Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I think we will hold on to some money for January. I also think that is a sensible thing to do. Additions then will give a boost to players.

Whilst I understand the theory of keeping some money back I’m not sure it’s always useful. January is a difficult window to buy in and is generally characterised by lots of panic buys to plug gaps. Ok we may have gaps to plug, who knows, but I think Brian Little said years ago that he’d made the mistake of waiting for January only to find that good and available were very scarce. 

If we need players in January it won’t be money stopping us buying them. It makes no difference to FFP if we spend now or then. Actually having the money to spend is also not a problem to us. We’ve got so much of the stuff we even bought a player called Cash. 

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Targett has a better season purely as a result of changes around him. We shall see.

Was first Villa player I got in Fantasy even with first week bye because of Watkins factor. I've still got faith but he looks a bit... pudgy. Before Fulham game was loads of posts that McGinn needed to be dropped then near MOTM. Hoping we beat Liverplop and Targett scores injury time winner

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes but if we've only X amount left to spend there is some logic to holding it back for Jan and spending it where needed.

With the greatest of respect I don't really understand that position unless it is a player we have targeted which we can't get now but perhaps in January.

Make the squad as strong as possible now to make Villa as best as we can be. The better we do the more matches we will be televised and the higher the league position we will finish, which is millions of pounds of potential extra revenue. Which is even more imporant as we have no match day money coming in.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

With the greatest of respect I don't really understand that position unless it is a player we have targeted which we can't get now but perhaps in January.

Make the squad as strong as possible now to make Villa as best as we can be. The better we do the more matches we will be televised and the higher the league position we will finish, which is millions of pounds of potential extra revenue. Which is even more imporant as we have no match day money coming in.

Not saying it’s the approach I would take just that there is some logic to it.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

To compare our squad to Chelsea’s embarrassment of riches is missing the point. They’re a very well established top PL team and have a squad to match.

We’re a team that just stayed up but with ambitious owners who want to progress to where teams like Chelsea are. They’ve put an infrastructure in place that will help us grow organically in future years but for the here and now they need to also use their financial muscle in the market place. 

If the plan is to just have an excellent 11 that all play almost every week it just ain’t gonna happen. It’s not 1981, sadly. More recently MON’s failure to use a squad properly exposed him as the one dimensional manager he was.

Modern players realise that they’re part of a squad. Of course they want to play every game, I’d be concerned about any player that didn’t, but it’s part of the skill set of coaches these days to manage this expectation and motivate the whole squad, not just 11. 

I always fancied the idea of being the substitute goalkeeper. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Unknown quantity ITK speculation over MOTM last game written off the week before. Embarrassing fickleness

Ease up on your emotional outbursts mate. 

we all love Ginny, however if we get anymore signings, someone is going to get dropped. if we get a LW such as sarr  or Rashica, that would mean Grealish would Move to the centre with someone making way, the most likely candidate is John 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

You do know you don't have to play the same 11 every game don't you?

Ridiculous throwaway line. How often did Liverpool play the same XI for the bulk of last season barring injury/suspension?

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There is a lot of talk about LB as one of our remaining issues, personally I don't see it being something we address in this window. If we bring in another player they will be a forward/wide forward in my opinion.

In terms of Targett/Taylor and the left back slot it is now probably our weakest area of the side so I do think it will need addressing at some point.

I do wonder though if we will see some improvement in performances from Targett due to the general improvement in the team. 

At times last season we relied heavily on him getting forward but you would hope with better players ahead of him we aren't so dependent upon him for this, plus I think Cash on the right will share more of this burden than our RB's last season.

But I also think that having Barkley rather than Hourihane in front of him and potentially Luiz a little deeper will give him so much more protection and stop teams hitting those diagonal balls across the pitch quite so easily.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Targett has a better season purely as a result of changes around him. We shall see.

Agree, also.....

Let’s assume the target (pardon the pun) for the current squad gets us to 10-12 this year.  Why buy a LB now when we’ll have better quality LB’s willing to join, next year, when we’ll be targeting Europe?

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ridiculous throwaway line. How often did Liverpool play the same XI for the bulk of last season barring injury/suspension?

Don't Liverpool rotate their midfield three nearly every game? And the fans were crying out for better backups to the front three, which is why they have signed Jota now.

Edited by Okonokos

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ease up on your emotional outbursts mate. 

we all love Ginny, however if we get anymore signings, someone is going to get dropped. if we get a LW such as sarr  or Rashica, that would mean Grealish would Move to the centre with someone making way, the most likely candidate is John 

Sarr played whole of last season RW and was gash most of it. This just explains to me the ridiculous hype train of players that people didn't  follow at all

• Haha 1