• El Ghazi
    • Samatta
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Hourihane (Elmohamady 68)
    • Davis (Samatta 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/20 at 23:59

19 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Mings on their most dangerous player all day long. Madness 

One could argue it would be madness to limit your best defender to marking one player, when he could be marking the most dangerous zone instead. 

I’m not saying zonal marking is always better, just to be clear. But let’s not pretend it’s a no-brainer.

41 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

It’s why VAR    IS utterly shit.

cricket absolutely destroyed VAR with DRS and even that has flaws.

it’s like saying the third umpire doesn’t check for boundaries partially or wholly stopped by fielders because it isn’t a key decision. 

the process has been rolled out by idiots, I could do a better job. 

You can't have it both ways mate.

This was NOT a VAR call, so you can't say VAR is shit because they didn't review a dodgy corner.

I take you don't like VAR (and neither do I in this shape and form) so why the heck would you want VAR to check yet another thing like a corner.

This shit decision was nothing to do with VAR, if anything it should play to support its even bigger presence in the game.

6 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

One could argue it would be madness to limit your best defender to marking one player, when he could be marking the most dangerous zone instead. 

I’m not saying zonal marking is always better, just to be clear. But let’s not pretend it’s a no-brainer.

There is every chance we'd have lost by even more with man to man marking, but we'll never know!

Just now, Mjvilla said:

It's the simplicity in getting this decision right. We could all see it was a goal kick. It would waste no time in the VAR saying to the ref through a microphone in his ear, that's a goal kick. Where's the harm? We can go back and spend 5 minutes seeing if a toe hair is offside but not something as simple as this. The remit of VAR surely should be to make sure goals aren't scored in these sort of circumstances. This is what we want VAR for, not 1mm offsides. That's how I see it anyway.

You are correct! 100%!!!

But we can't say VAR is shit for what happened today. Refs are shit and FA is shit for not allowing VAR to review this.

VAR could have fixed this. At least today.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Given we have conceded the most goals in the PL this season, I’d say what we have been doing needs to go in the bin

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Says it all about fans like you. To disregard stats.

Fans like me , you have no idea what my history  as a supporter of the club is or any other associations with it that I might have, what I do know is that statistics can prove anything you want them to if it backs your own pathetic comments. 

I don't understand why some fan blame Gulibert?

the reason? - he is gift goal 2nd... it is crazy to blame him? as he is man marked tall than him and header goal by Rodrigo? I blame for him for this goal? NO! I blame ref and linesman as this is will never happen goal if it is given right call, yet we should defend corner better; on my tactical analyze, we should put man far post defend Gulibert or Targett will good job in this roles rather zonal man marked (Rodrigo) that Smith and coach fault not Gulibert.

Be fair he is pocket and man mark Sterling and turn him boil point to explosive and got booked for his temper on Gulibert, which he should sent off for his behaviour, he is my 3rd top List MOTM after Ties both Engels and Mings than Gulibert.

Targett has load big "Defensive" mistake than Gulibert as he fail closed down him most of time that why Foden got free rein and threat all down our left side.  Some fan forget about his defensive cos his attack is better compare to Gulibert? it is shortsighted ! Gulibert try attack right and overlap and no one pass to him, that why he quiet attack and his crossing normal hit and miss (most miss) he can devilery lethal cross as Targett on his good day as all he need practice cross past first man.

on 1st goal is parity fault as El Ghazi don't help him out as Elmo help Gulibert to double man Sterling - Gulibert manage shut him before Elmo come aided to him if he slow Sterling and Elmo come help force Sterling pass to other player to organise defend better and tight for man city which failed penerate us, when they target our left side our defensive and orgainse is cock up by Targett, I am understand why people called Taylor to back to left back due defend reason but Targett is more important in offensive phase which our offensive phase under Taylor is far worse as it lack creative that reason we rely Targett to attack our left side as no left winger better than Grealish  - matter fact we don't got premiership level even low level premiership winger that why we rely Grealish!! 

let me explain deep why Targett should blame more that Gulibert - Foden assist to first goal cos he got space to cross in and more time to kick, and more time to accuracy to kick as Targett was bit slow to closed him down as seem like he don't want step in and fail tackle or fail to have win ball and foden will more space and El ghazi was close to him before he running to space and he allowed him and jog to centre to cover when there already cover by other players, why he don't aid to support Targett. 

El Ghazi did it many time in past, that why i don't like him when our defensive phase but his offensive phase is most time good compare to Hassan, but Hassan is better track back and defensive phase that El Ghazi yet Hassan offensive phase is poor excute compare to El Ghazi.

That reason El Ghazi and Targett is culprit in our left side when defensive phase! 

Smith is did great job but small part which he could better, but 2-1 is decent result be fair on him and he is still right man job but his transfer is unprosperous beside Heaton and Reina, Samatta, Mings, Engels - but I suspect it is not his actually work it is Suso.  

only one i am not happy with smith was sub samatta when i think should try Davis and him play 2 to long ball to release our under pressure and give midfield to move up field to pressure them from up to down again to make man city force them to build up to down. 

our midfield not good enough... hurry up Mcginn to partner with luis and Grealish free roles in 4-5-1 (4-3-3) 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Given we have conceded the most goals in the PL this season, I’d say what we have been doing needs to go in the bin

That might be true, but I (or you, really) was specifically talking about Mings’ role on defensive corners. I can’t possibly say with any confidence we’d concede fewer goals with Mings did man-to-man (insert Kenneth Williams gif here) instead of zonal. All I said was that it’s too easy to call zonal marking ‘madness’ when there are valid arguments to be made in favour of it. 

We can definitely hold our heads high tonight. The best team did win, but we made them work right to the very end and but for a bad call from the linesman and the late header who knows what may have happened. 

Can't fault a single player, Trez possibly he just didn't settle into it and Targett struggled to cope with Foden (who was the standout player on the pitch) but no real negatives for me tonight. We fought hard, we worked our socks off, we defended for long periods against a class outfit, we tried to press in the second half to change the impetus of the game, we even left our foot in a couple of times - very unlike us, we literally gave 110% and that's all I asked for and so did many others. 

Thought Nakamba was our MOTM, really grew into the game second half and I thought Luiz wasn't too shabby either. Samatta took his goal really well and looks a player. 

Hopefully we can gain confidence from our performance and take it into the league matches because if we do we will have no worries staying up.

Final word. The fans.

Absolutely class all game, even at the end it was all claret n blue noise. I think our club and fans deserved this and it would have meant a lot more to us, but our time will come again! 💙💜

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, smg said:

Fans like me , you have no idea what my history  as a supporter of the club is or any other associations with it that I might have, what I do know is that statistics can prove anything you want them to if it backs your own pathetic comments. 

Match facts don't lie.

If the opposition have got most of the ball. Most of the shots. Most of the corners they deserve to win.

To put it simply. We fought well but ultimately didn't do much on the ball. We got nothing and deserved nothing. IMO.

Just back. I think that is probably the maximum we could hope to expect when you compare the squads. Obviously they are way better but we competed and stayed in the game. No luck with either goal. I was the stratosphere but could see it was a goal kick for their goal, haven’t seen it back yet. How the officials didn’t see it I’ve no idea.

Quite a few positive performances. Great finish by Samatta. Midfield worked hard, lots of blocks by the defence. I’ve seen us lose a few times at Wembley but this is by far the best loss if that makes sense and I hope the players can feel the positives going into the last 11 games.

Funny moment at half time when they picked 2 ‘mega fans’ to have a halftime shoot out and the ‘Man City fan’ representative announced he was actually a Crystal Palace fan that had got a ticket in their end! 

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We were 2nd best, but we all knew that was going to be the case going into the game and we avoided a Watford-esque humiliation which was my fear going into it.

But to be denied an equaliser at the end of the game by a great save and the angle that it hit the post and to concede earlier from a corner that shouldn't have been given is still **** gutting. Especially when winning this cup would mean so much to us and means so little to a large portion of them.

Credit to the those in the claret & blue end for representing the club so well. 

Now back to the reality of a relegation battle. I don't know what is going to happen but fear the worst. We've got to give ourselves the best chance by eliminating the lifeless performances like Watford & Southampton away. Up the Villa.  

On 16/02/2020 at 16:56, Okonokos said:

Referee's and VAR cannot be that incompetent. I'm becoming more and more convinced they are corrupt from top to bottom.

I said this after the Tottenham game. I think it is even more apt after today. Yet more evidence. What an absolute disgrace.

Great performance from the team though. They must feel so gutted to have lost to a goal which so obviously shouldn't have stood. I'm still fuming.

Â