• El Ghazi
    • Samatta
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Hourihane (Elmohamady 68)
    • Davis (Samatta 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/20 at 23:59

Just now, KHV said:

I prefer Taylor to Targett all day long

Targett is better at going forward but he is so slow and unaware it’s frightening 

I thought defensively he had a howler...and the manager even made reference to his error, so it never went unnoticed.....too slow in his thinking for me, defensively.

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I prefer Taylor to Targett all day long

Targett is better at going forward but he is so slow and unaware it’s frightening 

I think its like who do you like most, Fred West or Jack the ripper?

Just now, TRO said:

I thought defensively he had a howler...and the manager even made reference to his error, so it never went unnoticed.....too slow in his thinking for me, defensively.

Watford set the alarm bells off for me. Constant balls over the top of him and he was nowhere to be seen

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think its like who do you like most, Fred West or Jack the ripper?

Jack the Ripper all day long, he can’t be any uglier than Fred 🤣

• Haha 1

For the people saying the second goal was due to the linesman having a shocker. When Rodri scored almost the exact same goal in the second half, was that the linesman fault too? Or was it because of shit marking yet again?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, romavillan said:

So for Smith to have done ok today, we should have kept a clean sheet against Man City and won the cup as a minimum? Otherwise Smith out? 

Knackers.

That isn't even close to what i said, but if you want to invent a narrative to support your baseless opinion go right ahead

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Watford set the alarm bells off for me. Constant balls over the top of him and he was nowhere to be seen

it was the same against Liverpool ......back post ball not defended properly.....we are terrible on the back post defending cross field balls.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

For the people saying the second goal was due to the linesman having a shocker. When Rodri scored almost the exact same goal in the second half, was that the linesman fault too? Or was it because of shit marking yet again?

But he didn't score. He did score from one that shouldn't have been a corner.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, KHV said:

It’s because they push up too much and lack the pace to get back IMO

They lose their man too easily, its about positional awareness.....Man city are a team with runners who sychronise with the cross majestically.......the full back has to be acutely aware of the run and be first....but they are too slow in spotting danger.

The other thing is.....if you push up, you have to be able to win the ball in turn overs and break up the oppositions play, our skill at that, is patchy, that's where we miss McGinn.....otherwise it renders you wide open for the counter.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It didn't look like they worked too hard for their victory to me. Apart from a few long balls towards the end.

Maybe you should watch the match stats

Stats are bolloxs perhaps you should watch the game 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richp999 said:

So they did - I sent them a tweet complaining that they'd never talk about it etc etc (and with a bit more moaning) 

So I take full credit for inspiring the talking point 😉

But by the way, I don't think it's acceptable to say, 'well we know it's not a corner, but that doesnt matter, you have to defend it properly' 

Yes we do need to defend it properly, but that's hardly the point. 

Surley that's what var is for.. If the officials can't tell, then check the var, that's what it should be for. 

Nope, VAR is there for major game changing decisions like goals, red cards, penalties, etc.  A dodgy corner, from which villa failed to compeye, as they have done season long, is not a decision for VAR.  Basic defending, and i emphasise BASIC would have prevented that 2nd goal, nothing to do with VAR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

But he didn't score. He did score from one that shouldn't have been a corner.

And if we'd cleared that first corner, no-one would have mentioned the bad decision again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

its tricky.....I think most fans are highly relieved we never got a hammering, so naturally gain solace from that.

You are being practical and analytical......and despite, not many wanting to listen, you are right.....poor marking......so all the work we did in frustrating them was washed away, once again, by poor defending.

Its such a shame, that we allow such basic errors to mar our efforts.

I would suspect, most fans will be relieved, we didn't get a hammering and that will mask over the stupid goals we gave away.....those goals might just as well have been Birmingham city......hardly world class finishes to match a world class team.

In fact our goal was better quality.

• Thanks 1

Blaming VAR is pathetic.  DS and the coaching staff, players, combined resulted in an uninspired performance which left us with little to no attacking threat/intent.

Let us not be blind here, in so much as we were not as bad as against Southampton, City were never out of 1st gear.  It was not a good performance in so much as City didnt need to play to beat us, we were poor.

Â