Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Well yeah, obviously there's only one set of Grand Slams, and he's a professional tennis player, so he doesn't have much choice if he wants to play elite tennis. What he's saying is that it's an avoidable problem, and all the players complain about these late finishes (which don't happen at Wimbledon btw, and don't seem to make the tournament any worse). Nadal has complained about the same thing at the French Open. It's been a running theme for years, hardly wise after the event.

They're human beings at the end of the day, give them a chance to give their best. It just didn't look like Murray was capable of offering up the same as he did in the previous two games

I just don't understand why sports fans want to see their favourite players worked into the ground to the point that they have chronic injuries and retire young, when it's not necessary or even good to watch. It makes the game a worse spectacle when half the players are crocked.

The gruelling 5-set format is of course part of the game, and we love a good epic. Just give them an extra day off or something.

The late finishes don’t happen at Wimbledon because they don’t have the heat they get during the day sessions in Australia. Play had to be suspended the other day due to heat. Night sessions were brought in to combat this. Players championed it. A 4 am finish is an anomaly, shouldn’t happen. I personally think nothing should go past midnight. People got work the next day etc. 

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The late finishes don’t happen at Wimbledon because they don’t have the heat they get during the day sessions in Australia. Play had to be suspended the other day due to heat. Night sessions were brought in to combat this. Players championed it. A 4 am finish is an anomaly, shouldn’t happen. I personally think nothing should go past midnight. People got work the next day etc. 

The late finishes don't happen at Wimbledon because there's an 11pm curfew from the local council. They happen at the other slams, although not as insanely late as the Aus. You can have evening sessions without 4am finishes, just add more days on. They cram it in so they can fit stupid tour events that nobody gives a shit about into the schedule.

And the other point Murray was making was that the balls were dud, so the rallies dragged on because it was hard to hit winners, which is partly why there's been so many long matches.

I don't think he was whinging, I watched his interview after the Bautista Agut game, and he just looked a bit broken. It's the combination of the late finish and then having to play again a couple of days later.

Word on Murray by the way. Phenomenal career. 3 time grand slam winner is no mean feat. Got into 7 other slam finals. He’d of won a fair chunk of the 5 he lost in Australia if he didn’t run into Djokovic ( greatest player to ever play at the Australian open in my opinion ) No slight on him when i say this but very tactical player. Very attritional, didn’t have the natural tennis ability of a federer or nadal ( though who did ) Murray literally played every point on its own merit. 

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The late finishes don't happen at Wimbledon because there's an 11pm curfew from the local council. They happen at the other slams, although not as insanely late as the Aus. You can have evening sessions without 4am finishes, just add more days on. They cram it in so they can fit stupid tour events that nobody gives a shit about into the schedule.

And the other point Murray was making was that the balls were dud, so the rallies dragged on because it was hard to hit winners, which is partly why there's been so many long matches.

I don't think he was whinging, I watched his interview after the Bautista Agut game, and he just looked a bit broken. It's the combination of the late finish and then having to play again a couple of days later.

Yeah i get that . It was a highly competitive match but Bautista Agut just better on the day. The downside for Murray when he enters slams these days is his ranking is so low he’s going to run into seeded players much earlier. The fact he took out berretini, at 35 and patched up basically , is a mark of the player he is. I think 2023 is the last we see of Murray and Nadal. If Nadal plays Roland Garros and can’t win or doesn't get to at least the semis - think he calls it a day. If he wins it he’ll wrap up end of year. Djokovic here for another 2-3 years. He’s a freak. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The problem with scheduling this year was because of extreme weather events at the start of the tournament that reduced the available play time.  

• Like 1

Could be set up for De Minaur later on. 23, seriously fit - reminds me a lot of Hewitt in that he has no outstanding shot in his arsenal but solid game. Will be a massively partisan crowd. Needs to be careful not to get dragged into the Djokovic head ****-y when he starts going on about injuries the other day. If he gets sucked into thinking Novak won’t be at his best, he’ll be 2 sets down and serving to serving to stay in the match before he knows it. Classic Djokovic. Champions gain every , every edge possible - even before the match. 

Having myself a bit of Jeremy Vine while working from home today. I'm not sure who the snobby women is on it, but she is typical of a conservative voter. Sticking up for Zawahiri and the rich saying they are from humble beginnings that's how they earn money and give jobs to thousands of people. Thinking nothing of the poor, harsh, but she is actually a despicable women in her views, everything that's wrong with the government.

Ahhh. it's Tina Knight.

Edited by foreveryoung

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Could be set up for De Minaur later on. 23, seriously fit - reminds me a lot of Hewitt in that he has no outstanding shot in his arsenal but solid game. Will be a massively partisan crowd. Needs to be careful not to get dragged into the Djokovic head ****-y when he starts going on about injuries the other day. If he gets sucked into thinking Novak won’t be at his best, he’ll be 2 sets down and serving to serving to stay in the match before he knows it. Classic Djokovic. Champions gain every , every edge possible - even before the match. 

His easiest match yet. 

Tide turning for American tennis , finally ? 3 men in the last 8. Guaranteed semi finalist as 2 of these play each other. Post Sampras and Agassi, Roddick carried the weight of expectation. I’m general since they’ve produced a very specific type of player. Insanely tall ( Querrey, Isner ) big serve and basic. Korda and Shelton look supremely talented. 

It's going to come down to Tsitipas, which is hardly ideal, he's a bit of a dick too, but anyone, ANYONE needs to beat this **** insecure vaccine dodging prick. **** off novax. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

It's going to come down to Tsitipas, which is hardly ideal, he's a bit of a dick too, but anyone, ANYONE needs to beat this **** insecure vaccine dodging prick. **** off novax. 

Tsitsipas is flaky. There’s a reason he’s not won a slam yet. Khachanov might beat him. 

Yeah, Khachanov seems to have found some consistency lately. But Tsitipas has at least the experience of nearly beating Djokovic in a final, though pissing away a 2 set lead might be worse for the nerves I guess.  Sadly, the freak will probably win again. 

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Whatever his stance on vaccines which i don’t agree with - as a soon to be 22 time grand slam champion, playing ( this year in particular ) against an absolute partisan crowd, i don’t think insecurity is in this guys make up. 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Tennis is still more or less Novax or Nadal when fit or allowed to play for the mens, and a random draw in the hat for the winner for the women.

Nadal when fit in the French. Djokovic when fit or allowed to play dominates the Australian open and Wimbledon. The US Open is a free for all except Djokovic is not allowed to play in that. I think its remarkable that at 35 years of age Djokovic is still the man to beat. I dont think anybody can beat Djokovic unless they play their best match ever and then some. He knows his time is running out and hes on  a mission to win more slams than anybody else and then their can be no argument over who's the GOAT

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Nadal when fit in the French. Djokovic when fit or allowed to play dominates the Australian open and Wimbledon. The US Open is a free for all except Djokovic is not allowed to play in that. I think its remarkable that at 35 years of age Djokovic is still the man to beat. I dont think anybody can beat Djokovic unless they play their best match ever and then some. He knows his time is running out and hes on  a mission to win more slams than anybody else and then their can be no argument over who's the GOAT

There is a lot of arguments over that. It's only the last 30 odd years that all the players have been bothered to actually played in the AO. Borg couldn't be arsed at all.

Plus the whole professional era, and the the fact that Laver in his peak didn't play in the slams and still managed the grand slam twice.

Plus Novax is a utter word removed.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â