what happened last time we were in the Championship? We bought a load of championship players, struggled at that level and then had to rebuild the entire team to stand a chance in the PL.

Why on earth would we spend good money on players like Adams and Gayle when they have performed worse in the PL then our existing strikers? We need to keep our best players and supplement them with other players, in key positions where we have struggled this year (right back, centre mid and wide forward), who have at least a chance of making the step up when we get promoted. We really hashed it up last time. We don’t want to make the same mistakes again!

Gayles performed worse than our strikers? Really ? 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Erm why you referring to his premier  league record when im referring to his record in the championship? He is proven at championship level thats what we need for next season.

But lets stick with samatta who has 2 goals all season and had like 4 shots on target since January 

He had 1 good season at Championship level and has less goals than Hogan in that league 

Far from proven

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He has 12 goals actually, 3 of those in the Champions league...

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I honestly think Samantha and Wesley will do just fine for us in the champ.

The critical areas we need to improve are wingers and midfield, for me.

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, MaVilla said:

I honestly think Samantha and Wesley will do just fine for us in the champ.

The critical areas we need to involve are wingers and midfield, for me.

Think so too, well Wesley might take a while since I have a suspicion he will miss a large part of the first half of the season.

But we have Davis as well who should be able to bully Championship CB's and chip in with the odd goals.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Gayles performed worse than our strikers? Really ? 

According to wiki he has 24 goals in 5 PL seasons including 3 in 17 this season. Wesley has 5 in 21 in his first PL season and is 6 years younger. I know which horse I’d back.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

According to wiki he has 24 goals in 5 PL seasons including 3 in 17 this season. Wesley has 5 in 21 in his first PL season and is 6 years younger. I know which horse I’d back.

He's come off the bench for most of those though.

I also think Gayle is suited (notice I didn't say proven) in the Championship. He caused us a heap of problems in the playoffs and I was glad when he got sent off in that first leg! Terrier.

Not denying Wesley won't cut it in the Championship but is he going to want to drop a division? 

• Like 2

Gayle's goals to minutes ratio in the premier isn't actually that bad, but then you have to ask yourself why he rarely gets a game, and I think it's probably because he's a Darren Bent type of striker, that's a striker that unless he's scoring a goal it's pointless playing him because it's pretty much like playing with ten men. That said I think he'd be an okay signing for the championship as you can get away with such players, providing the rest of your team is very decent, but in the premier league he'd have to be demoted to more of a squad player.

I certainly wouldn't want us to sign both him and Adams, would probably cost the best part of £30m and that would be £30m on two players we'd have to replace as starters if we were promoted. We need to sign as many players as possible that will not only get us out of the championship, but also have a good chance of keeping us in the premier league, if we do that then it will mean us not having to buy so many players upon promotion which in it's turn will allow us to spend more on quality rather than quantity.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, MCU said:

I also think Gayle is suited (notice I didn't say proven) in the Championship. He caused us a heap of problems in the playoffs and I was glad when he got sent off in that first leg! Terrier.

Not denying Wesley won't cut it in the Championship but is he going to want to drop a division? 

I would be amazed if Wesley is not our player next season. He hasn’t played for months and is likely still a bit away from full fitness. He also seems like a hard working player with a good attitude. We don’t need to sell him so why would we. He will be here.

I just don’t see the point in signing Gayle. He is nearly 30. He has proven he is not a PL player. He will want pretty big wages. He will have no sell on value and he also is a bit of a tool. We have been too short term for years. I know it hasn’t quite worked this season but we are on the right path. We need to be brave and stick with it. I am sure the future will be bright if we do. If we don’t, then we become a yo-yo club.

9 minutes ago, MCU said:

Fully up for signing Gayle in the championship - he would come and he would score a ton. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sne said:

When were we in the champions league 😂 his record elsewhere is irrelevent to now where he has generally been pants.

Just because you score a goal in champions league doesnt mean your good.

23 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

How many starts? And why havent you included his efl record? Thats the important facts no if we go down?

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had 1 good season at Championship level and has less goals than Hogan in that league 

Far from proven

He will be in a better side than blose in a lower league. I know id rather have him than samatta thays for sure

Just now, Demitri_C said:

When were we in the champions league 😂 his record elsewhere is irrelevent to now where he has generally been pants.

Just because you score a goal in champions league doesnt mean your good.

How many starts? And why havent you included his efl record? Thats the important facts no if we go down?

Then don't write all season as it's grossly misleading since he spent more than half of it at another club.

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

He only scored against that dud team Liverpool in the Champions League and got 3 in 6 for the worst team in the group🙄

What did he do against a half arsed liverpool in the league game?

Who cares what he did in champions league?? Its what he does at villa 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Then don't write all season as it's grossly misleading since he spent more than half of it at another club.

I wouldnt if we saw anything to get excited about.  He doesnt even look on wesleys level.

• Confused 1

Â