Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

35 minutes ago, rayk said:

Hey I agree on strengthening the MF, but I think if we did have those players it would have made a big difference.

Soooooo many times good attacks petered out without a goal because of a poor cutting edge. That must really have impacted confidence on the pitch.

So i think if we’d scored an extra 10-15 goals the confidence of the teams in games would have been lifted and we might even have conceded 10-15 fewer goals.

That is possible, granted......but it is easier and less expensive to stop goals than score them.....and if a bit of doubt creeps in, the goals for, usually get hit a bit before the goals against do.

If you go by the old adage, "you have to win the right to play football", the thinking will never be far wrong.....we have to rememeber, Brentford as an example, won nothing last season.....Ipswich, in 1980/81 won nothing, despite being a great team on the eye......Arsenal Win nothing, despite being pleasant to watch...since Viera, Petite, Adams, Winterburn, Dixon and Keown.....they have lost the plot.

not many teams can do both thats why Liverpool and Man City are the best.......they can.

Someone has to hold the fort and you need players to do that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Maxi Gomez anyone? Thought I might've read something a few weeks ago here.  

I know he was linked with us last summer and ended up with Valencia. Now looks like they're in a financial crisis and are open to offers for all of their players. Could we swoop back in for him? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Looking at the stats across Europe of the top DMF's under the age of 25, Marvellous has a much MUCH higher potential ceiling of ability than Santamaria btw.

You mean stats. Pointless imo. Stats can tell you what the player has done in the past and what he is capable of now. 

What he is capable of achieving in the future down to sooooo many imponderables historic stats predicting potential ceilings are really pointless.

19 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

If we are to start the season with Samatta and Trez in the first 11 with Davies our first striker option off the bench we are in big trouble likely relegation fight again.

Fortunatley I don’t think this will be the case however I did think we would be further down the line with negotiations/signings already especially given how Smith was complaining we had players entering the squad 2 days before the season started.

When does pre season start as in all the squad back together I know a lot are training on their own.

It is a good point.....it always tickles me, when managers say we signed them late on and they missed crucial training...... well don't then, sign them early.

I guess there are far more things involved that what I know, but some of the statements do sound contradictory, in hindsight.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What's your view on our CB position. Is it Mings and Konsa to lose now? Or are we thinking we need to spunk heavily on a new partner to Mings?

If some of the names linked in the last few weeks end up signing for us I'll have used all my precious resources!

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't want to be too sterotyped in my thinking, but I think we need a taller built player in the CDM role.

Now that is not me saying dispense with Luiz, because I think Luiz has skills to move forward with too.....but away from home at times 2 CDM's with slightly varying attributes would be my favour.....that would leave 4 players and maybe one of the 2 for offence.

That is not to say, if we was on top the 2 CDM's could weigh in with the attack, but with us without the ball, I would feel safer to stay in the game, with that formation.

I'd actually stick with it as it is now. That is to say the formation, although I'm not averse to switching to 2 DMs for certain games - horses for courses and all that. We are not Man City that can impose our game on 95 percent of teams we face - that is hopefully one day the plan but right now we are not that.

I understand your desire for more physicality but I don't think pure height is the answer either. We need someone who wins the battles for the ball, has the pace and power to move up and down the field but also possesses the necessary skills moving forward. Something like signing a mid 90's Roy Keane (5' 10'' - don't know if that is tall enough for you) but hopefully we find that player when he's still at Forest because I feel the United version would be outside our price range.

21 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Probably that we are, as per the last few windows, doing our work without leaking it to all and sundry.

What makes you think we aren't deep into negotiations?  As above.

Signings will happen, and will be announced almost as soon as the word gets out.  There have barely been any significant transfers apart from the odd free across the whole league.

That maybe true, but equally, we have more interest than most in , not flirting with the quicksand again.....I would suspect the fact no one else has moved yet, enables us to get in first..." The early bird catches the worm" and all that.

I do get a tad frustrated when I hear references to other clubs, we have been followers for too long and we need to get on the front foot, not just on the pitch......Our once upon a time Finance Director Mark Ansell once described us a "selling club" another defeatist attitude, what a statement to fans or prospective recruits, even though it might have been true.

I understand that these things take time and patience is a virtue....but you can't blame fans getting anxious, their fingernails are only just recovering from last season.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'd actually stick with it as it is now. That is to say the formation, although I'm not averse to switching to 2 DMs for certain games - horses for courses and all that. We are not Man City that can impose our game on 95 percent of teams we face - that is hopefully one day the plan but right now we are not that.

I understand your desire for more physicality but I don't think pure height is the answer either. We need someone who wins the battles for the ball, has the pace and power to move up and down the field but also possesses the necessary skills moving forward. Something like signing a mid 90's Roy Keane (5' 10'' - don't know if that is tall enough for you) but hopefully we find that player when he's still at Forest because I feel the United version would be outside our price range.

I have never professed that, you have to have the skills too......but as they say a good big one will beat a good little one on most days.

Burnley are just one example of exploiting a small team, they are past masters......Pepe Himself has referenced his team are a tad too small....his words not mine.

Personally, I think it is more important than some folk are prepared to admit.

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What's your view on our CB position. Is it Mings and Konsa to lose now? Or are we thinking we need to spunk heavily on a new partner to Mings?

I wouldn't be opposed to getting an upgrade there, but I would be opposed to diverting resources there where there are other areas of the squad we need to invest more heavily in. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We can't spend it everywhere.......if they have adequate protection, from midfield, I think they will be ok......if our wingers and striker keep the ball up the other end, that will help too.

If we can get 4/5 in this summer, that offer us an effective lift, we can go back to adding 2 players a season, hopefully the academy with help too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Was it a proper link, or just random mention somewhere? 

Is he any good?

He has good moments, has talent, a bit lightweight for me.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

We can't spend it everywhere.......if they have adequate protection, from midfield, I think they will be ok......if our wingers and striker keep the ball up the other end, that will help too.

If we can get 4/5 in this summer, that offer us an effective lift, we can go back to adding 2 players a season, hopefully the academy with help too.

Whilst I doubt anyone could accurately claim Villa’s collective ability in defence is any better than mid-table, it was noticeable that the protection provided by an in form Luiz and (eventually) a near fully fit McGinn, our defence finally looked ‘okay’. After conceding the second highest in the 19/20 season, I didn’t think I’d be agreeing that defence might not be our top priority this window!

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Probably that we are, as per the last few windows, doing our work without leaking it to all and sundry.

What makes you think we aren't deep into negotiations?  As above.

Signings will happen, and will be announced almost as soon as the word gets out.  There have barely been any significant transfers apart from the odd free across the whole league.

Maybe we are further down the line, but with the squad back together by the end of the week/early next week I’d like new players in from day 1 getting settled.

It may transpire that we announce some signings this week and I hope you are right. But I feel we need to get a move on.