Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I didn't think he struggled, but I think he gassed second half and they bought him off at the right time.

That's my opinion and if you disagree, I likely don't give much of a ****. 

Agreed, he looked decent, not at all out of place, always willing to get forward. Needs to cover more ground and be more physical but thought he did well.

Edited by VillanousOne

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I didn't think he struggled, but I think he gassed second half and they bought him off at the right time.

Totally agree. To someone who had never watched football before he wouldn't have stood out as someone making their first ever start at this level.

He's 17! Didn't look scared or intimidated at all. I remember being 17 and being scared to put petrol in the car.

• Haha 2

He looked a bit lost today, however it will do him a world of good.

Towards the end he started stepping across or getting involved in the tackle, before that he looked like a 17 year old playing men’s football.

Hope to see him more, he’s currently tall and gangly. If he fulfill anywhere near his potential and fills out he’s going to be a unit. 

9 hours ago, Mantis said:

Honestly I thought he looked lost in midfield for large parts of the game.

BUT

He's literally 17 and was completely thrown into it under difficult circumstances, and did also show flashes of brilliance, so he gets nothing but praise from me.

This. It was great that he got game time, saw the intensity, pace and speed is a level above anything he’s experienced before, but he looked like what he is - a really promising teenager dropped into a men’s game and caught out by the speed of it all. He didn’t actually contribute much to the game other than effort and the odd nice first touch. But that’s fine.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

This. It was great that he got game time, saw the intensity, pace and speed is a level above anything he’s experienced before, but he looked like what he is - a really promising teenager dropped into a men’s game and caught out by the speed of it all. He didn’t actually contribute much to the game other than effort and the odd nice first touch. But that’s fine.

Indeed. I bet he woke up this morning tired, sore etc but overall in no doubt whatsoever how tough the PL is in terms of pace, physicality etc. A fantastic step in his development and the perfect opposition for him as Brentford are very physical and relentless pressers. 

He will probably know himself that there is plenty of work to do but should gain confidence from his first start. For me, not a starter for us yet but his potential is bloody scary. Well done young man 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But he did struggle, and he did look a little out of place. His touch evaded him a few times, he missed a few tackles and he wasn’t in the game. 

Saying he was fine and had a good game is just seeing what you want to see. It just is. 

I absolutely rate him, and for a 17yr old, his performance was absolutely fine. But in the context of a PL match, he struggled. 

BUT. He’ll be a superstar. I’m sure of it. 

Don't bother. He's a highly rated 17yr from our academy, people will see what they want to see. I felt the same with Ramsey's early performances. Actually, I think he looked nervier in this game than any of Ramsey's performances last season.e

People just judge these players on different standards, especially early on. I will say if someone like Hourihane or Mcginn put in that kind of performance, the reaction in his thread would've been a lot more negative.

That's not to say he doesn't have massive potential or that he didn't do well considering his age. But as a first team PL midfielder he still looks a ways off from where we would need him to be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah it’s exactly what happened, and people shouldn’t have to provide context for every post because context is, well, context.

He was very good.

The context is - 17, debut, wasn’t expecting to play, cobbled together side, went 1 down very early through no fault of his, shit referee, Brentford were trying to ruin to flow of the game.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He was very good.

He just wasn’t.  He’s a fantastic talent, should have a great future and yes it was his debut and yes he is 17 but I’m going to be very generous and say taking that into consideration he was ok.  It wasn’t a very good 17 year old debut at all, it just ok at best.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

He just wasn’t.  He’s a fantastic talent, should have a great future and yes it was his debut and yes he is 17 but I’m going to be very generous and say taking that into consideration he was ok.  It wasn’t a very good 17 year old debut at all, it just ok at best.

Yes he was.

• Haha 1

Well at the age of 49 i have just learned that sky replay the full game the morning after . So i can sit down and see if it was a good debut for a 17 yr old or a crap one. Without seeing him i think we can all agree already that by the time he is 19 he should be absolutely fine as he has all the raw talent you could wish for 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Well at the age of 49 i have just learned that sky replay the full game the morning after . So i can sit down and see if it was a good debut for a 17 yr old or a crap one. Without seeing him i think we can all agree already that by the time he is 19 he should be absolutely fine as he has all the raw talent you could wish for 

I wouldn't even say that. Player development is full of pitfalls. It's taken far too easily for granted that young players will improve simply because they're young and talented. Many have failed to meet the expectations people have had for them in their youth for various reasons.

Â