Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

13 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Well, if you look at it this way.

Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, West Ham, Newcastle and Brighton all did not have a striker score more than 10 goals. I'm pretty sure they are all desperate (except maybe Brighton) for a striker.

I just think it's not that easy, options are limited and you just can't pay 40m for an average striker like Newcastle did. It's a unrealistic way of running the club.

Options being limited is also why we bought Samatta and not someone else. I think top strikers are a rarity at the moment and everyone wants them.

Even Man Utd haven't been able to replace Lukaku with a proper striker since he left. It just isn't that easy, or all teams would have a 15+ striker in their club

Edit: even 2 of the promoted sides don't have good strikers. Leeds are reliant on Bamford and West brom topscorer was Charlie Austin who scored 11 goals

I appreciate this and stating 15+ goals is probs a bit of a stretch maybe 10/12+ is more realistic.

clearly we don’t want to be like newcastle and waste a fortune on a Joelinton but teams like West Ham have shown they are willing to invest I.e Bowen and he proved valuable at back end of season.

I can understand us taking time to get as good a deal as possible I guess I just want us to at least get a ‘band aid’ type of striker in who can at least start the season for us.

someone like Sturridge on a p4p type contract is something I wouldn’t be against until we buy our main striker. I just hate the idea of starting the season with Davies or samatta. We can’t afford a slow start this year.

Edited by Mark_1989
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Agreed but we can’t wait too long. 

A) we want players in to gel etc.

B.) before the end of the window we play Sheff U and Fulham, two huge games in the sense we will be targeting 6 points. We can’t afford to lose those as we really would be behind the 8 ball. Risk not worth taking starting with Samatta and the garbage entourage.

This sums it up. It’s like the people that are soooo relaxed about our lack of transfer business think that points only count after October 5th. We need people in place before these games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

I appreciate this and stating 15+ goals is probs a bit of a stretch maybe 10/12+ is more realistic.

clearly we don’t want to be like newcastle and waste a fortune on a Joelinton but teams like West Ham have shown they are willing to invest I.e Bowen and he proved valuable at back end of season.

I can understand us taking time to get as good a deal as possible I guess I just want us to at least get a ‘band aid’ type of striker in who can at least start the season for us.

someone like Sturridge on a p4p type contract is something I wouldn’t be against until we buy our main striker isn’t something I’d be against. I just hate the idea of starting the season with Davies or samatta. We can’t afford a slow start this year.

Agreed, would loved to have seen us sign someone. But I disagree about signing "band aid" types, the last thing we need to do is fill our squad with players we aren't going to use in the long term and end up in a "bomb squad" with no resale. Samatta and Wesley should be good enough for the bench.

Sturridge is a decent shout, but with his reputation and his injury record, he would never sign for anyone for a pay as you play contract, and as reports are suggesting, "free transfers" are often more expensive than buying strikers, as they require huge wages and signing on fees. There is a good reason no one has signed him yet.

Keep in mind that Sturridge has scored 7 goals in his last 53 premier league appearances, injuries ruined him

Edited by Chicken Field

8 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

There was me thinking that we had a policy ready for either eventuality... whether we survived or got relegated...

Yet there seems to be very little progress...

Er, seems to be very little progress because the progress being done is behind some extremely well closed doors. Under the new owners they've been excellent at keeping stuff under their hats for the most part. There will definitely have been a plan for either eventuality, just because they don't tweet about what they're doing every five minutes doesn't mean they aren't up to anything.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Was Maupay actually that good this season? I mean 10 goals isn't that impressive. Him and Wesley were at around the same rate when Wesley got injured.

And if reports are to be believed, there was defo something weird going on with Maupay price, where it seemed like they wanted more from us than Brighton (according to rumours)

Benrahma would have cost twice what Trez would and we had to fill the squad.

Besides, easy claims with hindsight.

pinching pennies is not something you could say about us last season... we had one of the biggest net spends in the world...

Ten goals is better than one....(Samatta).Maupay scored the same number of Prem goals as Lacazette, Deeney, Antonio and Greenwood.

Rumour has it we could have signed Benrahma on deadline day but didn’t. I bet the price has gone up since.

And it’s not hindsight, I and a number of others thought we went into last season two players short.....namely Maupay and Benrahma.

Edited by rayk

This is Daniel Sturridge's injury record during his short stint at Trabzonspor before he got banned from football due to illegal betting. Either he has bones made out of rice paper or he lacks heart and desire to actually play. I'm guessing it's both but doesn't really matter, the guy is finished.

19/20 Toe Injury Feb 22, 2020 Mar 2, 2020 9 days -
19/20 Knock Jan 10, 2020 Jan 28, 2020 18 days 3Trabzonspor
19/20 Muscle Injury Dec 8, 2019 Dec 13, 2019 5 days 2Trabzonspor
19/20 Calf muscle strain Nov 24, 2019 Nov 29, 2019 5 days 1Trabzonspor
19/20 Thigh muscle rupture Oct 28, 2019 Nov 24, 2019 27 days 5Trabzonspor
19/20 Groin Injury Oct 23, 2019 Oct 25, 2019 2 days 1Trabzonspor
19/20 Achilles tendon problems Sep 22, 2019 Sep 26, 2019 4 days 1Trabzonspor
19/20 Fitness Aug 25, 2019 Sep 2, 2019 8 days 3Trabzonspor

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Ten goals is better than one....(Samatta)

Rumour has it we could have signed Benrahma on deadline day but didn’t. I bet the price has gone up since.

And it’s not hindsight, I and a number of others thought we went into last season two players short.....namely Maupay and Benrahma.

I think every Villa fan, manager, coach and everyone else could see we were short of players in attack. The problem was that we had already spent £120m with no incoming fees.

It's not fair saying we should have bought maupay instead of Samatta, Maupay went to brighton because we bought Wesley and (probably wrongly so) hoped we had enough strikers

Samatta was clearly a panic buy because of the injury to Wesley and because of how terrible Kodija was. (It's always more expensive to sign players in january and Samatta still only cost around half of what Maupay cost)

Just now, villan-scott said:

I’m assuming the lack of content from Lange means he’s a busy boy. 

I hope so, but I also hope he’s not overwhelmed.

The only thing I don’t understand is why we haven’t landed any low hanging fruit.

I mean Mohammed Daramy is supposed to be the next big thing out of Denmark, okay only 18 but plays on the wing for FC Copenhagen and would cost like £5m or so.

Why not buy him and loan him back out like ‘bigger’ clubs do?