Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

22 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Edited after further look. 

I did a search across the premier league for the last 4 seasons and Carney Chukwuemeka is the only player under 20 to start at CM.

He is also the youngest starter in the premier league for the last 4 years, and the only starting CM at 17 since Cesc Fabregas in Nov 2004 for Arsenal against Spurs.

The only other one who was listed at Central Midfield under 19 in the last 3 seasons was Billy Gilmour who played a few mins two seasons ago against Sheff Utd for Chelsea. He was 18 years and 2 months old. 

Harvey Elliot plays CM doesn't he?

James Ward Prowse was starting at 16 in the championship and then 17 in the Prem.

Ross Barkley was 17 but will play more advanced.

But yes I agree, not many, it's much tougher at this age and in his position. It can be done though he has to be looking at the impact Bellingham had for Blues and Dortmund and pushing for it. He has the ability and I believe he can make it his own. But his work rate needs to significantly jump, I think he'll learn a lot between now and Christmas and we'll start to see a huge amount from him midway through the season

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Harvey Elliot plays CM doesn't he?

James Ward Prowse was starting at 16 in the championship and then 17 in the Prem.

Ross Barkley was 17 but will play more advanced.

But yes I agree, not many, it's much tougher at this age and in his position. It can be done though he has to be looking at the impact Bellingham had for Blues and Dortmund and pushing for it. He has the ability and I believe he can make it his own. But his work rate needs to significantly jump, I think he'll learn a lot between now and Christmas and we'll start to see a huge amount from him midway through the season

JWP was 18 on his first Premier League start, his starts before this were in the Cups (if Carney goes on to be as good as JWP i'll be delighted)...

Ross Barkley isn't really a CM but yes I take your point. 

Harvey Elliot is a winger, although he has started twice at AM this season for Liverpool. 

I was trying to narrow it down to out and out CM's. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Been racking my brains to think of another player in the prem who plays centre mid at 17 years old. Someone will prove me wrong i am sure now but i couldnt think of one . Tends to be wingers full backs and strikers who play at a young age because of how strong and wise you need to be . 

This is a superb brain teaser. Was Gerrard in his late teens when he started playing regularly for plop?

Michael Ballack moved to Dortmund to be a regular in his early 20s. Roy Keane was playing for Forest in his late teens, early twenties (old First Division). If Carney became half as good as either of those players, we're in for a treat (although I appreciate he's probably a different sort of footballer). 

5 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This is a superb brain teaser. Was Gerrard in his late teens when he started playing regularly for plop?

Michael Ballack moved to Dortmund to be a regular in his early 20s. Roy Keane was playing for Forest in his late teens, early twenties (old First Division). If Carney became half as good as either of those players, we're in for a treat (although I appreciate he's probably a different sort of footballer). 

Harvey Elliot has started two games for Liverpool as ACM this season. He's 6 months older than Carney but both are 03's

• Like 1

Lubb was 19 (although admittedly was 18 at Notts County) when he started breaking into the first team for us, Chuk still isn't 18 for another month and a half. He's got the potential to be a superstar.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Harvey Elliot has started two games for Liverpool as ACM this season. He's 6 months older than Carney but both are 03's

Harvey Elliot is an unbelievable talent. I thought that when I saw him at 16 in a friendly for them. He is going to be an England star.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Harvey Elliot is an unbelievable talent. I thought that when I saw him at 16 in a friendly for them. He is going to be an England star.

Yeah he looks the real deal, very impressive to get into that Liverpool team on merit being only 18. Fulham academy has produced some quality young players in the last few years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Been racking my brains to think of another player in the prem who plays centre mid at 17 years old. Someone will prove me wrong i am sure now but i couldnt think of one . Tends to be wingers full backs and strikers who play at a young age because of how strong and wise you need to be . 

I vaguely remember a really young lad for Leeds who played against us last season. 

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Wasn’t Gareth Barry, James Millner and Jack Wilshere, staring midfielders at early ages? 

Barry was part of a back 3. Other 2 starred in midfield. I think Milner was 16 when made his debut. If Chuk goes on to have a career anyway near as good as the names mentioned so far he’ll be a very lucky boy.

edit: Wilshere aside. God knows what happened to him! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

29 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Wasn’t Gareth Barry, James Millner and Jack Wilshere, starting midfielders at early ages? 

Wilshere didn't start a league game until he was 18 for Bolton.

Milner was one of three CM starters in the last two decades at 17 (other two being Fabregas and Chukwuemeka) in the league. 

Barry started as a defender to the best of my knowledge. 

Edited by Steero113

38 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Wasn’t Gareth Barry, James Millner and Jack Wilshere, starting midfielders at early ages? 

Barry started at left back and Milner was right wing, think MON moved Milner into the middle and maybe Barry as well. 

Barry made his full debut against Arsenal in May 98. I remember, I was there, with an absolutely horrible hangover. I'd disgraced myself the night before by being sick at the Forte Posthouse in Great Barr at a wedding reception. 10 pints of Blackthorn. What a melt I was. 

Barry played in a back 3 in his debut. Immense talent for his age. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

When he moves to Man City we should retire his shirt number 

If he’s as good as the hype then he’ll move somewhere before long.

Edited by Killeen30

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I hope not - unlike Grealish, I think our progress as a club can keep pace with his as a player.

Maybe we will. Time will tell I guess. If it happens it happens. We will all move on very quickly!

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

As mad as it sounds Jack was 19 and a half when he played THAT game against Liverpool .

Physically Carney is in a better shape than Grealish at the time. Although technically Jack something else. As long as Carney didn’t look out of place I don’t see why don’t use him as we did with Ramsey last season. He definitely offer something different than our other players. 
The main reason I used the Grealish example is that even if the youngster isn’t a finished article he could be better than some average players or atleast offers what they don’t. Targett although wasn’t that young but benefited physically by playing a full season. 

I have been questioning DS, although never been in the camp of changing him. The moment I saw Carney starting I felt relieved. That’s the only way to take us to the next level (rather than risking FFP...etc). Greenwood and Foden being used for their teams and national team. 

Â