Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Might have down this one before , but was on holiday one Christmas in Dubai , went for a walk around the hotel grounds with Mrs H and could hear someone hitting tennis balls and making a lot of grunting and obvious effort … said to Mrs H bit excessive , does he think he’s Rodger Federer or something … walk a round the corner , and there’s Federer being put  through his paces by his coach :)

He  finished his training and then posed for photos , gave away his spare shirts and stuff and  signed tennis balls for everyone , seemed a really nice bloke .

I’d rank him as the best ever , then Djokovic then Nadal , but tbh with all three of them I don’t think there is a wrong answer if you ranked any of them in first .

• Like 1

It does help that he isn't a rocket polisher like Djokovic and are less rumours of doping than Nadal.

People often forget that he was 5/6 years older than these two. Its remarkable he was in the mix for so long. He started winning grand slams when players like Agassi and Sampras were still around. He was regularly beating world class players 10-15 years young than him right up to a couple of years ago.

Such a watchable player. Difficult to say who is the greatest (amateur/professional era cost Laver a huge amount of titles, players often didn't bother going to Australian open etc) but has to be right up there.  The one record I think that will be really hard to break is the 36 consecutive quarter finals or better in the slams. That shows remarkable consistency and being healthy for so long.

Edited by The Fun Factory

39 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It does help that he isn't a rocket polisher like Djokovic and are less rumours of doping than Nadal.

People often forget that he was 5/6 years older than these two. Its remarkable he was in the mix for so long. He started winning grand slams when players like Agassi and Sampras were still around. He was regularly beating world class players 10-15 years young than him right up to a couple of years ago.

Such a watchable player. Difficult to say who is the greatest (amateur/professional era cost Laver a huge amount of titles, players often didn't bother going to Australian open etc) but has to be right up there.  The one record I think that will be really hard to break is the 36 consecutive quarter finals or better in the slams. That shows remarkable consistency and being healthy for so long.

What is so overlooked is how all the courts were slowed down year after year so there would be less short points with so many aces and more rallies and longer points. They did this by changing the surfaces and balls over time, they would bounce higher and thus slower. This moved the sport to the endurance realm which benefitted Djokovic and Nadal. So as Federer got older they also change the sport away from his strengths as an ultra attacking player trying to hit winners towards the defensive players like Nole/Rafa. They reversed that then to a degree because the sport was being dominated by those two in particular in every tournament. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Murray with an outstanding win against Berrettini, 5 sets, final set tie break 5 hours, was 2 sets up and still won. Very impressive. Real test of his body to see how it holds up, but delighted for him. His opponents current match has been delayed by a rain delay so he may get a bit of help from that if it gets delayed to tomorrow

• Like 1

Simply astonishing. Probably toast in the next.round but the sheer joy and thrill of competing to win games like that must make it worthwhile. 

Almost a total great day but sadly novax didn't retire. Nevermind.

Well done Murray, great comeback. The scheduling is farcical though. Could you imagine a match going on at 4 am local time at Wimbledon ? I think midnight max and then you go again the next day. No reason they can’t start the tournament on the Saturday of the weekend they open if they are pushed for time. 4 am finish, he’ll go straight to do his media as he’s obligated to do, he’ll have to warm down, get a bit to eat and then try and sleep with his adrenaline jacked. Probably be almost 6 am . Ridiculous 

Murray’s match today was phenomenal. I still can’t believe he came back to win that. 

At his age, after his injuries, to play for that long and at that time of the night is incredible

• Like 4

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Murray was on top form today, must be well over any injuries.

As for Emma yesterday, I didn't think she looked as fit as she usually is. Out in straight sets against a random, who knows what has happened to her game.

Gauff debuted at Wimbledon at 15. French open finalist and US Open quarter finalist. Only 18. Not exactly a randomer. I think radacanu struck lightning for those 2 weeks when she won that slam. She doesn’t seem that dedicated or invested to be honest. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Gauff debuted at Wimbledon at 15. French open finalist and US Open quarter finalist. Only 18. Not exactly a randomer. I think radacanu struck lightning for those 2 weeks when she won that slam. She doesn’t seem that dedicated or invested to be honest. 

I would disagree. She won the US at a stupidly early stage of her career and has spent the last 18 months building up her physicality. She just needs to stop getting niggly injuries and stick to one coach. The women's game is very open at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if she has a decent run at one of the slams this year, perhaps Wimbledon.

Â