Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Do you think another team would offer better terms then v4e?

As you say , he is 18

Man City? Chelsea? 

Yes I do, maybe structured differently to be more appearance and bonus related but I don't think if we gave him £30k a week he signs just because we've given more than anyone else would 

On my other point, Phil Foden "only" earns £30k a week at city because he signed a 6 year deal on 2018 at 18 years old, would you say that 4 years later that reflects his role in the team or City have done better than the player out of that deal? 

But again, foden on £30k a week 4 years a go I'm not saying chuk will ever reach that level but football inflation would say to me £30k isn't that bad, I'm sure Chelsea threw that kind of money at the likes of Loftus Cheek too

Pointless focusing on the £30k a week number, as it's almost certainly a made up figure.

As it happens I think we will probably be offering him more than that, there's a lot of money in academy football when it comes to the mostly highly rated youngsters in the country, clubs will pay a lot to obtain/ keep them, as it can save even more money in the long run, I wouldn't be surprised if he's already on around £20k a week as it is.

• Like 2

I wouldn't pay attention to the wages.

I think the entire negotiation is pretty much around playing time guarantees. 

There may be more money available elsewhere but we won't stiff Carney in these negotiations. He will go where the playing time is best and gives him a genuine chance of developing into a player making the big money.

Don't think money is too much the issue at the moment to be honest. Perhaps I'm naive. But this doesn't feel like a case of Billy Big Bollocks wants £80-150k. This is a player who wants to play, knowing he has the talent to make the big time in due course once he has opportunities to establish himself

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not really

Means in theory that if villa are absolute bastards or if he doesn't develop like we all think he will then when he's 23 he could be "stuck" on £30k

Also add the current rate of inflation in football and then when he's sat on the bench next season if we sign 2 midfielders a CB and a striker he looks to his left and sees mcginn, konsa, looks to his right and sees Luiz, Ings and Watkins his £30k will look paltry compared to their wage yet he has the same role as them

Look at Moriba at barca who we were linked to wanting £150k a week to stay there, sounds stupid but the rest of the squad are all on £200k a week plus so of course he wants similar 

The shit thing about it for me is villa have shown with a lot of players under this regime that they will reward players with new contracts long before its due, if he signs at £30k now and is first choice at 21 then I've got no doubt that like Ramsey we will reward him as such but I doubt he or his agent believes that 

1 - I think that it would be the club that would be stuck with the player, in that scenario. We would be paying £30k a week to someone who wouldn't feature in our first team, because he had failed to kick on. 

2 - That wouldn't say a lot for either of them. I think that what we have done for Ramsey demonstrates that young players can reasonably anticipate that they won't be unduly disadvantaged by signing a contract such as this one. Our manager and owners deserve the benefit of any doubt. It's not quite the same as West Ham's rumoured £200k per week 8-year contract offer to Rice. He could earn at least the same money elsewhere and with someone like Brady & Sullivan involved would very likely still be on the same money in 8-years time, no matter what that £200k was then worth. 

It makes me laugh when the press say he's looking to move on for more game time then link him to Man City or Liverpool! As if he'd get a start there. Shows how clueless the press are. 

Chuk's recent appearances back in the first team seem to suggest that things might be heading in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Should have shown him some tough love last summer and said if you don’t sign now we’ll send you back to the U18s for the remaining 2 years of your contract. Surprised at how badly this has been managed and how long it’s rumbled on for. If he’s genuinely that good then £30k a week is peanuts to us nowadays but the problem is every other youngster will now want the same especially as this lad has yet to make any impact on the pitch

7 hours ago, WHY said:

I read the deal we’ve offered him is £30k a week over 5 years. Games gone when an 18 year old who has literally done nothing isn’t walking over broke glass to sign it. 

I think most people believe this doesn't have a lot to do with money

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not really

Means in theory that if villa are absolute bastards or if he doesn't develop like we all think he will then when he's 23 he could be "stuck" on £30k

Also add the current rate of inflation in football and then when he's sat on the bench next season if we sign 2 midfielders a CB and a striker he looks to his left and sees mcginn, konsa, looks to his right and sees Luiz, Ings and Watkins his £30k will look paltry compared to their wage yet he has the same role as them

Look at Moriba at barca who we were linked to wanting £150k a week to stay there, sounds stupid but the rest of the squad are all on £200k a week plus so of course he wants similar 

The shit thing about it for me is villa have shown with a lot of players under this regime that they will reward players with new contracts long before its due, if he signs at £30k now and is first choice at 21 then I've got no doubt that like Ramsey we will reward him as such but I doubt he or his agent believes that 

This is the advantage of youth contracts because if they break through at like 20. You are basically guaranteed to get a 2-3 year extension on it as long as you offer a bumper salary because they don't want to run their contract down when they could be earning an extra 50k a week more. 

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

I think most people believe this doesn't have a lot to do with money

Also if he's been in contact with other clubs which is likely there is no way he hasn't been offered at least that by dortmund and the likes. 

This £30k a week story was from that c*** Villamole originally, was it not? That account is a farce. 

Back on to Carney. He seems to be getting more airtime from the club at the moment. Combine that with Gerrard’s comments and his minutes versus Liverpool, I think he’ll sign.

It would be a big loss to lose him. He may well turn out to be a flash in the pan and have no career in the game (unlikely), but it’s more what the club have invested in him and how much they’ve backed him over the last few years. He’s a special talent for his age and it would be a cruel blow to have developed that, only to see it disappear when he’s close to breaking through.

Start him in the final few games. Or at least one of them. 

• Like 2

Why don't people think this is about money? 

1. Hes had a reasonable amount of playing time.

2. He can likely see a pathway into the first team following examples like JJ, Grealish.

3. The links to bigger clubs with more established wage structures.

Everything points to money to me, what am missing

17 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

2. He can likely see a pathway into the first team following examples like JJ, Grealish.

We have the money. I’m not sure he can get more money elsewhere. I don’t see any German team giving him more than us, nor any English side because he’s still very young.

For me, he’s seen how Bellingham has done and he wants a piece of that. Whether that’s the right decision or not, only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think it's about money but all of it at villa, he's currently earning whatever he earns

1 - at 18 he signs a 5 year deal earning x amount, 3 years in to it he signs an extension 

2 - 19 he signs a 5 year deal earning y amount, 3 years in to it he signs an extension 

I think doing some quick maths option 2 will see him earn more money by the times he's 25 than he would do under option 1

I dont think he's leaving, he's just using time and being patient to maximise what villa pay him 

Poor guy , gotta feel for him, being stuck on 30k a year , how will he afford bread? 

Disgusting behaviour from the club, we should be offering 250-500k a week at least, 750k a week would be fair though, with all he has achieved here he should be getting that, it's only fair. 

Poor lad.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have the money. I’m not sure he can get more money elsewhere. I don’t see any German team giving him more than us, nor any English side because he’s still very young.

For me, he’s seen how Bellingham has done and he wants a piece of that. Whether that’s the right decision or not, only time will tell. 

I'll be interested to see, agree a move to a German club would certainly suggest it's about development. I still think he's had very good opportunity here.

I think it’s a push from him and the agent to secure more minutes. If that’s the case I fully agree, as a lot of managers don’t really give proper chances. Hopefully he starts against Burnley.

This will all be agent lead.

Carney seems like quite a humble person (on the football pitch, I'm sure he's a meat head with his mates quite rightly).  My argument is that we have better players like Sanson doing sweet nothing, and this kid who we're trying to butter up is costing those other players game time and for no end product other than "being tidy", that's the bare minimum for a professional, surely? 

We've had better prospects in their first season, like Barry, Bannan, Jack, Albrighton, Luke Moore, Stefan Moore, Ramsey and others who have come in an shown much more than this apparent "star kid".  He's hit the post once in his first game, but what Carney stand-out moment is there? 

I'd rather see Sanson given a decent chance, but that'll never happen. 

On 15/05/2022 at 14:54, AVFCforever1991 said:

Poor guy , gotta feel for him, being stuck on 30k a year , how will he afford bread? 

Disgusting behaviour from the club, we should be offering 250-500k a week at least, 750k a week would be fair though, with all he has achieved here he should be getting that, it's only fair. 

Poor lad.

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais clip from the Golden Globes a few years ago... 

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWw7x9Qn-vWlN0D2jXDF0v1vgE-d7nTDj

• Like 2

18 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think it’s a push from him and the agent to secure more minutes. If that’s the case I fully agree, as a lot of managers don’t really give proper chances. Hopefully he starts against Burnley.

That's all well and good but hes shown nothing to warrant extended amount of minutes 

• Like 3

Â