Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rather Traore. Kind of bored by this Rashica saga

Beat me to it, if you stick Traore in there it still looks amazing compared to last season and is actually something we do with the players that wear The shirt...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

-------------------------Watkins------------------------
Grealish-------------------------------------Rashica
----------------McGinn-----Barkley-----------------
---------------------------Luiz-----------------------------
Targett-------Mings-----Konsa-----------Cash
-------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------Martinez-------------------------

CAN YOU IMAGINE. 

Seeing it in paper like this really makes me realise how theres one player that sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of how I rate them.

Targett is a big weak link to me. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuine question, what's the difference between a no.8 and a no.10?

If Barkley is the 8, does that mean McGinn is the 10 playing further up the pitch?

We don’t play with a traditional “number 10” type on the pitch.

I think Barkley will be the central midfielder who looks to get forward more (a “number 8”) with McGinn behind him and Luiz as the holding mid... assuming they are our starting central midfielders!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Great post. This is especially true when you're not going for the league title or top 4 or a long Champions League run. And even then, just like Chelsea, you get quality players' wanting out because of limited opportunities. Like Barkley.

To compare our squad to Chelsea’s embarrassment of riches is missing the point. They’re a very well established top PL team and have a squad to match.

We’re a team that just stayed up but with ambitious owners who want to progress to where teams like Chelsea are. They’ve put an infrastructure in place that will help us grow organically in future years but for the here and now they need to also use their financial muscle in the market place. 

If the plan is to just have an excellent 11 that all play almost every week it just ain’t gonna happen. It’s not 1981, sadly. More recently MON’s failure to use a squad properly exposed him as the one dimensional manager he was.

Modern players realise that they’re part of a squad. Of course they want to play every game, I’d be concerned about any player that didn’t, but it’s part of the skill set of coaches these days to manage this expectation and motivate the whole squad, not just 11. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rondon is complete mud. I assume this is a joke reference to a crap signing? 

IF we had to go down the “emergency loan” route, Rondon would be a very decent shout. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Seeing it in paper like this really makes me realise how theres one player that sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of how I rate them.

Targett is a big weak link to me. 

I don’t think Targett is a bad player, but Rico Henry would potentially be a huge upgrade. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuine question, what's the difference between a no.8 and a no.10?

If Barkley is the 8, does that mean McGinn is the 10 playing further up the pitch?

Unlikely we will play with a typical No 10 unless Jack comes back into midfield neither Barkley or SJM are a No 10, can see Barkley and SJM kinda alternating the 8 role going to be interesting how DS get the best out of both of them.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If the plan is to just have an excellent 11 that all play almost every week it just ain’t gonna happen. It’s not 1981, sadly.

Modern players realise that they’re part of a squad. Of course they want to play every game, I’d be concerned about any player that didn’t, but it’s part of the skill set of coaches these days to manage this expectation and motivate the whole squad, not just 11. 

But you don't need to go back to 1981, Nuno at Wolves did almost exactly this just last season.

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:
4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Unlikely we will play with a typical No 10 unless Jack comes back into midfield neither Barkley or SJM are a No 10, can see Barkley and SJM kinda alternating the 8 role going to be interesting how DS get the best out of both of them.

Smith said he likes to play with 2 no 8

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

But you don't need to go back to 1981, Nuno at Wolves did almost exactly this just last season.

And also, it wasn't a coincidence that United started playing well when they consistently picked the same XI most weeks (towards back end of the season).

Whilst I recognise the need for a squad, I also think a lot can be said for playing the same XI week in week out if nobody is injured and we're playing well. No need to rotate if you don't have to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/01/exclusive-emile-heskey-on-whether-aston-villa-should-sell-el-ghazi-and-trezeguet/

VT: " What's the purpose of this post JV "

Me: " Because some people wake up wanting to know what Emile Heskey thinks! "

Yeah cheers Emile. Let’s move two of our only four wingers on. That’s not likely to lead to disaster is it mate. 

• Haha 1

Hardly any team in this day and age play with someone in the 'No.10' position; No.10 type players exist, but they're usually deployed as 'wingers' or 'wide-forwards', certainly it's very rare to see them as part of a three man midfield, most teams play with a DM and then two box-to-box type midfielders.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

And also, it wasn't a coincidence that United started playing well when they consistently picked the same XI most weeks (towards back end of the season).

Whilst I recognise the need for a squad, I also think a lot can be said for playing the same XI week in week out if nobody is injured and we're playing well. No need to rotate if you don't have to. 

There’s definitely some merit in that. Just have to make sure that there’s some rotation so the team don’t suffer from burnout, like MON’s teams often did. 

• Thanks 1

Best 11/18 with everyone fit;

Martinez, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Barkley, Grealish, Traore, Watkins.

Heaton, Elmohammey, Hause, Nakamba, Hourahane, Trezeguet, Wesley.

Players ok as back up; Steer, Guilbert, Engels, Ramsey (who could nick a place on the bench before long), Davis. Possibly Taylor

So that's 23/24

The bench is full of players that can do a job but no real game changers, and then when you consider the probability of injuries i certainly think we could still do with another attacking player, probably someone who can play in any of the three positions being best but otherwise probably left side.

Rashica still would be the best option but i think Benrahma or King are more likely but i'd take either of them at this point, they would be an improvement on El Ghazi, Jota, Davis and Trez for sure. I also think that if we could offload Taylor and get someone to compete better with Targett that would be a bonus.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Hardly any team in this day and age play with someone in the 'No.10' position; No.10 type players exist, but they're usually deployed as 'wingers' or 'wide-forwards', certainly it's very rare to see them as part of a three man midfield, most teams play with a DM and then two box-to-box type midfielders.

Unless your Southgate and you play with 5 DM's. 

• Haha 1