Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Firstly, you have traore down twice. 

Covers both positions and didn't count him twice

Window has been excellent. Coaching staff might not be writing off some players like many fans are. Dean said we're not going to stockpile players. 

People thinking another marquee signing that can cover front 3 is coming in are going to be disappointed imo as I think we're done for business

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we've got 2 more signings in us. A forward player and someone that can cover both GK and RB.

Where would the forward play though? and a GK that can cover RB as well?!

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No way King is in the mix. Front 6 is Luiz McGinn Barkley Traore Watkins Grealish then backup Hourihane Nakamba Davis AEG Trez covers. 

King and Benrahma won't displace that 6 and will want guaranteed minutes. It's not happening

If Watkins get’s injured next week, would you be comfortable with Davis at CF until January? The only other option at the moment is Traoré which leaves us short of a RW with pace. Ok a few games might be alright but it’s a lot of games until January. Plus the fact that January is generally a difficult time to buy, especially when everyone knows you’re desperate. I believe we are still in for a striker or inside forward/LW. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we've got 2 more signings in us. A forward player and someone that can cover both GK and RB.

No sure about rush keepers, pretty expensive. 

• Haha 2

I keep reading about our front six. It seems like the Villa hierarchy are listening to the government’s advice about a "rule of 6". 

What I like about them is, the front three can interchange and play anywhere across that end of the pitch and the middle three can do the same in their area so have a lot of flexibility outside of the defensive third, which is great. 

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No way King is in the mix. Front 6 is Luiz McGinn Barkley Traore Watkins Grealish then backup Hourihane Nakamba Davis AEG Trez covers. 

King and Benrahma won't displace that 6 and will want guaranteed minutes. It's not happening

Yes that’s our six best options right now, I don’t know why you think we wouldn’t sign another player of equal or better quality for competition/rotation.

We know where our owners want to go, we won’t get there with AEG on the bench. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Okonokos said:

I had no idea that was the time! That's what self isolation does to you. You lose track of space and time!

Are you by any chance

infinity war avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

He keeps losing his gems.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Now that's really not true, but if it makes you feel better saying it so be it. I'll be delighted if he signs but won't lose any sleep over it if he doesn't.

Agree it's been a great window for the club and I'm really optimistic about the season. 

It may well not be true.

Fwiw, I don't think wages would be a problem in any negotiations with us and the player. (Rashica)

Yes he would want better than what he is already on at Bremen and I don't think it would be a problem if we offered double what he is on now, but I'm guessing whatever you have read or heard about it being a deciding factor in any deal is probably aload of bollocks by a half arsed journalist.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

The striker injury scenario can also be played out at other positions like CB.  There are only so many players you can bring in and still maintain a harmonious squad.  Having quality players who are not getting game time creates other challenges. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Let's try this scenario. (Hyopethically speaking)

5 games time (the window has long closed) Watkins pulls up and is out for 8 games... we move Traore up front for now then. That leaves us only Trezeguet on the right and Elmo as cover? 

What happens if Trezeguet also becomes injured in that time? We suddenly have to either play with Davis as striker with no suitable back up... or sacrifice ourselves in other positions to plug holes in other areas... do you get where I am going with this?

My point is, it would be naive of us to go into this season with the same problem as last season and it proved very costly.

We need another striker and another AML to give us more strength in depth combined with quality.

If we can find a player that fits both those positions then we are laughing.

So far we have seen that Rashica and Sarr are two examples of players that would work and DS also confirms we are looking for someone who can ideally fit this criteria.

Do the same with Liverpool. Mane Firmino Salah. What's the backup? Brewster said to be loan likely Origi and Minimoto. Are Liverpool fans going nuts about hypothetical injuries? Probably not. This is nonsense Football Manager thinking not based in the real post Covid world besides the FFP factor

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

The striker injury scenario can also be played out at other positions like CB.  There are only so many players you can bring in and still maintain a harmonious squad.  Having quality players who are not getting game time creates other challenges. 

It's healthy competition that keeps everyone on their toes and fighting for the shirt in those positions.

47 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Covers both positions and didn't count him twice

Window has been excellent. Coaching staff might not be writing off some players like many fans are. Dean said we're not going to stockpile players. 

People thinking another marquee signing that can cover front 3 is coming in are going to be disappointed imo as I think we're done for business

rachel dratch television GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do the same with Liverpool. Mane Firmino Salah. What's the backup? Brewster said to be loan likely Origi and Minimoto. Are Liverpool fans going nuts about hypothetical injuries? Probably not. This is nonsense Football Manager thinking not based in the real post Covid world besides the FFP factor

What the hell has the goings on at Liverpool got to do with Aston Villa and our situation..?

Don't divert away by rolling out some football manager bullshit as it's just a very weak cop out.

Listen, you've got your head in the sand thinking we will not see injuries, suspensions and fatigue kick in at some stage, but it's fine. 

You're happy to plug holes and make do with what we have, others disagree and realise improvement wouldn't be frowned upon if it means avoiding the same mistakes as last season if those scenarios were to pan out once again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's healthy competition that keeps everyone on their toes and fighting for the shirt in those positions.

It’s so obvious I really don’t get why this needs to be said - or generates such a negative reaction when it is. 

Far better players than we have accept rotation in their squads because they want to play for a successful team. If we want success we need more players with similar quality and mindset. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think @Okonokos Was arguing, but answering the question that was put to him, and I agree with him.

Also, how anyone can assume we sell a striker and replace him with a central midfielder is quite baffling.

Before Samatta was sold we were looking at needing a ST, AML and talking of trying to also strengthen in central midfield too.

Now Samatta has gone we still need two players for the void of a striker and also an attacking midfielder - We're looking at someone who can play both those positions!

I read it the same as @Okonokos

Samatta left only once we’d signed Traore, I think he’s covering Samatta’s ST place in the squad ??

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

Samatta left only once we’d signed Traore, I think he’s covering Samatta’s ST place in the squad ??

Smith has since came out issueing the 'one short and a player who can play in both' statement after Traore was signed.

• Like 1