Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

21 minutes ago, Spray said:

Yep. I see another season of struggle if those links turn out to be our so called improvements.

Far too early to judge, but I fail to see how links to Edoaurd, Benrahma, Raschica, Ramsdale would point to another season of struggle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Be very upsetting if Santamaria goes Burnley.

He would have been a better shout than Marvellous imo last summer but like with a few other signings we went for the cheaper option.

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Let's say he's not one of our better players when the opposition have the ball. Actually we are a lot more balanced even with Hourihane (I know he's not your favourite) in that midfield position as he's very disciplined in his positioning.

I don't want to be too sterotyped in my thinking, but I think we need a taller built player in the CDM role.

Now that is not me saying dispense with Luiz, because I think Luiz has skills to move forward with too.....but away from home at times 2 CDM's with slightly varying attributes would be my favour.....that would leave 4 players and maybe one of the 2 for offence.

That is not to say, if we was on top the 2 CDM's could weigh in with the attack, but with us without the ball, I would feel safer to stay in the game, with that formation.

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You think we can survive in the PL with a central midfield of McGinn and Luiz ? I just can't see it. 

I am dubious too.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to be too sterotyped in my thinking, but I think we need a taller built player in the CDM role.

Now that is not me saying dispense with Luiz, because I think Luiz has skills to move forward with too.....but away from home at times 2 CDM's with slightly varying attributes would be my favour.....that would leave 4 players and maybe one of the 2 for offence.

That is not to say, if we was on top the 2 CDM's could weigh in with the attack, but with us without the ball, I would feel safer to stay in the game, with that formation.

My thoughts exactly. I still thing Billing could play that role....excellent at interceptions, good tackling and his throw ins should not be underestimated when near the box.

*Edit* Just to clarify, I’d want the ability to play 2 DCMs on occasions but on the basis Jack plays AM. If That means SJM gets subbed early or sits out a game or two so be it.

Edited by rayk

31 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Weston McKennie in talks with Southampton.Keen to come to the Premier League. £20m. We should be looking there!!

we should be all over this one. we've been pretty quiet so far and I'm not sure what to make of it..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

He would have been a better shout than Marvellous imo last summer but like with a few other signings we went for the cheaper option.

Looking at the stats across Europe of the top DMF's under the age of 25, Marvellous has a much MUCH higher potential ceiling of ability than Santamaria btw.

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

Far too early to judge, but I fail to see how links to Edoaurd, Benrahma, Raschica, Ramsdale would point to another season of struggle.

If and I say if.....the midfield is not right.....they wouldn't really help out would they?

We conceded 67 goals last season, if we go in to this season ignoring that fact.....we will only have ourselves to blame.

Dean did a sterling job tightening us up post Lockdown, but he did so with existing players.....some of which may be playing in an unnatural role just to get us over the line.

I think in Nakamba and Luiz we have 2 players who have been used in that role.....not sure both of them are strong or powerful enough to play 38 games in that position.....I think CDM needs strengthening with power and awareness.....Ndidi, Nzonzi, that type.

• Like 1

If we are to start the season with Samatta and Trez in the first 11 with Davies our first striker option off the bench we are in big trouble likely relegation fight again.

Fortunatley I don’t think this will be the case however I did think we would be further down the line with negotiations/signings already especially given how Smith was complaining we had players entering the squad 2 days before the season started.

When does pre season start as in all the squad back together I know a lot are training on their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

If we do go ahead and sign the likes of Benrahma, Watkins and Cash, I hope the step up isn't too much for them. 

Who?

Must have missed that one being linked

10 minutes ago, rayk said:

My thoughts exactly. I still thing Billing could play that role....excellent at interceptions, good tackling and his throw ins should not be underestimated when near the box.

*Edit* Just to clarify, I’d want the ability to play 2 DCMs on occasions but on the basis Jack plays AM. If That means SJM gets subbed early or sits out a game or two so be it.

I have a slight worry about JM, I have purposely dropped the S, because John has to rediscover his form.....I have no idea how long these things take to recover from from injury, but he lookad a shadow of the John McGinn, I know and revere.

but we need to hit the ground running this season, and come out of the traps with fire in our belly.....we don't want too many ifs, buts and maybe's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

If and I say if.....the midfield is not right.....they wouldn't really help out would they?

We conceded 67 goals last season, if we go in to this season ignoring that fact.....we will only have ourselves to blame.

Dean did a sterling job tightening us up post Lockdown, but he did so with existing players.....some of which may be playing in an unnatural role just to get us over the line.

I think in Nakamba and Luiz we have 2 players who have been used in that role.....not sure both of them are strong or powerful enough to play 38 games in that position.....I think CDM needs strengthening with power and awareness.....Ndidi, Nzonzi, that type.

Hey I agree on strengthening the MF, but I think if we did have those players it would have made a big difference.

Soooooo many times good attacks petered out without a goal because of a poor cutting edge. That must really have impacted confidence on the pitch.

So i think if we’d scored an extra 10-15 goals the confidence of the teams in games would have been lifted and we might even have conceded 10-15 fewer goals.

18 minutes ago, Bomvilla7 said:

we've been pretty quiet so far and I'm not sure what to make of it..

Probably that we are, as per the last few windows, doing our work without leaking it to all and sundry.

7 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

I did think we would be further down the line with negotiations/signings already

What makes you think we aren't deep into negotiations?  As above.

Signings will happen, and will be announced almost as soon as the word gets out.  There have barely been any significant transfers apart from the odd free across the whole league.