• El Ghazi
    • Samatta
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Hourihane (Elmohamady 68)
    • Davis (Samatta 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/20 at 23:59

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We shouldn't have had the need to clear the corner. 

Right it was the wrong decision. But bad decisions are made in every game. They didnt get a dodgy penalty, they got a corner. Guilbert was flat footed and marking a player much taller than him. The reason for that goal was because of shit marking. Pissing and whining about the corner being given is pathetic.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

its tricky.....I think most fans are highly relieved we never got a hammering, so naturally gain solace from that.

You are being practical and analytical......and despite, not many wanting to listen, you are right.....poor marking......so all the work we did in frustrating them was washed away, once again, by poor defending.

Its such a shame, that we allow such basic errors to mar our efforts.

I would suspect, most fans will be relieved, we didn't get a hammering and that will mask over the stupid goals we gave away.....those goals might just as well have been Birmingham city......hardly world class finishes to match a world class team.

In fact our goal was better quality.

Agreed, i think our goal was much better than either of theirs, but even that relied upon a poor mistake from Stones.

Overall, we were 2nd best to a City team that barely got into 1st hear.  We were poor throughout, and let them play.  I disagree wholeheatedly with anyone who says we fought today, as i felt we were going through the motions.  A few players aside, i saw little effort, and little guile, and never felt a villa player was every going to bust a gut to make a difference.

Whilst we were not bad, we were a long way from what we produced earlier in the season, and never looked like being anything more than an also- ran

It was bad defending, don't disagree. But to beat a team like Man City, you have to have to have luck and a strong officiating team. We didn't get any of that today and yet there's lot of slagging off of our players. I just think it's uneceasary, when if we got all the ingredients you need to beat man city, we could have done just that.

12 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Blaming VAR is pathetic.  DS and the coaching staff, players, combined resulted in an uninspired performance which left us with little to no attacking threat/intent.

Let us not be blind here, in so much as we were not as bad as against Southampton, City were never out of 1st gear.  It was not a good performance in so much as City didnt need to play to beat us, we were poor.

I think that is a bit harsh, Pep said he wanted to score more goals.....we frustrated them, better than what we have in recent weeks.....and at the end, they wanted the whistle.

There is much work to do on this team and a fit Davis and McGinn would help.......But the defensive frailties, cannot be dismissed as just an irritation or an inconvenience.....its a serious issue, we need to fix.

Any discerning fan should be able to see the poor back post defending from the full backs.....if they choose to ignore it, not much you can do.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Nope, VAR is there for major game changing decisions like goals, red cards, penalties, etc.  A dodgy corner, from which villa failed to compeye, as they have done season long, is not a decision for VAR.  Basic defending, and i emphasise BASIC would have prevented that 2nd goal, nothing to do with VAR.

It’s why VAR    IS utterly shit.

cricket absolutely destroyed VAR with DRS and even that has flaws.

it’s like saying the third umpire doesn’t check for boundaries partially or wholly stopped by fielders because it isn’t a key decision. 

the process has been rolled out by idiots, I could do a better job. 

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It was bad defending, don't disagree. But to beat a team like Man City, you have to have to have luck and a strong officiating team. We didn't get any of that today and yet there's lot of slagging off of our players. I just think it's uneceasary, when if we got all the ingredients you need to beat man city, we could have done just that.

I don't think there is a slagging off of the players.....folk are just pointing out the basic's of poor defending.

I never expected a 1 goal deficit, so it was better than I thought......but the game itself, still showed up the same shortfalls, you can't simply ignore them, when they have been with us all season......The fact it was Man city, is misleading, because it was the same poor defending.

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Right it was the wrong decision. But bad decisions are made in every game. They didnt get a dodgy penalty, they got a corner. Guilbert was flat footed and marking a player much taller than him. The reason for that goal was because of shit marking. Pissing and whining about the corner being given is pathetic.

I'm sorry, but for that corner, Mings and Engels, arguably our 2 best players in the air, were at least 10 yards away from ant City player.

I am sorry, but when your 2 best headerers arent marking anyone and guilbert is left marking a player 6 inches taller and regarded as good in the air, then the fault sits with the coaching team. Poor decision to have s fullback marking one of the best headerers of the ball when your 2 cbs are not marking anyone.  Complete joke.

DS is too naieve and too slow to pick these things up.  And when the inevitable happens and we go down, i place no blame on the players, i blame the coaching staff for being unable to reach players to effectively defend but also in sticking dogmatically to a style of play that the players are clearly incapable of implementing.

100% the players are hood enough, and 100 % the coaches are not

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It was a mismatch and Mings or Engels should have picked up Rodrigo.

Just now, TRO said:

I don't think there is a slagging off of the players.....folk are just pointing out the basic's of poor defending.

I never expected a 1 goal deficit, so it was better than I thought......but the game itself, still showed up the same shortfalls, you can't simply ignore them, when they have been with us all season......The fact it was Man city, is misleading, because it was the same poor defending.

I think some of the criticism is very over the top after the way the game went. We had a really bad spell in the first half where we defended badly and gave away chances with the same poor defending, agreed. The class of city really exploited that cross field ball. 

For the first 30 minutes of the second half, and I even said to my old man, I can't think of a chance city have had. I though we defended really strongly. It was only when we opened up looking for the equaliser did they create. Suggests to me that whatever Dean said at half time, we took it in and defended alot better. Just some not willing to give ant credit when it's due 

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I'm sorry, but for that corner, Mings and Engels, arguably our 2 best players in the air, were at least 10 yards away from ant City player.

I am sorry, but when your 2 best headerers arent marking anyone and guilbert is left marking a player 6 inches taller and regarded as good in the air, then the fault sits with the coaching team. Poor decision to have s fullback marking one of the best headerers of the ball when your 2 cbs are not marking anyone.  Complete joke.

DS is too naieve and too slow to pick these things up.  And when the inevitable happens and we go down, i place no blame on the players, i blame the coaching staff for being unable to reach players to effectively defend but also in sticking dogmatically to a style of play that the players are clearly incapable of implementing.

100% the players are hood enough, and 100 % the coaches are not

The problem is.....it happens too many times.

you play Man city and their quality distracts from our consistent errors.....those same errors could have been against anybody, that's the worry.

some of their better play, we dealt with quite well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It obviously was a foul and a yellow card was not unreasonable, although on a different day, a different ref might have let it go and given a final warning.

It obviously was? Sorry, it obviously wasn’t!

It has no impact on anything in the overall game so this purely an opinion but I didn’t think it was a foul and watching the replay, even in today’s soft standards, I didn’t think it was a foul.  Just wasn’t a foul.

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think some of the criticism is very over the top after the way the game went. We had a really bad spell in the first half where we defended badly and gave away chances with the same poor defending, agreed. The class of city really exploited that cross field ball. 

For the first 30 minutes of the second half, and I even said to my old man, I can't think of a chance city have had. I though we defended really strongly. It was only when we opened up looking for the equaliser did they create. Suggests to me that whatever Dean said at half time, we took it in and defended alot better. Just some not willing to give ant credit when it's due 

I thought the performance, was much more spirited and Samatta, looks a decent player to me and Keinan came on and looked a player too.....but personally, I would sooner stay up.

If some folk think we went up too soon....that final certainly come too soon, too.

We have defensive issues we must address to have any notion of progression......but I thought we made a decent account of ourselves too,in other ways.....1 goal deficit is no shame against them.

Just now, TRO said:

I thought the performance, was much more spirited and Samatta, looks a decent player to me and Keinan came on and looked a player too.....but personally, I would sooner stay up.

If some folk think we went up too soon....that final certainly come too soon, too.

We have defensive issues we must address to have any notion of progression......but I thought we made a decent account of ourselves too,in other ways.....1 goal deficit is no shame against them.

100%. I said to my old man that we need to replicate that fight in the league and if we do I think we can stay up. We may have shown some defensive weakness we have before, but it definitely looked better.

I thought nakambas tackle was a bit naughty, but I bloody loved it because it's unlike us. Same with Elmo's. The first half against city, we barely got near them. Today we rattled them and so nearly got a result. I think we can see green shoots. But it has to be taken over to the prem league. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Was this the best possible result for us today?

We  move on with a feeling that "we can do it" having battled well against a brilliant squad. We didn't deserve to win, and an undeserved win could have led to a possibly damaging Cup win hangover.

Let's bank the self respect that a number of our players regained today, and take a bit of anger (over their second goal) and plenty of attitude into the last games of the season.

If we had of won 2-1 with a disputed corner...... we would never have heard the last of it from the media.

but because its us, its just dismissed as one of life's little discrepancies.

That's whats vexing.

Edited by TRO

Defensively we looked a little tighter with the four at the back.

Engels was good today and pity his header hit the bar.

Guilbert was also in fine form and looked after Sterling pretty well and loved how he tried to rattle him, seemed to work too.

Nakamba was my MOTM, his energy and reading of the game helped us get back into the match and make a contest of it second half.

Elmo also pretty decent, I'd play him for the run-in until McGinn is back.

Grealish didn't seem to show up today apart from one or two moments, pity.

Samatta lots of energy and a great finish. If we can get the ball to him more often you can see defenders are worried about him as he is direct.

Davis looked decent too when he came on.

I hope this a performance to build upon and we don't really need to be scared of anyone from here to he end of the season. 

• Like 1

Â