Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Murray was on top form today, must be well over any injuries.

As for Emma yesterday, I didn't think she looked as fit as she usually is. Out in straight sets against a random, who knows what has happened to her game.

Emma rolled her ankle badly in a match at the ASB Classic in New Zealand, an event took place a week before the Aussie Open. Injuries are her biggest enemy at this point as she just can't stop getting hurt. Her entire 2022 season was derailed due to constant injuries and issues as well.   

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would disagree. She won the US at a stupidly early stage of her career and has spent the last 18 months building up her physicality. She just needs to stop getting niggly injuries and stick to one coach. The women's game is very open at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if she has a decent run at one of the slams this year, perhaps Wimbledon.

The coach thing should not be that difficult and Radacanu’s problems in nailing one down, and how public the whole thing is - is kinda worrying. Williams sisters, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic  its seamless when they have or change a coach. No noise. It’s a massively magnified issue with Radacanu though. I’m not sure she is as good as people want her to be or think she is. She got quite a favourable draw when she won it ( still won it, fair play to her ) but Gauff beating Radacanu is no even remotely surprising. Gauff is a better player. Better form consistently over 2 years. 

16 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Gauff debuted at Wimbledon at 15. French open finalist and US Open quarter finalist. Only 18. Not exactly a randomer. I think radacanu struck lightning for those 2 weeks when she won that slam. She doesn’t seem that dedicated or invested to be honest. 

Bit harsh I think. Gauff has been in increasingly good form certainly at the back end of last year I think and in the second set Raducanu pushed her close. If anything she was finally looking a bit more like that girl who won the US Open. I think young people on tour get a tough beat really when you consider how often they struggle with injury at that age. Jack Draper - looks like a next big talent but he's still struggled to maintain his fitness to hold up against the rigours of competition. He got a set off Nadal in R1 and looked good. 

Though I do think there's something funny / weird going on with all the coaching changes for ER. Get the sense her dad or someone is a bit too involved in stuff like that

Also, if ER never wins a slam again I hardly think it would make her a failure ( not that anyone has said that directly ). The women's game is far too up and down - in a making things interesting way I guess. Obviously there's one or two like Swiatek at the moment who will rack up the titles, but you'll get far more one time winners of slams in the womens than the mens.

I think she'll maintain a successful career, might win a few regular titles, might be regular top 20 once things settle down, maybe top 40. Who knows. But too early to think she's not invested. ( imo )

ER has won the jackpot already. £15m of non court earnings last year. She's lapping up every sponsorship and who can blame her! I'd do the same! 

She did great to win a major and you might as well milk it as it may never happen again. 

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

0430 am finish and we complain about 8pm kick offs on a Thursday

Yep 35 and he’ll be playing again tomorrow.

Footballers are a bunch of pansies! 

Before the issues with these crazy long night finishes i also remember years ago lots of players pulling out of the tournament through heat exhaustion from the day sessions so what can they do . How long does Australia’s summer last ? What’s in like in February ? Moving it probably not an option, the ATP and WTA have huge contracts signed with sponsors for all those tournaments between the slams. 

We are entering a strange stage in male tennis. Roger gone, Rafa is beaten down and on his last legs. Djokovic will probably be here for a while yet. We’ll never see the like again. I think you will see the grandslams become scattered around without no real dominance. Alcaraz, Rune, Tsitsipas, Sinner, Alliasime  will likely be the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Before the issues with these crazy long night finishes i also remember years ago lots of players pulling out of the tournament through heat exhaustion from the day sessions so what can they do . How long does Australia’s summer last ? What’s in like in February ? Moving it probably not an option, the ATP and WTA have huge contracts signed with sponsors for all those tournaments between the slams. 

Well they have the heat rule now at least. They can start the slam on the Saturday or Sunday instead of the Monday. That would help spread it a little and once the first 2 rounds are complete there's more space in the schedule for sensible planning. Starting an afternoon evening session at 5pm etc.

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

We are entering a strange stage in male tennis. Roger gone, Rafa is beaten down and on his last legs. Djokovic will probably be here for a while yet. We’ll never see the like again. I think you will see the grandslams become scattered around without no real dominance. Alcaraz, Rune, Tsitsipas, Sinner, Alliasime  will likely be the future.

A bit like the womens once Serena was finished. 

21 hours ago, Daweii said:

Emma rolled her ankle badly in a match at the ASB Classic in New Zealand, an event took place a week before the Aussie Open. Injuries are her biggest enemy at this point as she just can't stop getting hurt. Her entire 2022 season was derailed due to constant injuries and issues as well.   

Fitness?

13 hours ago, jim said:

Yep 35 and he’ll be playing again tomorrow.

Footballers are a bunch of pansies! 

He looks completely ****ed for it and he’s struggling to play on a metal hip. Injuries have ruined his late career. Forcing athletes to destroy their bodies and live the rest of their lives with chronic pain is dumb… and Murray has complained about the scheduling.

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He looks completely ****ed for it and he’s struggling to play on a metal hip. Injuries have ruined his late career. Forcing athletes to destroy their bodies and live the rest of their lives with chronic pain is dumb… and Murray has complained about the scheduling.

He doesn't have to carry on if he doesn't want to. He will never reach the heights of his peak but he is such a competitor that he can't let go. Frankly it is a miracle he is still playing at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He doesn't have to carry on if he doesn't want to. He will never reach the heights of his peak but he is such a competitor that he can't let go. Frankly it is a miracle he is still playing at all.

Of course he doesn’t, was just replying to armchair warrior calling professional athletes pansies for not wanting to destroy their bodies by the age of 30

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Nobody is forcing Andy Murray to play tennis. He’s not on the breadline. He won’t be signing on Monday morning. They’ve played night sessions in Melbourne for years as a result of PLAYERS complaining about the heat during the day. No match ever ran as late as 4 am. If Andy has problems with such things then he needs to control the controlables. Stop getting involved in gruelling 5 setters and get off court quicker. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Nobody is forcing Andy Murray to play tennis. He’s not on the breadline. He won’t be signing on Monday morning. They’ve played night sessions in Melbourne for years as a result of PLAYERS complaining about the heat during the day. No match ever ran as late as 4 am. If Andy has problems with such things then he needs to control the controlables. Stop getting involved in gruelling 5 setters and get off court quicker. 

You’re missing the point.

What’s unnecessary is not having a finish time. Just add an extra day or two to the schedule, finish at 1am (or whenever), and then restart the following day.

And I don’t think he planned to get involved in back to back gruelling 5 setters ffs.

There’s a reason so many tennis players retire young, disappear for months on end, or just lose interest.

The money argument is such bullshit as well. People say the same thing about footballers. There’s a limit to what even elite athletes can do, and everyone loses out, because when they’re knackered they don’t perform and get injured.

But it’s not a bullshit point. Don’t be an expert after the event is all im saying. Were every one of these players aware pre tournament that games scheduled for a night session would play to a finish ? Yes . It’s Australia mid summer FFS, floodlight and not gonna get rained off. If you are armed with all of this knowledge pre tournament, knowing that it has the potential to happen and knowing his body and it’s limitations and where he’s at - don’t cry foul then.  Can’t have it every way. 

Edited by Johnnyp

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

But it’s not a bullshit point. Don’t be an expert after the event is all im saying. Were every one of these players aware pre tournament that games scheduled for a night session would play to a finish ? Yes . It’s Australia mid summer FFS, floodlight and not gonna get rained off. If you are armed with all of this knowledge pre tournament, knowing that it has the potential to happen and knowing his body and it’s limitations and where he’s at - don’t cry foul then.  Can’t have it every way. 

Well yeah, obviously there's only one set of Grand Slams, and he's a professional tennis player, so he doesn't have much choice if he wants to play elite tennis. What he's saying is that it's an avoidable problem, and all the players complain about these late finishes (which don't happen at Wimbledon btw, and don't seem to make the tournament any worse). Nadal has complained about the same thing at the French Open. It's been a running theme for years, hardly wise after the event.

They're human beings at the end of the day, give them a chance to give their best. It just didn't look like Murray was capable of offering up the same as he did in the previous two games

I just don't understand why sports fans want to see their favourite players worked into the ground to the point that they have chronic injuries and retire young, when it's not necessary or even good to watch. It makes the game a worse spectacle when half the players are crocked.

The gruelling 5-set format is of course part of the game, and we love a good epic. Just give them an extra day off or something.

• Like 1

Â