• El Ghazi
    • Samatta
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Hourihane (Elmohamady 68)
    • Davis (Samatta 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/20 at 23:59

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You wouldn't know who Man City played if you hadn't watched the game. So much creaming from the Sky crew over Man City, haven't mentioned Villa nearly had it.

I think Rednapp has wet his trousers. Wasn't even that good from City if you ask the Villa fans.

They didn’t even notice Davis had come on and we’re criticising Samatta. Pathetic rich club loving knobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

They have probably got a £1bn squad.....bit of perspective

that they have illegally, i don't see how they can get kicked out of the champs league and get fined and not be forced to sell off some of their players, they will probably appeal and get it reduced to one season outside of the champs league and normal service will resume.

• Like 1

A club which finished 5th in the Championship last seas did well against the current champions of England.

We nearly got the second, but I can't complain about the result, they controlled the midfield for 90 mins and we never really threatened over the 90.

It's a real shame, because these occasions don't come along often, but we can hold our heads up high.

Now, we have to beat the drop.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It didn't look like they worked too hard for their victory to me. Apart from a few long balls towards the end.

Maybe you should watch the match stats

They had 1 more shot on target than us. And 1 of their shots on target came from a corner which was a goal kick. 

Explain to me what satisfaction you get from being so negative? You can't enjoy anything

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We competed and showed some fight, much more so than I expected.  

Unfortunately for those saying  ‘play like that and we’ll be all right for the rest of the season’ - this has been used numerous times and is generally followed up with shite. See defeats at Bournemouth and Southampton after playing half decent in the previous games.  

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That wasn’t a foul and definitely not a card

It obviously was a foul and a yellow card was not unreasonable, although on a different day, a different ref might have let it go and given a final warning.

Seems to me like Smith couldn't win for some people today. Play well, even win it, and it's 'why can't we do this in the league', if we'd have got battered... It would've been Smith out and it's not a surprise. Absolutely **** pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Bollox, we were dire.

Lost to a bad corner decision?  Rubbish.  Regardless of the poor decision, guilberts defensive work was poor, and the decision to put him on Rodri was dire.

I put this defeat down to, as always, poor defensive coaching.

I truly believe DS needs to be releived of his duties, as he clearly does not understand how the top flight works

• Confused 2

Well, they definitely showed me. There was no shame in that. The corner leading to 2-0 was a typical big team decision. We should have defended the following corner properly. City were rocking at the end... F'ing an inch away from making it 2-2. 

IF we play every single game like that until the end of the season we won't be relegated. But inconsistency is our bloody curse 

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not a troll. I just disagree with it being a good performance. Yeah we fought well, but that just won't cut it for me. That's the minimum expected. I didn't see any tactics or gameplan at all.

All we did when winning the ball back was aimlessly hoofing it away. Really Bruce esque

Is blocking and defending in your own half for the entire game really regarded as a good performance? Really?

Their keeper barely had any saves to make and we barely had the ball.

Perhaps when our team is bankrolled by dodgy oil money, is full of players that are earning more than our entire team combined and could probably walk into most, if not all teams in the premier league.

Until then, I’ll support my team when they try, when they put some effort in to go against the odd and keep trying to the final effort. Even if they concede 22 shots, only 4 were on target and villa had 3 on target, but will that ever be good enough for some fans? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Bollox, we were dire.

Lost to a bad corner decision?  Rubbish.  Regardless of the poor decision, guilberts defensive work was poor, and the decision to put him on Rodri was dire.

I put this defeat down to, as always, poor defensive coaching.

I truly believe DS needs to be releived of his duties, as he clearly does not understand how the top flight works

So for Smith to have done ok today, we should have kept a clean sheet against Man City and won the cup as a minimum? Otherwise Smith out? 

Knackers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

So for Smith to have done ok today, we should have kept a clean sheet against Man City and won the cup as a minimum? Otherwise Smith out? 

Knackers.

Ok let's celebrate damage limitation tactics then.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

A lot to be proud of. Only lost due to a dodgy corner decision.

The corner decision was bad, the decision to leave somebody unmarked in the box and not put a challenge in was worse

• Like 2

I thought the performance was a spirited one and to keep the scoreline down against such a highly talented team, was commendable.

However, Their first goal Targett was in his customary dream world, not tracking foden or staying close and subsequently allowing him to cross.......The second was not a corner, but despite that, Mings and Engels were too close to the front post, ball watching and Guilbert ended up in a mismatch with Rodrigo.

Man City are a great side, but we still conceded our customary 2 goals every game.....we have to be more miserly in the last 11 games.

I thought Samatta, looks the business and his goal was more fitting to have won the game...would like to see him play with Davis as a 2

In conclusion, I thought the 2 full backs were poor and Man city focused on the back post with their cross field balls.....we have been weak there all season.

but such fine margins could easily have been 2-2...despite their domination of the ball.

I hope we can now gain belief and find the points to stop up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, they did.

So they did - I sent them a tweet complaining that they'd never talk about it etc etc (and with a bit more moaning) 

So I take full credit for inspiring the talking point 😉

But by the way, I don't think it's acceptable to say, 'well we know it's not a corner, but that doesnt matter, you have to defend it properly' 

Yes we do need to defend it properly, but that's hardly the point. 

Surley that's what var is for.. If the officials can't tell, then check the var, that's what it should be for. 

Edited by richp999
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I thought the performance was a spirited one and to keep the scoreline down against such a highly talented team, was commendable.

However, Their first goal Targett was in his customary dream world, not tracking foden or staying close and subsequently allowing him to cross.......The second was not a corner, but despite that, Mings and Engels were too close to the front post, ball watching and Guilbert ended up in a mismatch with Rodrigo.

Man City are a great side, but we still conceded our customary 2 goals every game.....we have to be more miserly in the last 11 games.

I thought Samatta, looks the business and his goal was more fitting to have won the game...would like to see him play with Davis as a 2

In conclusion, I thought the 2 full backs were poor and Man city focused on the back post with their cross field balls.....we have been weak there all season.

but such fine margins could easily have been 2-2.

I hope we can now gain belief and find the points to stop up.

I prefer Taylor to Targett all day long

Targett is better at going forward but he is so slow and unaware it’s frightening 

Â