Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Just now, bickster said:

She's lived in the UK since the age of 2, what country do you think she's from?

Totally - She was younger in age than when Sir Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah came to call these shores home and he’s accepted as ‘British’  

She’s no Gregg Rusedski or Lennox Lewis! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Born in Canada to parents who are Romanian and Chinese.

Claiming her as a Brit is a bit flakey isn’t it? 

Boris Johnson (Prime Bunter), Andrew Strauss, Nasser Hussain (former England Captains) and myriad others were born outside the UK, but are still British.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Born in Canada to parents who are Romanian and Chinese.

Claiming her as a Brit is a bit flakey isn’t it? 

I don't think it's us claiming her at all. Presumably she'd be eligible for 4 citizenships but is competing for the only country she'd ever have considered a permanent home. We just got lucky that her British identity won through.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

Boris Johnson (Prime Bunter), Andrew Strauss, Nasser Hussain (former England Captains) and myriad others were born outside the UK, but are still British.

To British parents or parent? 
I don’t want to rain on the parade, I was just surprised to learn she wasn’t born here and neither were both of her parents.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Pretty much 90% of people in England came from somewhere else at some point in history.  When do you become British? 

When you’re a foreigner and win something 😛

• Haha 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Whoo easy there Nigel 

I know that’s what I was opening myself up to :D

Usually nationality is determined by place of birth, or then the place of birth of the parents if say born in another country like a serving soldier for example.
Hence why I said it was a bit flakey. She’s  lived here a while and she’s won so we’ll take her :lol: 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I thought it would probably upset Raducanu more. She was down and had to serve an absolutely crucial serve after a long delay.  That's some pressure, it was break point and I'm sure she didn't want a big delay before her serve. Could easily double fault or serve poorly with all that on you. 

Remarkable composure really. 

I thought Emma showed great mental strength throughout. She was playing games, getting into Fernandez’ head. Every time they had the rest prior to changing ends, Emma always got up before the umpire called time. It was just a little thing, but it always showed she was ready, even when lost a match.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Dickovic stuck on 20 majors with Federer and Nadal. Only a matter of time I guess would be great if they all ended up with the same numbers.

He didnt look right last night. Maybe not used to having the crowd behind him. Its usually the other way around especially in the US open. The clock is ticking. These next gen players hit the ball so hard. Next year will be the last for Djokovic or Nadal to add to their major total. 

Â