Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

£30m is the new £10m these days 

I know.....but some clubs do still overpay.

The good news is that Leeds seem to have gone down their list in order to find someone who may join them.

They’re not getting whoever they want.

Let’s focus on what we’re doing and not what other clubs are doing. It would be naive to say we’re not trying to get signings on board, because we are. As with any transaction, you have to purchase at the right time for the right price and we’re in a very uncertain market. Have some patience and keep faith with what is a very capable team. Up the Villa. 

• Like 1

Well if Eze is off to Palace and Watkins is off to Fulham then I hope we're close on landing our number 1 targets otherwise we'll be talking about them like we spoke about Maupay last season. Don't wanna go through that shit again. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

if we had put bids in clubs receiving would have leaked it out

Not the way our transfers under Purslow have gone at all. We have mostly not known anything before the player signs.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wes said:

but looks like Eberechi Eze from QPR to Crystal Palace for £16m with bonuses up to 19.5m.

Alas!!! I really rate Eze as i've said many times on here before.

Great article written on him here :-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12482423/eberechi-eze-premier-league-tesco/

EBERECHI Eze is a wanted man, rated by many as the most exciting player in the Championship.

The QPR No10, who scored 14 times for the Hoops and provided eight assists last season, has been linked with a £20million move to Premier League sides Fulham and Crystal Palace.

But at one time it didn't look like the 22-year-old fans' favourite was going to make it in the game.

Released by Arsenal and Millwall, the attacking midfielder could have been forgiven that a life in professional football wasn't for him.

And at his lowest, he considered taking a job working part-time at supermarket chain Tesco.

While it all began for Eze on a council estate in a rough part of Greenwich, where he developed his close control and quick feet playing cage football.

At QPR, Eze has had the opportunity to flourish, playing for a team that lets him showcase his skills.

But it wasn't always that easy, and rejection was a big part of his early teens.

He began at boyhood club Arsenal - who he has expressed his dream to play for one day.

However, in 2011 the Gunners released Eze on the count of him being "too small". It left the then 13-year-old distraught.

"It started at Arsenal. I was 13 [when I was released]. That was the worst one," he told the Independent.

"I remember crying in my room for a solid week, my mum telling me that it’s going to be OK but not being able to get over it."

TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS
A stint at Fulham, followed by four months at Reading and Eze still couldn't find any takers.

In 2014, he joined Millwall, but wasn't suited to their brand of route one football that left little room for a creative playmaker.

Surprisingly, to Eze at least, he was called into the office of former manager Neil Harris, who told the youngster he wasn't needed two years later.

“When I got released by Millwall, I understood the decision. I get why Neil made that call," he told TalkSPORT.

“You could see in training and in matches that I wasn’t their typical type of player.

“I didn’t think I would get released at the time I did though – that came as a big shock to me.

“I thought I’d probably get another year there, even though it didn’t look like there was much chance of me getting near the first team.

“It took me by surprise, but ultimately it was a blessing in disguise.”

STACKING SHELVES
With a career in football looking unlikely, Eze had to think about a making a life in something else.

He enrolled at a college, and was on the verge of accepting a job part-time at a local Tesco.

“When I initially got released [by Millwall] I wasn’t too down, as there were plenty of clubs interested in me," he said.

“But after being turned down by a few of them that’s when it really started hitting me. I was getting a bit worried – all I’ve ever wanted to do is to be a professional footballer."

He told the Independent: “I honestly have no idea what I would have done.

"I didn’t like anything at school. Even P.E was a drag. When my agent told me I had a trial at QPR I just thought: ‘I have to get in’. There was no other option.”

His saving grace was QPR's technical director Chris Ramsey, who not only invited him for a trial but saw his potential.

Eze signed a contract with the West London side in 2016, and has since become one of the most talked about players outside the Premier League.

CAGE FOOTBALL
Eze's unique set of ball skills, able to dribble himself out of tight spots, was developed playing a brand of cage football - like 'ballers' Jadon Sancho and Reiss Nelson.

He grew up in the flats opposite Greenwich Hospital, where football was his escape.

“There are the nice parts [of Greenwich] and the not so nice parts," he revealed.

"I grew up in a not so nice part. It wasn’t the easiest life and you don’t have as much as other kids around you.

"The first place we’d go after school is to the cage. We’d stay there till our parents called us in, not eating, playing all day and night.

"There wasn’t really anything else to do. But that’s where the love comes from. [At the time], you don’t realise it’s actually how you’re learning your trade.”

A trade that could see Eze finally appearing in the Premier League, where many didn't believe he belonged.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Not the way our transfers under Purslow have gone at all. We have mostly not known anything before the player signs.

Just keep remembering that list that got posted on Twitter from Smith's sons friend. Most on that list hadn't even been spoken about at all in the press. Shows the way we work now. And this summer even more so as the club will be extra careful not to let any more of those lists leak out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Honestly, I think everyone’s bending over backwards to justify the clubs lack of activity so far. Season kicks off in 3 weeks and I don’t believe we’re close to signing anyone. It’s unacceptable and they need to sort it out fast. 

Just need a bit more patience I'm afraid. Maybe the perceived lack of activity is due to the club trying to tie up some big deals? The bigger the deal, the more time it takes. I think we'll see a record breaking transfer soon.

Just now, Okonokos said:

Just need a bit more patience I'm afraid. Maybe the perceived lack of activity is due to the club trying to tie up some big deals? The bigger the deal, the more time it takes. I think we'll see a record breaking transfer soon.

The “have patience” line was fine a couple of weeks ago but is starting to wear thin now. We need a minimum of 4 signings, we should have at least sorted one if not two by now. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Chelsea wrapped up much bigger deals, much earlier.

33 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Honestly, I think everyone’s bending over backwards to justify the clubs lack of activity so far. Season kicks off in 3 weeks and I don’t believe we’re close to signing anyone. It’s unacceptable and they need to sort it out fast. 

One of 6 PL teams not to make a signing. The circumstances are tricky right well as now. It’s not as easy as making a signing on football manager. And if we are competing for the right players that will take us to the next level (which is what we all wanted), there’ll be competition for them with both the relevant club, player and agent holding out for the ‘right’ deal.

So yes - have patience. 

I very much doubt Rodrigo would be going to Leeds without Bielsa being manager. It’s interesting the lure a big name has and maybe Smith’s name and reputation is somewhat of a hinderance to some foreign players who would have never heard of him... Not using it as criticism or as Smith Out stick just an observation... 

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Chelsea wrapped up much bigger deals, much earlier.

They were working on those deals from January on wards as they couldn't buy anyone last year. All their signings were planned from last summer. Havertz is the biggest of the lot and that is still dragging on...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Alas!!! I really rate Eze as i've said many times on here before.

Great article written on him here :-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12482423/eberechi-eze-premier-league-tesco/

I rate Eze as well, and a friend who is a QPR fan and whose opinion I trust is mad about him. While I'd like us to have him, I'm not sure how he would fit in and can't see him going straight in the team. I'd be hesitant to pay up to £20M or a fifth of our reported budget on a player that perhaps isn't a starter. He seems to mostly play to the left in a front three, I'd rather have Benrahma or Buendia there, if not Jack. I think Eze would be best as a secons forward or having a free attacking midfield role, but we usually don't play that way and if we do Jack is better in that position.

Do you think Eze would go straight into the team, and in what position?

Bielsa hasn't signed a "name" in his career. He's created a few names but it's a myth that he draws big players to the club. Watkins and Eze aren't having their heads turned by Hodgson and Parker either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

One of 6 PL teams not to make a signing. The circumstances are tricky right well as now. It’s not as easy as making a signing on football manager. And if we are competing for the right players that will take us to the next level (which is what we all wanted), there’ll be competition for them with both the relevant club, player and agent holding out for the ‘right’ deal.

So yes - have patience. 

I don’t play Football Manager and I have been supporting Villa for over 25 years so I know we are completely capable of messing up a transfer window. Out of interest, at what point will the “have patience” folk start to be worried given that Smith himself cited the troubles of player landing days before the season started?