Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

What if what if what if. We're not spending 20 million on a bench player (Traore) to then spend 40m on likes of Sarr. Sarr is hyped because he scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games against Manure and Liverpool yet went missing for large parts of the season otherwise

Yeah but the what if’s are likely and almost a dead cert because no team goes 38 games with the same XI all season because of those things I mention do and will happen.  Our current back up players are the reason we almost got relegated last season 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zak said:

Why do people keep saying XXX won't come if they aren't guaranteed a start?

Are teams doing that for transfers now, I can't see it. For loans I understand as the parent club needs their player developed

But no team is bringing in a player and guaranteeing him starts the player has to earn it.

What happens if you guarantee a player starts and he turns out to be terrible for you? You continue losing or you get sued. Playing guarantees are not happening, right?

Exactly no contract, or negotiations guarantee players starts.  If we have 4 quality players for 3 the forward positions all 4 will get plenty of games if they stay fit. I don’t see any harm in Trez becomng the 5th man rather than 4th in our forward line options, by bringing in another quality attacking player.

Not having contingencies is a ludicrous way to operate. Nearly got us relegated. We really need a James Milner type who can play RB, LB, RW, LW, CM RM, LM, AM, DM, and I don't doubt he can do a job in goal and up front too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zak said:

Why do people keep saying XXX won't come if they aren't guaranteed a start?

Are teams doing that for transfers now, I can't see it. For loans I understand as the parent club needs their player developed

But no team is bringing in a player and guaranteeing him starts the player has to earn it.

What happens if you guarantee a player starts and he turns out to be terrible for you? You continue losing or you get sued. Playing guarantees are not happening, right?

I think villa fans are skewed on this subject as in recent years we have been barely able to field a good first 11 let alone any quality on the bench, so we have a belief that good players wouldn’t possibly accept sitting on the bench and that this would somehow disrupt the good vibes in the squad. Now that we are becoming a well run club, good players and competition from the bench should become the norm.

• Like 4

Barkley was the 1 Smith mentioned the other day clearly. Been in the pipeline for a while it seems so he knew that was done/nearly done at the Fulham pre-match. 

When he talked about other possible transfers, a Forward who primarily plays on the wings (such as Rashica) would make the most sense. Whilst we don't necessarily need them per say for the 1st team (if we play Grealish on the left) it provides massive, healthy competition for the team which is really good to see. His non-committal on other signings also suggests that we have someone lined up but something is holding it up, which feeds into what @AvfcRigo82 disclosed i.e. its Bremen not agreeing to terms and trying to get more money.

I think what @TrentVilla and @AvfcRigo82 have both shown with Barkley/Rashica that the mainstream press actually know very little and are just guessing what they think teams need. I wouldn't worry too much what the press is saying (and certainly people please stop quoting Skybet odds - they are the bane of transfer windows) and just sit back and enjoy what has already been a pretty good window. 

:popcorn:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not having contingencies is a ludicrous way to operate. Nearly got us relegated. We really need a James Milner type who can play RB, LB, RW, LW, CM RM, LM, AM, DM, and I don't doubt he can do a job in goal and up front too. 

Yes yes he can... what a player.

19 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

TBH I think we've managed to sign our priority targets. 

Fair enough, I think there’s still one more out there with a target on his back and an eccentric DOF standing in the way - as is his right. 

I’m totally sold on the idea we’ll chase Rashica down to the wire, my guess is both sides are dug in and giving it ‘we shall not be moved’, instead of meeting half way. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Exactly no contract, or negotiations guarantee players starts.  If we have 4 quality players for 3 the forward positions all 4 will get plenty of games if they stay fit. I don’t see any harm in Trez becomng the 5th man rather than 4th in our forward line options, by bringing in another quality attacking player.

There is no way on earth part of Olllie Watkins conditions for joining us was he'd be guaranteed starts, it's a bit of a silly notion some people have when you buy players. Maybe it happens with some loans but then maybe (Thank **** it wasn't in Drinkwaters!)

• Confused 1

To be a top club think the general rule is 2 players for every position. For the six midfield and attacking positions, in my view we've got 11 (Luiz and Nakamba, Barkley and Hourihane, McGinn and Ramsey, Grealish and ?, Watkins and Davis, Trez, and Traore), leaving room for one more front 3 player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Fair enough, I think there’s still one more out there with a target on his back and an eccentric DOF standing in the way - as is his right. 

I’m totally sold on the idea we’ll chase Rashica down to the wire, my guess is both sides are dug in and giving it ‘we shall not be moved’, instead of meeting half way. 

We'll see, going to be an interesting wind up to this window. I'm happy as a pig in shite right now with what we have done, from here on in anything else is a bonus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

There is no way on earth part of Olllie Watkins conditions for joining us was he'd be guaranteed starts, it's a bit of a silly notion some people have when you buy players. Maybe it happens with some loans but then maybe (Thank **** it wasn't in Drinkwaters!)

This was a part of douglas luiz's contract

It's hard to grade a window when before the season is over, but it looks very good so far.

In terms of positions we need covering, I feel we still need a LB, striker and CB, but this is something we can do over several windows. 

I'd like another winger this window though, cause I think we're short on quality there. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Was that not visa related, i.e. he had to play a certain number of games? 

We had to be able to prove he'd be an integral part of the squad in order for him to gain his work permit. It was more to do with the transfer fee in relation to the average amount we'd pay for transfers at that time though, which at the time was something like the third or fourth highest we'd ever paid for anyone. The idea was that we wouldn't pay such a high price for a squad player.

• Like 1