Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's interesting - the league are currently meeting to decide whether to upset Sky/BT or Amazon - it looks like from that tweet they'll go for Amazon.

If the 28th, 29th and 30th games go, then Amazon will lose half of their entire programme for the season - they'll be wanting a full refund on that - but Sky/BT might be quite happy about it which might help the league in the next round of rights negotiations. 

I thought they'd go the other way and that the streaming/subscription route was the future - so it's fascinating to see which way they'll go on this.

Ah, public health eh?

828E545C-D57E-423E-9105-FEAF43D9B754.thumb.jpeg.f40d8a5bb42befa9415ffcece57ccb00.jpeg

Sure Jeff will live eh 😂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe they're planning to do what everyone else says they should do and bringing it in house and streaming it themselves rather than through Amazon

The move towards this, whenever it comes, is what'll bring about loads of super league chat again. If it hasn't happened already by then.

Man Utd don't want to share the absolute minimum £1bn a year their global fan base will happily pay to watch their games. Definitely not Coventry or whoever else has stumbled up to the PL that year.

The infrastructure won't be there for the PL to even try it until 2023-24.

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Thought this was very relevant..

It appears this argument is now hitting the players too. Comments from the Burnley Chairman basically saying Prem players should find a new career if they refuse the jab. A lot apparently won't have it likely due to the alarming rise in the number of deaths and heart issues in atheletes & footballers after having had the jab the World over. All researchable on online for those who want balance. This bizarrely does not get covered in the report however.

CLICKY

QUOTE: Burnley owner Alan Pace reckons that footballers who choose not to get vaccinated should look for new jobs, after the Clarets’ game against Aston Villa was called off on Saturday.

Pace, who had been making his way to Villa Park on Saturday morning before the game was confirmed as being postponed by the Premier League a little over two hours before kick off, has been left frustrated this past week; Burnley’s game with Watford in the week was also called off.

Coupled with their recent meeting with Tottenham being called off because of inclement weather and a pitch that wasn’t fit for football in the snow, it’s left the Clarets with quite a backlog of games to fulfil.

Pace is not amused and believes that there is an obligation for footballers to be vaccinated if it is in the interests of everyone else.

READ: Premier League release lengthy statement after Villa v Burnley is called off

READ: Jack Grealish makes frank Villa admission after leaving for Man City

“It worries me for a number of different reasons but these are personal choices for people,” Pace told the Sun. “It can’t be, though, that you put everybody else at risk.

“If they choose not to get vaccinated, then they may have to choose a different career.

“Freedom to choose something different doesn’t mean you get the same rights and opportunities given to you if you choose to do something that’s not in the best interests of everyone else.”

He should STFU in the nicest possible way and maybe look at his own faith and it’s members who are less than 50% vaccinated, before calling for people to lose their jobs though democratic freedom of personal choice. Don’t wanna go off topic too far so for balance I wonder what covid has done for insurance premiums on players 

7 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Thought this was very relevant..

It appears this argument is now hitting the players too. Comments from the Burnley Chairman basically saying Prem players should find a new career if they refuse the jab. A lot apparently won't have it likely due to the alarming rise in the number of deaths and heart issues in atheletes & footballers after having had the jab the World over. All researchable on online for those who want balance. This bizarrely does not get covered in the report however.

CLICKY

QUOTE: Burnley owner Alan Pace reckons that footballers who choose not to get vaccinated should look for new jobs, after the Clarets’ game against Aston Villa was called off on Saturday.

Pace, who had been making his way to Villa Park on Saturday morning before the game was confirmed as being postponed by the Premier League a little over two hours before kick off, has been left frustrated this past week; Burnley’s game with Watford in the week was also called off.

Coupled with their recent meeting with Tottenham being called off because of inclement weather and a pitch that wasn’t fit for football in the snow, it’s left the Clarets with quite a backlog of games to fulfil.

Pace is not amused and believes that there is an obligation for footballers to be vaccinated if it is in the interests of everyone else.

READ: Premier League release lengthy statement after Villa v Burnley is called off

READ: Jack Grealish makes frank Villa admission after leaving for Man City

“It worries me for a number of different reasons but these are personal choices for people,” Pace told the Sun. “It can’t be, though, that you put everybody else at risk.

“If they choose not to get vaccinated, then they may have to choose a different career.

“Freedom to choose something different doesn’t mean you get the same rights and opportunities given to you if you choose to do something that’s not in the best interests of everyone else.”

Is he that desperate for his team to get a hiding?

7 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

A lot apparently won't have it likely due to the alarming rise in the number of deaths and heart issues in atheletes & footballers after having had the jab the World over. All researchable on online for those who want balance. This bizarrely does not get covered in the report however.

I think you've spelt sensibly wrongly here.

If there are athletes refusing the jab on the basis of what are the sketchiest nonsense claims fromm the outer reaches of the internet, debunked by pretty much every sensible scientific study, then footballers are even more worryingly dim than a lot of people suspect.

On FFP, we had money to spend in the summer before we sold Grealish, so there's no reason to think we don't still have that money now and a bot more besides as we didn't spend everything we received for Jack. The one thing that might restrict our spending is the degree to which the owners will want to focus their input on the ground redevelopment versus the squad.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

A lot apparently won't have it likely due to the alarming rise in the number of deaths and heart issues in atheletes & footballers after having had the jab the World over. All researchable on online for those who want balance. This bizarrely does not get covered in the report however.

Name one

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

FIFA has been recording this for years. The data is readily available as you say. This year's report is of course not availble yet but, here is an extract from a piece in The Irish Times last week with a quote from an actual doctor who was the lead author of a study published last December in the British Journal of Sports Medicine combined information from the Fifa registry combined with data from media monitoring for the years 2014-18.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-don-t-make-players-pawns-in-sad-and-bitter-covid-culture-war-1.4753604

Referring to the data he and his team had collected, he pointed out that even if the Facebook allegations about the number of incidents this year were to be accepted at face value, and the tally of cases extrapolated to cover the entire year of 2021: “there would still be fewer heart emergencies in football than in the pre-Corona year of 2018. The claim that this dynamic exists cannot be derived from our data or other international registry studies. There are no more deaths among footballers than before the Covid-19 pandemic.”

But yeah, you go on spreading completely unsubstantiated bollocks.

That's a matter of opinion though i will not be drawn into posting anything further as clearly many on here are just looking for a target to shout at.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

That's a matter of opinion though i will not be drawn into posting anything further as clearly many on here are just looking for a target to shout at.

Yes, the opinion of an expert on the matter who has investigated the topic and run the data (at least had some PhD students run the data for him) or that of Trevor Sinclair, who Talksport cut off before he got too far into unsubstantiated bullshit (he still went and posted on twitter). I know the opinion I'm going to listen to.

And I'm not shouting at you. I'm just calling out what I believe to be incorrect. If you've got info to the contrary (links to news articles, research papers etc.), I will be happy to discuss this privately, away from the FFP thread.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

It also gives a big advantage to teams who have already had cancellations, including us.

You can't tell me that us, Man Utd and Spurs couldn't have put out 13 players plus a keeper, including U21 players.

In a way I'm glad they've but rules in place for it now. But it should have been established after project restart, not halfway through this season

• Like 2

Â