• El Ghazi
    • Samatta
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Hourihane (Elmohamady 68)
    • Davis (Samatta 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/20 at 23:59

Proud of everyone. I was fearing the worst all week and when they went 2 up I was praying we'd just keep the score down and not let it get out of hand. Great work from El Ghazi and Samagoal gets us that goal before half time we genuinely give it a good go in the second. Don't think any of us will sit here and say we deserved the win as such because they still peppered us but we didn't roll over and kept going right until the end. That corner at the death was the moment for us, if it goes in then well who knows. It's disappointing we lose to a corner that wasn't a corner but even still, the defending for that goal was poor and has to be better. 

We just have to hope now these boys take belief from this for our remaining league games. It's gonna be a scrap and today shown we can fight and get stuck in. 

I'm still yet to see this club win a trophy in my lifetime, it just unfortunately wasn't meant to be today. Up the Villa. 

• Thanks 1

Biggest failing was playing the long ball constantly to players who aren't really equipped to win it, though some of that has to do with the frequent absence of close support for the player with the ball. Need a big physical presence in midfield to contest knockdowns and second balls if we're going to keep hoofing, but we don't have one at all.

• Like 3

Not disheartened at all. Expected absolutely nothing and in the end we were an inch away from taking it to extra-time. Play like that for the rest of the season and we'll be fine. Whether we will or not is another matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

God there are some glass half empty people here. Yes we were under the cosh for large periods, but we didnt give up. We should have defended the incorrect corner better and if it wasn't for the post we could have got extra time.

Plenty of fight shown today and I will be much more disappointed if they don't show that same fight in the league.

I haven’t read through the whole thread but I haven’t seen any “glass half empty” comments”. Are you sure?

Mostly people expressing pride in how we competed.

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I honestly believed that Guilbert was the worst player on the pitch. He offers very little at either end. I agree with the others though. Particularly second half. City are just too good unfortunately 

Really? He kept Sterling completely in his pocket. Compare to how Foden pulled us apart on the other side. 

• Like 1

Same boring teams getting the same boring wins.

Best league in the world = most predictable.

We put in a much better performance but the end result was the same.

Depressing.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not totally fair. The ref only gifted them a corner. We gifted them the goal by failing to defend it competently.

You're right, but no corner, no goal. 

I'm not saying we deserved to win it, but the constant commentator bias against us wears me down 😡

Were it the other way around, you can bet the commentators intro would be 'Aston villa cheat Manchester City out of the carabao Cup.' 

Edited by richp999

We must have watched a different game.

To me it felt like a training game for City. Them playing in 1st gear.

Felt like the whole game was played in our half. We barely had any attempts and just kicked the ball away wherever we got hold of it.

Proud of the team and fans.

We needed all the big moments to go our way and unfortunately for us they didn't today.

Onwards to the league where we need to give our full support to try and help keep us in the premier league.

UTV.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

You wouldn't know who Man City played if you hadn't watched the game. So much creaming from the Sky crew over Man City, haven't mentioned Villa nearly had it.

I think Rednapp has wet his trousers. Wasn't even that good from City if you ask the Villa fans.

• Like 2

Weren't we supposed to be lambs to the slaughter and lose by a cricket score? Undone by dodgy officials for a corner that should never have been and so easily could have had an equaliser with a couple of minutes to go. 

Our superb and brave performance must be devestating for some of the lads on here. 

Still I expect there will still be trolling of the most sad and frankly embarrassing kind. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

Was this the best possible result for us today?

We  move on with a feeling that "we can do it" having battled well against a brilliant squad. We didn't deserve to win, and an undeserved win could have led to a possibly damaging Cup win hangover.

Let's bank the self respect that a number of our players regained today, and take a bit of anger (over their second goal) and plenty of attitude into the last games of the season.

• Like 3

Really really hope that isn't a serious injury for Grealish. Terrible decision for the corner. Should've defended it better, we cant keep giving away sloppy set piece goals. Nakamba should've been sent off and Trezeguet is not a footballer. 

Engels and Mings very assured at the back. Need to find a way to get Samara some service and get Davies in the lineup too.  Loved the effort and commitment from the lads.  

Another trophy opportunity gone. 24 years. We have to channel this effort and commitment into survival. 

Edited by PaddytheVillan

Â