Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

Hmmm, I want to read that athletic article but I also don't want to give them money just for that one article. I know this makes me a very bad person. Can anyone do either a good synopsis, or a straight up cut and paste / smash and grab?

I've done just that in the post you're referring to, as I thought that would be the case for some VillaTalk users (and I don't blame them, I'm only still subscribed because I found a cheeky code that made it £1 a month for 12 months)

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I've done just that in the post you're referring to, as I thought that would be the case for some VillaTalk users (and I don't blame them, I'm only still subscribed because I found a cheeky code that made it £1 a month for 12 months)

I had that code too! I never read it though, it’s rubbish!

29 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I had that code too! I never read it though, it’s rubbish!

I really like some of the podcasts and find that paying £1 to avoid ads on maybe 6 epsiodes I listen to weekly whilst working is enough of a plus to keep the sub going, plus the occasional good article like this one on Chuk. 

However, on the whole I find The Athletic just a group of self-congratulatory journalists who love telling each other and the readers about how good they are at their job. Luckily the key journalists in that bracket don't show up on the pods I listen to. 

Michelle Owen is another who does in house Villa stuff and works for the athletic and others, she's brilliant at her job and has good links to inside Villa but still Greg Evans plods out his minimum quota of Villa exclusives each month. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Which bit :D 

Gettin way ahead of myself here... 

England are struggling for CMs, Henderson will go after the WC leaving him with rice, phillips and Bellingham, jude is the future but Southgate loves his 2 holding midfielders cos he's a word removed, he should be playing Mount in the 3 but he changes his position every game 

Looking at who's missing Southgate seemingly doesn't rate JWP, not a lot else after that, Winks has gone by the look of it, maybe chamberlain will make 2 sub appearances and be back

Looking at the youth set up Curtis Jones has the Liverpool raffle ticket which is guaranteed a win but he needs to play for his club first, maybe Skipp because again he's a holding midfielder 

There's a great opportunity to break in to the England squad as a midfielder but then it's going to be very hard to break in to the team because of his favourites

As for Southgate... Nah they won't get rid of him, he's got the WC and the Euros for sure and the squad is good enough to get at least quarters, the FA lap him up, job for life incoming 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Gettin way ahead of myself here... 

England are struggling for CMs, Henderson will go after the WC leaving him with rice, phillips and Bellingham, jude is the future but Southgate loves his 2 holding midfielders cos he's a word removed, he should be playing Mount in the 3 but he changes his position every game 

Looking at who's missing Southgate seemingly doesn't rate JWP, not a lot else after that, Winks has gone by the look of it, maybe chamberlain will make 2 sub appearances and be back

Looking at the youth set up Curtis Jones has the Liverpool raffle ticket which is guaranteed a win but he needs to play for his club first, maybe Skipp because again he's a holding midfielder 

There's a great opportunity to break in to the England squad as a midfielder but then it's going to be very hard to break in to the team because of his favourites

As for Southgate... Nah they won't get rid of him, he's got the WC and the Euros for sure and the squad is good enough to get at least quarters, the FA lap him up, job for life incoming 

Agree on both counts. Shame about Carrot-Nose though.  

Here's the Athletic article on Carney 
https://theathletic.com/2795731/2021/08/29/nobody-passed-better-than-carney-chukwuemeka-in-the-opposition-half-aston-villa-have-a-gem-on-their-hands

When Carney Chukwuemeka’s teacher taught him how to tumble in a gymnastics class at Northampton’s St James CE primary school, he promised her that he’d use this as his signature celebration when he scored for England one day.

On Saturday he made a big step on the road to achieving that goal as Dean Smith handed the 17-year-old his first Premier League start for Aston Villa. Having been fast-tracked into the first-team set-up at the back end of last season, it was just a matter of time before he started to clock up more minutes in the top flight.

With both John McGinn and Jacob Ramsey forced to isolate because of a COVID-19 related issue, there was a gaping hole in midfield for the home game against Brentford. To make matters worse, captain Tyrone Mings was ruled out with a cracked rib, adding to the injury list of Leon Bailey, Bertrand Traore, Morgan Sanson and Trezeguet. Smith explained after the match that they tried to reduce Mings’ pain by injection but were unable to do so and the 28-year-old will now be assessed by the England medical team. The manager revealed these last-minute changes resulted in some players coming into the stadium and not even knowing that they were going to start.

To put it mildly, the starting XI didn’t exactly fill Villa fans with confidence. However, as one door shuts, another opens, and the opportunity came for the star of Villa’s FA Youth Cup win to make his mark.

With the 6ft 1in teenager patrolling Villa Park’s centre circle in his electric red boots, it’s not only hard to miss Chukwuemeka but it’s also hard to envisage that less than 10 years ago he was learning to do a cartwheel in the primary school gymnasium.

The childlike image contrasts the mature demeanour he demonstrated in the 1-1 draw against Brentford, a trait which Northampton academy coach Liam Williams identified from when the midfielder was as young as 10.

“You often find, especially with the boys who are very good at sport at primary school, they tend to be very boisterous and a little bit arrogant but Carney wasn’t like that,” says Williams.

“He wasn’t a ranter or shouter. He was always very calm when he talked on the pitch: even when we were getting beat, he never got stressed out. He would try to influence the game with his own performance. He seemed to have that ability to be laid-back but also maintain that drive.

“From a footballing point of view, he was good but during his time at Northampton, I’d say there were better players than him. What really set Carney apart was his mentality. We always said he had a killer instinct, he was just so driven to win games of football for his team, always so focused in that sense. I’ve still never seen that come across so strongly in such a young person.”

Smith partnered the teenager with 36-year-old Ashley Young in central midfield and, without stalwarts McGinn and Mings, one may have feared that Chukwuemeka would feel somewhat overwhelmed staring into a full Holte End for the first time. Although there were large chunks of the match which passed him by, he did not look out of place and when he did get on the ball there were some promising signs.

Early in the game, the Under-18 England international was vigilant, looking over his left shoulder to keep an eye on his opposite number Vitaly Janelt. His first touch was neat and he offered good hold-up play, at times dropping deeper to link up with Matt Targett but also acting as the fulcrum to facilitate switching the ball from right to left and vice versa. More of this, please.

What was most notable is Chukwuemeka’s ability to transition the ball from defence to attack. His passing accuracy in the opposition’s half was the highest of any player from either team who featured for at least 30 minutes. Of his 17 passes, 13 were successful and nine were forward, demonstrating his capacity to work the ball up the pitch into dangerous areas.

There were occasions when he took one too many touches, losing possession six times, but he also showed composure. Midway inside the first half, seeing Brentford’s Christian Norgaard — a Euro 2020 semi-finalist 10 years his senior — coming in from the side, he had the awareness to roll the ball across his body while bodychecking his opponent in the process.

Indeed, so confidently fluid is his movement that Chukwuemeka used to be called “Yaya” by the Northampton coaches as a nod to the former Manchester City midfielder.

Having only registered cameo performances in Villa’s final games against Tottenham and Chelsea last season, the academy graduate will have found these 63 minutes extremely valuable. He left the pitch to a standing ovation and, knowing his mindset, he’ll want more of that adulation. Now, the challenge is to keep his spot.

When asked what the 17-year-old needs to do to secure a regular starting place, Smith said: “He just needs to keep developing as he is and keep learning from the likes of Ashley Young. We’ve got high hopes for him, he’s a really calm and collected lad.”

So, a wise head on young shoulders, who, if things go his way, could be throwing in a couple of celebratory somersaults in the not too distant future.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, useless said:

He's just come on for England U19s with thirty minutes left to play. Game is being streamed on youtube.

Cheers for the link, matey. Not so useless after all 😉

Like the look of Nile John - looks to have a lot about him for an 18 year-old.

Â