Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

16 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The last player to win the Men’s singles other than Federer, Djokovic, Nadal or Murray was Leighton Hewitt back in 2002!

20 championship years dominated by 4 players - that’s unreal.

as for the result, Djokovic deserved it and both spoke well after the game.

Well he has had enough practice to be fair.

• Like 1

could really do with the next generation actually stepping up. Not including Zverev in this as he's never going to win a slam, but Medvedev on hard courts should be a threat, and Alcaraz I think is going to be a big threat. But there's not much else out there at the moment. Tsitipas, maybe but again mental fragility there. Still more than capable of being dumped out of a slam in the first week as much as he can go to the final. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well he has had enough practice to be fair.

Djokovic gets a lot of stick off tennis fans, and yes, he can be a little odd at times. However he always speaks well regardless of the result post match.

I feel the problem for him is he’s not as charming as Federer or as ‘hunky’ as Nadal, his two main comparable rivals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

could really do with the next generation actually stepping up. Not including Zverev in this as he's never going to win a slam, but Medvedev on hard courts should be a threat, and Alcaraz I think is going to be a big threat. But there's not much else out there at the moment. Tsitipas, maybe but again mental fragility there. Still more than capable of being dumped out of a slam in the first week as much as he can go to the final. 

Completely agree, same with the woman's game now that Serena has all but retired it’ll become a free-for-all with any number of players capable of winning slams. 

much more exciting and unpredictable 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

As it stands, Federer is finished, Nadal is on his last legs and Djokovic is barred from the US Open and Australian so plenty of chance for the so called nextgen to win a lot more and eventually take over. Sinner looks a prospect as well. Medvedev is 26 so hardly young. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Raducanu out of the US Open in the 1st round. Not a great 12 months for her after her great win last year. Will drop to about 80 in the rankings now. 

There is a feeling she hasn't been managed very well and the people in charge of her are more interested in monetising her instead of putting her tennis needs first. £18m earned in 12 months, most of it off the court confirm that! Still, good to make hay while you can. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Raducanu out of the US Open in the 1st round. Not a great 12 months for her after her great win last year. Will drop to about 80 in the rankings now. 

There is a feeling she hasn't been managed very well and the people in charge of her are more interested in monetising her instead of putting her tennis needs first. £18m earned in 12 months, most of it off the court confirm that! Still, good to make hay while you can. 

Flash in the pan. 

• Like 1

Yeah she seems to be getting a lot of stick for it (not on here) which I find really strange.

If her level really is a lot lower than we thought it might be after that win, then it makes that win even more impressive, not less.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah she seems to be getting a lot of stick for it (not on here) which I find really strange.

If her level really is a lot lower than we thought it might be after that win, then it makes that win even more impressive, not less.

A Thomas Johansson of this era. 15 year career 9 titles and 1 Australian open. Still really impressive, set for life, and not everyone can be a Federer/Nadal/Djokovic

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2022 at 22:47, Tomaszk said:

Never seen a prospect like Alcaraz in any sport. Absolutely out of this world.

I think he'll really trouble the winner of Djokovic and Rafa. (Probably sadly Djok)

Pleased to have got plenty of cash on him at juicy ante-post grand slam prices in January :)

1 down. 22 to go

Absolutely incredible athlete. If he stays fit and learns when to not charge the net quite so much we could be looking at a "big 1".

I just can't see anyone touching him. Ability, mindset, balls in big points. Not a hole in his technical game, just the odd tactical misstep.

Seems a lovely kid as well. Will become the youngest #1 ever tomorrow. Over a year younger than Hewitt in 2004. Rafa would be the only 19 year old in history anywhere near him.

8/9 Slams in the 90s was ungodly impressive so of course it doesn't matter if he doesn't hit those heights. I think he has a chance though.

Goes down as one of greats but not the best for me, that has to be between Djokovic and Nadal, leaning more towards Djokovic purely for dominance across all surfaces rather than Nadals absolute dominance at the French Open.

If Djokovic hadn’t messed about with the vaccine he could easily be clear on grand slam wins at this point.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Goes down as one of greats but not the best for me, that has to be between Djokovic and Nadal, leaning more towards Djokovic purely for dominance across all surfaces rather than Nadals absolute dominance at the French Open.

If Djokovic hadn’t messed about with the vaccine he could easily be clear on grand slam wins at this point.

I'd have Fed higher than Nadal personally. Nadals dominance on Clay skews his slam record. 

But it's probably impossible to pick between them. The period of slowing down the courts to turn tennis into monster slogging matches really harmed Fed for years and he only came back after they began a reversal of that 

Â