Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

11 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Does anyone else feel underwhelmed by the players (Rashica apart) that we are being linked with? I remember back in the day we constantly bought players from relegated teams. There's part of me that says if we keep buying teams from Championship teams we will be a Championship team. I hope I am wrong. 

If we do go ahead and sign the likes of Benrahma, Watkins and Cash, I hope the step up isn't too much for them. 

Webster, Maupay and Phillips would all have been ‘championship’ signings, and all would have improved us last season versus some of the signings from abroad we ended up with with. 

Watkins, Benrahma & Cash would all be good additions, the first two being nailed on starters in our current team. 

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Webster, Maupay and Phillips would all have been ‘championship’ signings, and all would have improved us last season versus some of the signings from abroad we ended up with with. 

Watkins, Benrahma & Cash would all be good additions, the first two being nailed on starters in our current team. 

Considering we most likely will keep a 3 man central midfield and Grealish on the left wing, how are those two nailed starters? I'd agree with Watkins, but where does Benrahma fit in?

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

but you wouldn't want them all to be......as an example below, they are all sources for us to trawl

• Foreign players
  • Academy starlets
  • Lower league Gems
  • Top Premier league teams fringe players.
  • championship players

all have a legitimacy....but you would not want to put all your eggs in one basket and sign players from one source.

I would still not give up on Loan players, as long as its the odd one and the quality was sufficient and we have an option to buy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Considering we most likely will keep a 3 man central midfield and Grealish on the left wing, how are those two nailed starters? I'd agree with Watkins, but where does Benrahma fit in?

Learning lessons from last season I think we’ll go 4-2-3-1 for many games. Jack in the middle of the 3 and Benny/Rashica/whoever we sign for the spot on the left of it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Does anyone else feel underwhelmed by the players (Rashica apart) that we are being linked with?

Yep. I see another season of struggle if those links turn out to be our so called improvements.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

but you wouldn't want them all to be......as an example below, they are all sources for us to trawl

• Foreign players
  • Academy starlets
  • Lower league Gems
  • Top Premier league teams fringe players.
  • championship players

all have a legitimacy....but you would not want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Just being realistic about who we can attract at this stage in our rebuild. I’m sure we’ll be trawling all over the place for talent and we should, but I’ve no objection to stand-out young players who’ve proved themselves in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Learning lessons from last season I think we’ll go 4-2-3-1 for many games. Jack in the middle of the 3 and Benny/Rashica/whoever we sign for the spot on the left of it. 

I think if we learned anything from last season it was that Jack is much better drifting from the left wing than going deep into a midfield 3. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Weston McKennie in talks with Southampton.Keen to come to the Premier League. £20m. We should be looking there!!

just the fact Southhampton are in for him.....they do pick up some decent buys.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think if we learned anything from last season it was that Jack is much better drifting from the left wing than going deep into a midfield 3. 

When our wingers aren’t worth a fart then yes, that’s true. In a 4-2-3-1 he wouldn’t be sitting deep, he’d be in the middle pulling the strings and driving attacks. I think that’s where he wants to play, too. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

He is an inside forward for me.....between a centre and a winger.

The problem I have with Jack in the centre is, it leaves us open to attack, as jack is not the best at stopping opponents....great player, but not great defensively.

unless of course holding the ball and keeping it like he does, could be classed as defensive.....as they haven't got the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

When our wingers aren’t worth a fart then yes, that’s true. In a 4-2-3-1 he wouldn’t be sitting deep, he’d be in the middle pulling the strings and driving attacks. I think that’s where he wants to play, too. 

You think we can survive in the PL with a central midfield of McGinn and Luiz ? I just can't see it. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You think we can survive in the PL with a central midfield of McGinn and Luiz ? I just can't see it. 

I do, in most games. Especially if the wingers are tracking back - to be fair Trez covered the ground on this but lacked skill higher up. 

Retaining and winning the ball back higher up the pitch also takes pressure of the CM’s, one reason we were getting beaten up so much there last season.  

If we let players like Kalinic and Nyland go, would anyone see value in bringing in Bravo? I know he has his weaknesses but he's also spent his career at top sides winning trophies and as competition for Heaton whilst he's recovering from his injury, could be a good short-term keeper solution. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

He is an inside forward for me.....between a centre and a winger.

The problem I have with Jack in the centre is, it leaves us open to attack, as jack is not the best at stopping opponents....great player, but not great defensively.

unless of course holding the ball and keeping it like he does, could be classed as defensive.....as they haven't got the ball.

Let's say he's not one of our better players when the opposition have the ball. Actually we are a lot more balanced even with Hourihane (I know he's not your favourite) in that midfield position as he's very disciplined in his positioning.

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

Improved us materially though I’m not so sure....I’m the same so far, aside from Rashica, none that we have been linked with have had me excited by.  The players you mention aren’t that much better than who we got like Konsa, Wes and Luiz...

I would’ve hoped we aim for higher than some of the links we have.  yeah Watkins is great but only if we got in a main striker as well but that’s hard to see us doing that as well....

Nothing is done yet but I’m hoping we are looking for players a level above our current squad so we can aim for solid mid table performance.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

In a system like that if we had players like Matic or Henderson, fabinho or Fernandinho in the 2 we would be fine....jack and John with a player like Rashica and a decent striker and we would be in clover.

Luiz post lock down, could play one of the two, but I would like to see a 6' + player play the other role in the two, to protect the defence and win aerial ball.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We need pace something shocking.  We just don’t have it at the minute.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Awol said:

Just being realistic about who we can attract at this stage in our rebuild. I’m sure we’ll be trawling all over the place for talent and we should, but I’ve no objection to stand-out young players who’ve proved themselves in the championship. 

True but for me that isn’t 24 year olds who will cost 25m

• Like 1