Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

I think we will sign Jack Butland. Just a hunch...

I know what you mean but if he really is only £8m this window I’d have thought we’d have signed him if we wanted him?

As other posters have stated I’m starting to get fed up with lack of striker signings. It’s inexcusable tbh. Before anyone shoots me down saying we don’t want to pay over the odds etc, we’ve had literally 9 months to work on striker targets. We panicked in January and bought the junk that is Samatta and literally haven’t had a goal scored by a striker since January...we clawed our way to safety plying with 10 men for the most part as our strikers converted 0.0% of their chances and to think we could be in a position to start the season with Keinan and Samatta is appalling.

Clearly we have targets in mind and don’t want to pay over the odds but we need to face the fact that we may have to pay more than we would like to. We wouldn’t be the first team to stump up large money for players, but if we think they are going to get us 15+ goals we need to go for it.

Leaving it till the end of the window we will already have let nearly 20% of the season slide and if we are to start back with samatta, Davies, ghazi or trez starting well we simply deserve to go down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m looking forward to the meltdown when we finally sign a player and it’s someone we’ve not been linked to. 

Last summer I don't think any of us would have thought we would have made the signings we made, I remember the Benhrama and Maupay links going on forever. Then Luiz and Wesley came out of nowhere. Nakamba and Trez took a long time to get over the line but all the links came from abroad no one in the UK press had a scooby.

It is a shame to miss out on Watkins though, I hope it's because we are signing Benhrama or something equally as good.

5 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

As other posters have stated I’m starting to get fed up with lack of striker signings. It’s inexcusable tbh. Before anyone shoots me down saying we don’t want to pay over the odds etc, we’ve had literally 9 months to work on striker targets. We panicked in January and bought the junk that is Samatta and literally haven’t had a goal scored by a striker since January...we clawed our way to safety plying with 10 men for the most part as our strikers converted 0.0% of their chances and to think we could be in a position to start the season with Keinan and Samatta is appalling.

Clearly we have targets in mind and don’t want to pay over the odds but we need to face the fact that we may have to pay more than we would like to. We wouldn’t be the first team to stump up large money for players, but if we think they are going to get us 15+ goals we need to go for it.

Leaving it till the end of the window we will already have let nearly 20% of the season slide and if we are to start back with samatta, Davies, ghazi or trez starting well we simply deserve to go down.

I’m a bit frustrated too but the more I see Eze go to Palace or Watkins to Fulham I’m confident we’ll do better.

But if Edoaurd or Batshuayi go to ‘lesser’ teams then that’s the time to start panicking. 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Exactly. That first month has at least two winnable games and we know that if we can’t win those winnable games, then we won’t claw those points back from top sides. 

• Like 2

I guess I don't understand all of the anxiety largely in view of the fact that they players we're being linked with aren't being signed by other clubs. That indicates that these transfers are ongoing and that it's not like our primary targets are being snatched up and we're being left in the dust. To the contrary, it seems like we're hearing about our interest in quality players (Rashica, McKennie, Edouard) emerging while other clubs seem to be dropping out of the chase.

I'm impatient for the obvious reason we're all likely to be impatient: new signings are exciting and we want to see our club strengthening in key areas. But I'm not worried that we haven't signed all of our targets just yet, because it just doesn't seem like we're behind the game—unless we're expecting to make signings like Chelsea, in which case we're all going to be disappointed no matter what happens.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mods can we add a yawn reaction to the list for monotonous posts ? Just a thought 

Don't be such a self harmer.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

As much as I think our current squad is relegation candidates and that we badly need signings in some areas I still think it's more important to get the right players in rather than to just get players in.

That takes time and doesn't always work. Unlike last summer we actually have time to get it right this time around.

• Like 1

I'll judge it all when the window closes, but I am puzzled as to why we didn't get in a few early for a long preseason. Deano even pointed to the importance of a preseason in the interview he gave a day or two ago. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Well, if you look at it this way.

Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, West Ham, Newcastle and Brighton all did not have a striker score more than 10 goals. I'm pretty sure they are all desperate (except maybe Brighton) for a striker.

I just think it's not that easy, options are limited and you just can't pay 40m for an average striker like Newcastle did. It's a unrealistic way of running the club.

Options being limited is also why we bought Samatta and not someone else. I think top strikers are a rarity at the moment and everyone wants them.

Even Man Utd haven't been able to replace Lukaku with a proper striker since he left. It just isn't that easy, or all teams would have a 15+ striker in their club

Edit: even 2 of the promoted sides don't have good strikers. Leeds are reliant on Bamford and West brom topscorer was Charlie Austin who scored 11 goals

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

As much as I think our current squad is relegation candidates and that we badly need signings in some areas I still think it's more important to get the right players in rather than to just get players in.

That takes time and doesn't always work. Unlike last summer we actually have time to get it right this time around.

Agreed but we can’t wait too long. 

A) we want players in to gel etc.

B.) before the end of the window we play Sheff U and Fulham, two huge games in the sense we will be targeting 6 points. We can’t afford to lose those as we really would be behind the 8 ball. Risk not worth taking starting with Samatta and the garbage entourage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we haven't signed anyone in a fortnight, I'll worry a bit.

My guess is that many delas will be made towards the end of the window, more than usual. I think the corona situation has disrupted the market and no one really knows what the current market is, waiting for other teams to make the first move. Also seems to have been few of the big deals that normally makes the other deals happen.

I wonder if there is a bubble in the making here, many delas are in installments and payment depending on the club receiving money from other deals. If a couple of clubs default on their payment it could collapse like other financial bubbles!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Options being limited is also why we bought Samatta and not someone else. I think top strikers are a rarity at the moment and everyone wants them.

We fluffed it by not paying that little bit more for Maupay (and buying Trez rather than Benrahma).

Thats why we ended up being in the position of having to buy Samatta in January. We can’t pinch pennies like that this time around., 

• Like 1

Sure everyone involved at the club is working as hard as they can to get business done as soon as they can.

We are not as an attractive destination yet as we hope to become over the next few years. The financial situation in football is drastically changed, even for us and our wealthy owners. As been mentioned countless times in this thread everyone is playing the waiting game to get the best deal possible. some clubs will crack and the longer it goes the more pressure will be from players, agents and accountants to sell. We are not in the same position as Chelsea with their transfer embargo over, CL spot and decade and a half long history of top finishes.

Just now, rayk said:

We fluffed it by not paying that little bit more for Maupay (and buying Trez rather than Benrahma).

Thats why we ended up being in the position of having to buy Samatta in January. We can’t pinch pennies like that this time around., 

Was Maupay actually that good this season? I mean 10 goals isn't that impressive. Him and Wesley were at around the same rate when Wesley got injured.

And if reports are to be believed, there was defo something weird going on with Maupay price, where it seemed like they wanted more from us than Brighton (according to rumours)

Benrahma would have cost twice what Trez would and we had to fill the squad.

Besides, easy claims with hindsight.

pinching pennies is not something you could say about us last season... we had one of the biggest net spends in the world...

• Like 1